Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Temporarily a non-wing owner- new bike!

4K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  rpeters549 
#1 ·
So, some might remember that I got rear-ended back in August. As the spousal unit and I will not do any major touring for a few years (I am eligible to retire in 2, probably going to do so in 7) we decided to go different for now. This bike is still very comfortable and quiet, even for a passenger. Good weather protection. LOTS of performance and goodies! Bike has plug ports for rider and passenger for heated gear, XM, Bluetooth, electronic suspension, ABS/traction control, etc. And a warranty! We will get another Wing near retirement time so I plan to stay active here. The new bike is a new 2015 Triumph Trophy SE. My trunk kit should arrive this Wednesday. The fact that I also average 45-55 mpg is a bonus. Anywho, here it is...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yup. I read a MC mag 'shootout' between this bike, the Concourse, ST1300, and BMW. Take the BMW away because for as much more money as it costs, it won almost everything. But, the Triumph got highest marks in comfort, weather protection and scored a little lower in outright performance, probably because it won the other categories. I have over 700 miles on it and I find the handlebar reach more comfortable than my Goldwing, but at the cost of a bit more knee bend. Not bad, just a little different.
With a 20k valve check interval, maintenance is also quite reasonable. And with a 6.6 gallon tank I can potentially have better than a 300 mile range.

Reactions: CrystalPistol
#5 ·
I installed a cup holder yesterday :) . When my trunk kit arrives she will have a backrest. Spoke to a guy who has better than 60k on his 2013 model, lots of it two-up, and according to him his wife loves it. There are handholds next to the seat right above the saddlebags.

#6 ·
And for the next few years, other than occasional 2 or 3 day trips, it is just me going to work and back most of the time. I will add a passenger cup holder after I decide the best spot for it.

Reactions: AZgl1800
#7 ·
I don't see how or why the compared the mighty ST 1300 since it has been out of production since 2012. I really didn't look at triumph before I purchased my ST 1300 but it may be the bike that replaces it after I get more info on it. might I add that yours looks good in blue

#8 ·
#9 ·
That is a great looking bike!!!! I hope it is as good a ride. Zoom Zoom.

#10 ·
hope you do a couple longer term reviews, It might help me decide between the triumph and the FJR 1300. right now I am happy with the mighty ST 1300 and the 7.7 gallon gas tank doesn't hurt either, I've done 280 mile fuel stops a few times. mpg is about the same as your triumph. I have a sargent saddle and a clearview windshield

#12 ·
Read that review I posted and look at a few others. The FJR is hands down faster/sportier, but I am thrilled with the comfort of the Triumph as well as its higher level of comfort and weather protection. On the 'Wing my upper shoulders would sometimes get tight/sore after a real long ride, but I have yet to experience that with the Trophy. And it was 150 miles just to ride it home.

#11 ·
I am all stock since it is so new. Thinking about their touring windscreen which is a little wider and taller. Don't really need taller since it electrically adjusts a lot higher than I think I would ever want it. It is also pre-wired for heated seats and grips. Planning to get the grips later, but my butt never seems to get cold. Maybe it is because of the volume of hot air blowing out of it :whoops: .
But, I will happily post experiences here, too. There is a darkside option, a 205/55/17 Pirelli or Michelin, the Pirelli being a run-flat. Not sure on that though.
The glovebox and trunk both have USB and 12v ports, too.

#14 ·
The BMW is nice, but they have more mechanical issues than people realize, and almost NOBODY but a BMW shop will work on them. Not an option in my opinion.
BMW= Bring My Wallet.

I got my new 2015 for under 14K and am very happy. The luggage actually moves side-to-side for better high speed handling. A little odd when you go to open the saddlebag and it moves, but seems to work well. The luggage is VERY weatherproof! Every time I open a saddlebag I can hear the air 'whoosh' as it unseals/seals!

#15 ·
Pic of bike set up for two...
Still, perfect for now, but a GW will be its replacement.
I do love the power and 50+ mpg at the present...

