Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently started a podcast called WingCast (only 1 episode so far but more to come) and we're thinking about adding a segment where Fred Harmon answers technical questions submitted by the Gold Wing community. If you think of a question please let us know and it might be featured in a future episode of WingCast.

If you don't already know, Fred is one of the foremost authorities when it comes to the Honda Gold Wing. Riders all over the world look to him for his wealth of knowledge and he has become one of the most respected voices in the Gold Wing community. He is a great resource, in our humble opinion, for anyone interested in DIY maintenance on their Wing.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
That's easy - Get your bottle of DOT4 and put a new bike around it! 🤣

·
Registered
606 Posts
As everyone knows, PO (Previous Owner) wiring is the worst kind of problem.
Background: I just bought an '03 that the PO had wired a Gerbig rider & passenger system, as well as LED lights all over the bike.
Since it was new to me, I tore it down to replace the air filter and do some cleaning. After putting it back together, there was a short somewhere that took a fully charged battery down to nothing when turning on the key. I unhooked the add-on lights and heating from the battery and it stays charged with no problem now.
Finally the question, is there an easy way to find out where the issue is without tracing every wire?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
As everyone knows, PO (Previous Owner) wiring is the worst kind of problem.
Background: I just bought an '03 that the PO had wired a Gerbig rider & passenger system, as well as LED lights all over the bike.
Since it was new to me, I tore it down to replace the air filter and do some cleaning. After putting it back together, there was a short somewhere that took a fully charged battery down to nothing when turning on the key. I unhooked the add-on lights and heating from the battery and it stays charged with no problem now.
Finally the question, is there an easy way to find out where the issue is without tracing every wire?
You can buy a short finder for $26 or so. You just add the circuit breaker to the circuit if the draw is large. You would not need it on a light draw like you have. Then slive the inductive meter along side the wire. The meter will sense the EMF from the flowing current. When you start at the battery the meter will move because of the unwanted power flowing. as you move along the meter should remain steady until you go past the short or failed part. When the meter goes to zero there is the problem.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
552 Posts
What is the best way to fix sticky switches? That has been asked and answered a thousand times and a thousand different ways, but it would be great to have a podcast or something with it captured for posterity that could be referred to.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
552 Posts
How to install high beam headlights (there are a few tricks that make it way easier, and what do you do with that big block of three harness connectors?)

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
552 Posts
Are JIS screw drivers required, or will any modern ground Phillips suffice?

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
552 Posts
Is the ADV necessary, or can it be disabled? If it's necessary, can it be DIY rebuilt?

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
552 Posts
How does a new GW owner know if their used suspension is worn?

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
552 Posts
How long do brake pads last, how often should you check them, how do you check them, how do you replace them if worn out?

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
552 Posts
Where is the best place to hide a spare key?

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
552 Posts
How do I get rid of the annoying cruise control lag?

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
Reactions: This Recruit

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
How to check steering head bearing (Centre Stand, smooth left to right movement of handlebars) - Electronics maintenance (seems all 1800's having the sticking mute and hazard light buttons etc, also corrosion on fuse blades in the fuse box (Annual electrical contact spray down of all electronic buttons and fuse box and pulling fuses) - Products to use and not use on windshields - 1800's Brake/clutch flush - Rad flush - Air filter replacement.

·
Registered
'90 1500; '00 1500
15 Posts
If you're just looking for direct mechanical questions: Is a gearbox with a bent shifter fork worth fixing, or just deal with the rattle and eventually replace the whole engine assembly?

As someone completely new to Goldwings, going over the differences between GLs and other motorcycles would be nice. Things like features (reverse, towing, extensive electronics, various adjustables, etc), community preferences (oil type, accessories & gear, etc), riding groups & events, social expectations, common problems, mechanical quirks (split rear brake line, wiring/fuses/relays, linkages, etc), maintenance intervals... it's a whole-ass thing for a newbie.
Personally I'd really like to hear about the history, design, and manufacturing, especially from the perspective of Honda.

I'm pretty deep into podcasts so I'm really excited to see where you guys take this one. Best of luck.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
Lots of opinions out there about most of your questions. Probably a podcast or two, as well.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,789 Posts
Recruit. There is a complete history of Goldwings through the years posted on this site. Look it up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts