Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

GL 1500 1988 model.
Have 112000 miles, have owned since 05, never had any misfire before!

Riding along, doing about 70 - 75 mph, after about 3 hrs, the engine suddenly died, no poff, no pangs, ran flawless untill engine stopped, like cutt with a scissor, plenty power on battery, starter runs, but no sign of firing, absolutely nothing!
I hsve from time to time had a issue with the stop switch on the right handlebar, but then if tapped on the switch in "run" position it always fired right up, not so this time, where should i start?

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

i will start at cleaning the stop switch on the right handlebar with an electric cleaner as you said you had previous problems with this switch.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

I believe I would start the easy things.
First: Fuse #2, Ign. Cruise Fuse, 15 amp in the Fuse/Relay Box.
Next: Switch relay #8, Ign Cruise Relay (Fuse/Relay Box) with another same type relay.
Next: Inspect and clean the Engine Stop (Run/Kill) Switch. Probably should do this anyway since you have had problems.
These are the only things in the circuit supplying 12 volts to the Ignition Coils.
Fuse #12, Tail/Ign fuse supplies 12 volts power to energize the Ign Cruise Relay, along with using theBank Angle Sensor for a path to ground.
Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,883 Posts
imported post

Hate to add this but if the left side timing belt breaks that is exactly what will happen. Dead instantly and won't re-start. Hope this isn't the case.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

possible the bank angle switch ,,, they are the exact symptoms ,but would normally start right up after the ignition is turned off and on again ,But it could be completely stuck ,, it is under the passenger seat on the right hand side as you sit on the bike ,just under the frame near the side box ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Got bike home yesterday, had to pick it up some 180 miles away, made a shortcut on the two wires on "kill" switch, fired right up, running as used to, thanks for all tip and hints...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.