Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

looking at final drives, is there away to identify a 1997-2000 model, just by looking?

thank you,

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Yes there is...........

It's usually attached to a 1997-2000 Goldwing.

Seriously though,

Other than taking it to bits I doubt it. I know that up to 1993 there were no differences according to the Parts lists.

A 1997-2000 may have a slightly different gearing but i'm not sure.

Someone will be along with a definitive answer soon.

Dave.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Mark, final drives are the same from 91 up on the 1500s, and the gearing is the same on all models of the 1500s. 97 and up had a different shift fork (better) in the trans, and a cheaper (worse)alternator, but that was the main differences in the mechanicals.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

The plastic shield is different on later (1991 and later) ones and that is the only visible difference I can spot.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Mark, final drives are the same from 91 up on the 1500s, and the gearing is the same on all models of the 1500s. 97 and up had a different shift fork (better) in the trans, and a cheaper (worse)alternator, but that was the main differences in the mechanicals.:smiler:

Gene:action:

The plastic shield is different on later ones and that is the only visible difference I can spot.

just trying to learn still. what about item # 1 in parts finche? it shows a bearing on the 97 and up but 91 model doesnt. thats the bearing difference. 91 model has a smaller hole than the 97 i'm thinking. i know that hole is different on the valk.

hope this made sense.

but thank ya for the help and replies. finally found a valk final:claps:

man i love this site, thank you steve

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

The only difference I ws aware of, and it isn't quite part of the final drive, is that 97 and up used a valkyrie ujoint for the drive shaft and had to use the valk ujoint boot. The Valk ujoint was a little more beefier thN THE STANDARD gl1500 ONE. At first on the 97's Honda was still using the GL1500 boot and had numerous incidents of the boot tearing apart. The fix wa to change over to the Valk boot and everything was fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.