Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have wondered about a "Technical Article" page. A page where Steve could put up technical articles about various repair procedures or problems that have been submitted to him by people who know what they are talking about.

Sometimes searching for posts related to your problem can be frustrating and time consuming. I seea lot of repeat problems that have the same answer over and over. If we hadsomeplace to refer peopleto where these repair procedures have been written up in detail, it might save some time and possibly preventincorrect advice by well meaning posters.

I have read some excellent advice from several people with extensive detail in procedures, tools and parts needed etc. I am referring to problems like hard wiring stators, brake/clutch bleeding, starter rebuilds, timing belt replacement etc.

It could be listed on the board as "Technical Articles" or something.

Just a thought!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Good idea, if we could allow for pictures also, we'd have our own manual.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I hate to break your bubble,, but I suggested this last year... got shot down.. :(

If you look back in the archives under renegade, you'll find my suggestions... I felt it should be like a quick reference type of tech listing... :baffled:

Good luck... :grinner:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Your suggestion was a bit different Renegade, in that it looked like you wantedthe forum adminsto sort all the tech posts into various groups for the different models and tasks. No wonder that's a no-go as it would be an enormous job and would have to be updated all the time as new posts came in. I'd say that Steve and Ciaran have enough to do, they both have jobs and this site doesn't pay and costs money to run.
I can't see they guys sitting around every day sorting posts into various slots just because some members can't bother to use the search button.

Now Bob's idea is different and better (easier to implement). If I read you right Bob, a section of the forum where we could do a post on say "changing brake pads on a GL1100" etc. I think that would be a greeat reference area. It could probably be made more efficient if it was a post-once area (ie no replies) so as to keep the rubbish out. That way the members themselves could supplly the tutorials in a "How To" section of the forum and it would take the load off the forum chiefs.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Will this really be worth the troublle of setting up? I mean for a start I can point to at least 5 new members who posted questions last week and the same questions had already been asked and answered only the day before by other members. Some of these people just don't bother to read down the posts, never mind search.
It's a great thought Bob, Ted& Renegade, but I see it as just putting up another page that most people just won't read. They will find the forum, not bother to search or read and then just ask their question anyway.

Here's some topics that were brought up, and had already been discussed only aday beofre (just a few posts away) by other people;

Inseamtopic here

(already answered here only yesterday)

GL1000 engine swaphere

(already answered here only two days back)

No offence to the new members concerned, but these are just two examples of questions that were alreadyanswered only a few posts down the page, so they didn't have to be searched for really.
If most people just won't look at what's already there, why make yet another section for reference when the same questions will still be asked. I'm into music and I visit a few forums. I've seen this done before and it was a waste of time and effort by the forum members that really do care.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

You're right on Brian, but thats human nature. Easier to type and wait than to bother searching or browsing on a new forum. Theres so much tech stuff here these days that I suppose many members don't want to search. Another reason they prefer to ask instead is because of the high % of responses and interaction from the good members here.They all dive in and try to help and this gives reassurance to the newbie. It's called the personal touch.
Bottom line in my view is that if it's not a major undertaking and some of the mechanically adept people here got involved in preparing the articles, then it might be worthwhile. I'm sure it wouldn't take up much more forum space and the wingnut is an obliging sort who will go along if he thinks it will help out fellow Goldwingers.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Okay, lets put this into perspective. If we accept that some people need to be held by the hand and no matter how easy it is, just won't use this new proposed facility, we have to also accept that many others will find it useful.

Now we have to ask how it could be implemented. Someone will have to put together the likely technical questions and put it out to the forum members to submit their "how to" articles and submit them either directly to the new forum section, or to the wingnut or maybe a volunteer (new moderator perhaps) so that they can check it out and insert it on th eforum.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

I think this is a good idea boys. :cooler:
Just because some people might not bother to use it is no reason why the rest of us who would benefit should be left out because of it. In any case it will serve a useful purpose. For instance, if another newbies posts "GL1000 engine swap", all we need do is link him to the article in the reference forum instead of having to type it all out again.
I reckon that Steve will be all on for this, if it can be done in such a way that he isn't left doing all this himself. It's all to easy to talk about this and look for things to be done, but those of us asking better be prepared to help out, instead of just putting their hands out for more free stuff. I know I'd be happy to contribute my limited skills, what about Renegade, Bob, Tony, Ted, Brian, Al and Eddie who got this tread rolling?

