Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The temperature guage on the bike isn't registering anything no matter how long it runs. The PO had the following parts replaced on 9/15/08: Thermostat switch, Thermostat unit and sending unit. There are no disconnected or broken wires that I can find. There is juice on the inside connecter to the guage, but nothing on the outer wire. I'm beginning to wonder if the guage itself is bad.

Any idea's on how I test to see if it is the guage>

By the way, the fuel guage works and is accurate and it isn't the fuse in the fuse box as the brake lights which are on the same fuse works fine.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I suppose that checking a known good guage would be the only way... or check to see if you are getting voltage at the guage wires

·
Administrator
26,153 Posts
imported post

If you ground the green/blue wire the temp gauge should go to hot, if not it must be the gauge.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I did this once before for someone but I can not remember the readings. I know the book provides reading for the fuel gage but not the temp gage.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I started to post on this earlier but didn't because I didn't want to give in-correct advice.

That being said, is it possible to put a meter on the wire that comes from the sender and watch the resistance change as the motor warms up? I'm thinking that the resistance would go down as the temp increases allowing more voltage to the gauge, hence a higher reading on the gauge as more voltage is allowed.

Am I off track on this?

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I'm sorry Hobie1, did you say something?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I started to post on this earlier but didn't because I didn't want to give in-correct advice.

That being said, is it possible to put a meter on the wire that comes from the sender and watch the resistance change as the motor warms up? I'm thinking that the resistance would go down as the temp increases allowing more voltage to the gauge, hence a higher reading on the gauge as more voltage is allowed.

Am I off track on this?

Regards,

Hobie
Yes the resistance of the sending unit decreases as the temp goes up.But what you will see on that wire is the voltage change not a resistance change. A static resistance reading of the gage is about the only way I know to check the gage other than swapping it out.

Now if you were to shut off the bike at various points and check the resistance from the sensor tip to ground you would see the changes but without a accurate reading of the case/ oil temp you would not have a good comparrison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.