Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

once agin i just bought my first bike and was wondering what is a normal reading on the temp gauge to me i took it for a short ride and it seemed to get kinda high

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Since I don't have an ASPY with the digital dash I really can't say but most of the guys here that do say about 3 bars showing is normal. Some of them will be along to verify that or not.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

What's the temp outside?? generally about 1/3 the way up is normal in moderate temps, above 85 or 90 up to 1/2 is normal, at 2/3 to 3/4 it's running a little too hot in 75 or less temps. It's all relative

Lots of choices for why, low water, plugged galleys, bad pump, bad switch, bad thermo, bad fan or fan switch??

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

#1. Good purchase.
#2. This forum is the best of it's kind. These guys are awesome and truly knowledgeable.
#3. My bike just started the same thing and I'm in the middle of reading up. If you run a search on overheating there are gobs of posts on it. But there's almost too much information to go through easily. Start with the basics first. Do you have enough coolant in the radiator and overflow reservoir? Is your radiator cap holding pressure? (Is the cap's rubber seal around the collar operational?) After getting the bike warm does it run higher temperatures while riding over 35-mph? Does it cool of while moving and overheat while sitting still? Answering these questions can then lead you to the next set of well known maintenance issues. Like the thermostat could be stuck, and needs replaced or the radiator could be clogged. Fan switch associated with the bike overheating while sitting still at idle. Less likely but still are issues on these bikes could be cross flow tubes o-rings are leaking, the water pump impeller broken or worst case, blown head gasket.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

With a regular factory analogue guage mine reads about 1/3 to 1/2 up the guage when moving.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The temp gauge on my '83 Interstate is always between the narrow and wide area on the gauge while cruising in hot or cool weather and has operated like this since Jan 25th 1983.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

if your temp gauge is reading hot just a few minutes after you start the bike and your fuel gauge reads full when you know its not, chances are, its your 7v regulater, if its faulty it will read 12v.

or, as RB says

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If you leave it sitting for a while the fan should cycle on and off as the temperature reaches the higher levels

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.