Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all,

I'm looking for a little help from you experts.

I've been riding Harley's since 1976. I just sold my '03 100th Anny RoadGlide a couple weeks ago and now my custom chopper. I want to get a sidecar rig so I can take my dog with me on rides. I looked at a 1990 GL1500 with 45K miles on it. It's very clean and everything works but it does need a new clutch. What else should I look for? The price seams pretty cheap ($4500 with the sidecar) so I'm wondering what else might be bad.I have never riden one of these before so I have no idea what to expect. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a good deal, clutches are not to bad to replace.
How do you know it has a bad clutch? Did the owner tell you, or did you test ride it and find out that way?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Owner told me. I want to bring it to a dealer tomorrow to have it checked out but was wondering what else to look for.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

Just general things, like evidence of a crash, handling problems or any damage.
The 1500's were bullet proof in my book.

Might want to look into new timing belts if you buy it.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks, John. When should timing belts be replaced (mileage)? Any idea of a ballpark price on that and clutch?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

$4500 with a hack is an excellent price even if the bike needs a fair amount of work, normally a '90 with low mileage like that would go for $6000+. Sounds to me like you got a rare deal.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

You need a new clutch because of the added drag of the side car. See if you are able to get a performance clutch pack to help the clutch life last.

Have the dealer check the swing arm bushings as well as the front wheel bearings & neck bearings. The side car adds alot of force against these parts so they might also be pre maturly wearing out.

If that one doesnt pan out, Im selling an 88 Electra glide classic with a Sputnik side car here on Vancouver Island;)

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Buster's sensitive ears will enjoy the quiet ride.

On a 1990, plan on replacing e/thing possible, so you can ride in confidence. A bike must have a good 'Peace-of-Mind' factor since it's a de-stressing tool as well.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Okay, the deal is done and it's in my garage! I'm an official Gold Wing owner! :waving:

The clutch seams to work fine, it just rattles at idle in neutral. When you pop it in gear the noise goes away. Any ideas on that?

It runs great but does pull and squat a little on acceleration and decelleration. I only rode it down the street and turned around. I need to practice with it some before heading out on the road. It does steer pretty hard but I didn't go very fast. I'll play with it some more when I get home.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

ChiliPepperGarage wrote:
Okay, the deal is done and it's in my garage! I'm an official Gold Wing owner! :waving:

The clutch seams to work fine, it just rattles at idle in neutral. When you pop it in gear the noise goes away. Any ideas on that?

It runs great but does pull and squat a little on acceleration and decelleration. I only rode it down the street and turned around. I need to practice with it some before heading out on the road. It does steer pretty hard but I didn't go very fast. I'll play with it some more when I get home.
I have never ridden a sidecar rig but I understand they corner much different that a regular bike. Be darn carefull till you get some experience!:shock:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

ChiliPepperGarage wrote:

Congrats on the hack..

Yaa.. my clutchdoes the same thing.. no sidecar and 18,000 miles... sounds normal to me.. If it is not slipping and shifts normally (i.e.,clutch disengages properly to get in gear) I wouldn't worry at this point.. If the 45,000 is honest, even with a side car, I would not expect the clutch to be worn out..

And, although I support the notion that changing timing belts is important, I note that far more engines are damaged by improper installation of belts than by broken belts.

SDB/Jim

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
ChiliPepperGarage wrote:

Congrats on the hack..

Yaa.. my clutchdoes the same thing.. no sidecar and 18,000 miles... sounds normal to me.. If it is not slipping and shifts normally (i.e.,clutch disengages properly to get in gear) I wouldn't worry at this point.. If the 45,000 is honest, even with a side car, I would not expect the clutch to be worn out..

And, although I support the notion that changing timing belts is important, I note that far more engines are damaged by improper installation of belts than by broken belts.

SDB/Jim
Yes, the clutch seams to work just fine and it shifts normal, just sounds like marbles in a dryer when in neutral.!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

FWIW, I changed out both belts on my 83 with 41k miles and they looked fine. Ditto for the one on my 97 ST1100 after 97k miles, but that's a different animal.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

82winginvegas wrote:
Looks like a matching paint job could be in your future. As a fellow Weim owner, I'm partial to grey! Great lookin ride! Welcome to the forum.:waving: Lots of good people here!
Thanks, 82. I used to live in Henderson and still own a house there. I would bring Buster to the dog park off of Flamingo just east of Boulder Highway quite often. Have you ever gone there?

Don't know if you are aware of them or not but there is a Weimy rescue in Vegas too.

http://www.vegasweimrescueclub.org/WEIMRESCUE

:)

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, a great group of people here. All ready to help and chat.

Did the PO recently replace the altenator? The reason I'm asking is I replaced mine this year with a compufire but I didn't replace the rubber bumpers that they recomend to replace but I didn't. When I started it up it sounded like something was loose, rattleling and vibrating against something. Once I replaced the rubber bumpers everything was OK again.

Just a Idea...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.