Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am a pretty big guy. I am also pretty strong. I have to admit that it takes me several tries to get the bike on the center stand. It really makes me feel like I am a weak puppy.

Do y'all use the center stand primarily, or do you use the side stand?

If you use the center stand, what is the best method you found to use it?

I give a huge jerk with my foot following with a hard push down on the stand with both feet of the stand touching ground.After a few tries, it works with great relief.

So what is the secret to an easy use of the center stand? I may have to lube it I think.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Push the stand to the floor with the right leg. Centre bike so you can feel both feet of the stand on the deck. With right hand on Passenger grabrail push down hard on the stand lever with ALL of your wheight, whilst pulling up and back with the grab handle. Should come up easy and smooth. It's all in the technique. I'm quita small and can do it really easy. My mate is much bigger and stronger but struggles. Practice -practice...........Steve

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Push the stand to the floor with the right leg. Centre bike so you can feel both feet of the stand on the deck. With right hand on Passenger grabrail push down hard on the stand lever with ALL of your wheight, whilst pulling up and back with the grab handle. Should come up easy and smooth. It's all in the technique. I'm quita small and can do it really easy. My mate is much bigger and stronger but struggles. Practice -practice...........Steve

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Hi. I have a Gl1100I had some trouble until I saw a video
somewhere on this site. You put left hand on handle grip,
right foot on center stand, right hand on bar by saddle
bag. Push down on stand with foot while pulling up with right hand. It will kinda pop up. This is so easy. In the
video it said you would feel kinda silly after you know how
, I did.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

First thing is the bike has to be straight up and down and not leaning towards you. Left hand on handlebar and right hand on seat handle grip. Step on center stand with right foot whole pulling up and back with both arms. I think most people have problems because they lean the bike towards them because it feels like it will fall away from them, but it won't.

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

I agree that the most important part is that both legs of the center stand are touching the ground (No lean).

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

Howdy Conley. I'm gonna throw my dos centavos in here because I too was centerstand challenged. The key word is the very first one in your post- "Technique". There's sort of a trick to it. If you are having a hard to very hard time getting the scooter on it's perch then you are doing it wrong. I should know because it been quite a hoot to watch me simulating take downs with various undeserving motos over the years. What was the trick? Aside from all the excellent aforementioned procedures presented here, the key for me was simply stepping DOWN on the cleat of the stand with sufficient force that allows the fulcrum effect of the stand to do all the work. It's not a question of muscle. The more I tried to wrestle it up on the stand the more I looked like I was on the losing end of a jujitsu match. Not Cool! Now what would be cool is when you get your center stand mojo workin', take a short clip of it and post it. A little practice and, like me, you'll be surprised how easy it is.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I'm not a guy who possesses upper body strength, and since my back is shot, my lower body strength went with it. Yet, I have no problem getting the bike up on the center stand. I don't know. Everyone suggests pulling up while pushing down on the stand lever, but I'm off the ground when I do it so I don't know how much pulling I'm doing. I just make sure it is on both legs of the center stand before I start. That's the disconcerting thing because it might feel like you are about to tip it over the other side. Then I guess I push down and pull up, but both my feet leave the ground and the bike rolls right up on the stand.
I think once you see a video or watch another winger, you will get the technique and it will become easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.