Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The temp gauge on my 1200 isn't working anymore. When I turn the key on everything lights up including the temp gauge but when I run bike for awhile nothing registers on the gauge. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

If you have done nothing to knock a wire loose, I'd bet on the sending unit in the block.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

I"m having the same issue on my 83 "A" I taken apart the wires in behind the weight(one of 10,000 wires in there) and cleaned the connector from the digital dash. I've run it a couple times this winter and the gauge has worked. I have a new sending unit ready to install but it looks like a lot has to come apart to change it so I'll see if cleaning it works first.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

The easiest and first test is pull the wire off the sending unit and ground it, if the gauge moves up the it's the sender.If not it's in the wiring or the gauge.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
The easiest and first test is pull the wire off the sending unit and ground it, if the gauge moves up the it's the sender.If not it's in the wiring or the gauge.
That would be the first thing but on on my bike you can't even see the sending unit much less pull the plug off. The thermostat housing or the intake runners would have to come off to even get your hands on it.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

wing ding wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
That would be the first thing but on on my bike you can't even see the sending unit much less pull the plug off. The thermostat housing or the intake runners would have to come off to even get your hands on it.
Figure out which wire it is, find it at an accessible point, stick a needle through the wire and use a alligator clip and jumper wire to ground it out. Kit

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

You can disconnect the six pin plug at the left side of the bike after removing the false tank.

It is a 6 pin plug, the wire that you can put to ground is blue with a red plastic tube for ID. There are two grounds (ASPY) make sure that they have good ground connection. One of them is for the Sending unit. On the Interstate there is only one ground as on that model the sending unit is grounded through the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.