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Jeezze i might get a fancy title yet. :leprechaun:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

As a newbie myself to both this forum and Goldwings and motorcycles in general I feel this would be VERY benneficial. Sure not everyone will use it, but not everyone will need it either. I know I would use the heck out of it. I suggest that if one is made, as stated before, make it a one time post deal. Kind of like a D-I-Y how-to post.

Something along the lines of what this gentleman has done for his Corolla: http://vamp.darkravers.net/DIY.cfm?Size=Full

Only in forum fashion. Just make sure if one is made, PLEASE list the type of bike and year(s) it applies to. I'd hate to look at a great write-up on how to install andproperly setthe timing belt on a gl1000 and find out it's not for the same setup as I have in mine and have to do it twice or risk messing up my motor.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Funny how these things crop up. Vic/Goldwinger1984 was asking me about this only a couple of days back. I think it would be a better addition than putting existing posts into an archive. I don't like archives, archives are just a fancy way of making things harder and more frustrating to find. I'm all for keeping web sites simple and easy to use, with everything easy to access, so please don't suggest an archive.

If enough people are willing to do the articles, then just let me know. For instance, if you can think of a job you did on your GL1500 (like changing timing belts) and you are able to detail how you did it, then that's what we need. It's up to the forum members to supply the content (I can't do this for you lads, it's all up to you) for this and when we get enough articles we can set up the Reference section. If you already detailed some jobs in older posts, just copy & paste them in a new message and we can use that.

I'm still not sure about the best way to do it, but after reading some of the suggestions here and doing the PM thing with Vic, I think maybe a Reference forum with specific sub-sections for each model. Then the topics with the job descriptions (brake pad change, fork oil change etc...). Making them read only will keep rubbish and misleading follow-up posts at bay.
I'm open to suggestions on this. If there is a better/different way of doing it, this is the place to suggest it.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

I have to agree it would be a great addition to an allready great site:clapper:....

As an admin of another forum I know it gets frusterating having something posted once, answered,then almost the exact same thing posted just a few days, sometimes hours later.

I think it is up to the admins,mod's if they want to, and can handle another forum to "watch":cool:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

This sounds an excellent idea, providing it is, as Steve says, simple and easy for idiots like me to naavigate. I would like to be able to have an almost manual like posting to read and use.

I appreciate that this may be hard to set up, but I think most of us would find it extemely helpful.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

I too think its a great idea

what should happen FIRST though is get some volunteers to write one article each then post it for any editing goofs etc then after some gurus finish kicking it around then post to a no reply section No disrespect but I've seen some not quite correct shall we say advice handed out here and the more people looking first the better and more accurate it would be

Then gurus etc can refer newbees to appropriate thread with out all the some old replies

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
I too think its a great idea

what should happen FIRST though is get some volunteers to write one article each then post it for any editing goofs etc ...
I think thats the general idea. As the wingnut wrote; "If enough people are willing to do the articles, then just let me know."

If we don't do it then it's not going to be a runner, so it's up to us. It's a good way of keeping accurate articles in one place, and the people who inadvertently post inaccurate stuff (as tends to happen on forums) won't get their stuff passed for the reference section..

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

OK I'll be the first vollunteer As I just went through charging problems on my 86 asp I could wriite a what to and how to test stator reg and some repair notes

Neil

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey :stumped: What the hell will i write about. :? Im sure no one wants to know anything about my Honda 50. :crying:

:whinger: :18red: :whinger:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Good man Neil. You' re the third volunteer so far. Will you send me the article via PM please? When we get enough of them and check for typos etc. I will put them all up on the new section. I will post all the articles under the contributors profiles, so you get the credit for it and the extra post count.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

May I suggest that the moderators review and critique the articles before posting.

Thought should be given to completeness and visual aids, such as pictures or drawings.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I just replaced another burned out stator in a GL1200... As soon as I can, I'll take a picture if it and submit an article..

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.