Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone had a problem with the odometer stopping. Mine became intermittent and stopped completely. Everything else on the dash works fine. No problems anywhere else. I have it apart now and the plastic gears are fine. Is there a way to test the motor. Or would you have some other ideas. I find nothing about this in my service manual. Thanks foryour help.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Gary, Welcome to a great forum and as time goes on you will see more of the same. Oh! can you let us know what part of the world your from,as there could be a member next door to you. What year is your 1200? Does the speedo run off the front wheel mechanical or does it have an electric sensor. If it is a sensor, that could be bad. Just a thought or two. Let us know. :waving: :)

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

garycarl,

If you have an '87 Aspencade like your post sub-title says, then you have a electro-mechanical speed sensor assembly that attaches to your left front wheel hub. From that, there is no speedometer cable, but rather an electrical cable that goes up to your digital instrument cluster.

If your speed sensor goes out, your odometer, speedometer, and cruise control will all not work.

When mine died, upon disasssembly I found that the plastic input drive gear that mounts on the wheel shaft had split in two pieces, so it no longer turned the speedo sensor.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

I had this problem on my '86 Aspy. Turned out to be a poor/corroded contact on the back of the unit. Bit of a game to get to, but just cleaned it up and all was well!

Good luck

Les

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thankyou guys for your input. I live in north central Kansas. I don't think my problem is the speed sensor beings everything else works. I have the unit out. My plan is to oil the little motor with a drop of WD - 40 and then spray the connections with contact cleaner and go back together. Then I'll wait for a warm day to go for a ride to find out if it worked. I'm hopeing its just the contacts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.