Attachments

Reactions: detdrbuzzard
#18 ·
I kinda like the design of the 3 bags. The paint color is a 'skin' that fits over the bag. Drop the bike and scrape the paint bad? Just replace the color matched skin (5 screws) if the actual bag is good, which it most likely is.
Power is impressive (132 horse power) with a weight around 700 pounds. Set the cruise at 60 and expect around 55-60 mpg to boot.
I admit I am really enjoying it. But yes, I will go back to a Wing for serious touring in a few years.

I am just under 1000 miles on it now/already...
:)

#19 ·
There is a guy in Arizona who is removing all the parts he can (handle bars, both stands, etc) and powder coating them black to match the bike. I commented that it looked 'sinister'. The pics he has posted look real nice!

#20 ·
3 month update. I love it (but I will get a Goldwing at/near retirement) and so far no issues. I have about 2300 trouble free miles on it. Lots of ice (no riding this up coming week) so limited riding time. Weather protection has been great, comfort is great. And power? God yes!
It has one quirk that Triumph recognizes but does not fix. It has the traditional dial speedo and tach as well as a central digital display that you can have three functions showing. I usually have the digital speedo, trip meter, and average mpg fields showing. When the temp is at or near freezing the digital speedo does not work. Dial one does. A quirk I can live with.
I have customized it with a cup holder, lowered foot pegs, and the stock European seat (America gets the 'low rider' seat and is about an inch lower). My real fuel economy average is between 47-51. Not bad for having 130 horsies on tap and a 10k redline.
So, I am thrilled, but will still go back to a 'Wing in a few years.
Oh - longevity? Numerous people have 50k plus on theirs, I know at least one fella who has 90k on his 2013 model. Works for me!

#21 ·
It has one quirk that Triumph recognizes but does not fix. It has the traditional dial speedo and tach as well as a central digital display that you can have three functions showing. I usually have the digital speedo, trip meter, and average mpg fields showing. When the temp is at or near freezing the digital speedo does not work. Dial one does. A quirk I can live with.
There's a fix for that... It's called "Move to Phoenix Arizona"... hee hee... >:):ROFL:

#22 ·
True! But I like having my four seasons. And smaller spiders...

#23 ·
Filled up yesterday. Commuting with some rather spirited riding thrown in yielded a 47 mpg for the tank. And all quite comfortably. Just wish I could tow my trailer...

#25 ·
More than likely the Triumph will be traded or sold. I am not a fan of maintaining multiple bikes. But, that decision will be made at that time. Now that it has some break in miles (at 2650 now) MPG is rising a bit. Looks to be about 50 this tank. Can barely wait for consistently warmer days!

#26 ·
The only Triumph I've owned was an '02 Bonneville America...prettiest bike I've ever had. No mechanical issues, no complaints. The modern Triumphs are GREAT motorcycles. A bud of mine has had a couple of late model Triumphs (one a Tiger) and loved them both...and he's a BMW guy.

#27 ·
Since at least one person was interested in an update, here it is:

Have had it about 18 months and I have passed 14k. Still very comfortable, still very quick. Still getting an average of 47-52 to the gallon mixed riding. I have added a couple minor mods:

I bought the European spec stock seat. It is an inch taller than the US/Canadian version. It still has two height position adjustments so I can get almost another inch of height if I want it.

I added Knight lowering pegs which lowered my feet about 1 1/2 inches. Very comfy riding position now!

I will be ordering a carbon fiber exhaust. Deeper tone with not a lot more noise, easier to keep clean, and about 15-18 pounds lighter than the stock set up.

Debating if I want to buy and install heated grips, I do not want the heated seat (my butt stays plenty warm even in winter). We only got in to the teens a few times this last winter and I did ok.

Anywho, LOVING the factory installed XM and Bluetooth! Also, I can change suspension settings as I ride down the road (comfort, regular, sport modes). Weather protection has been great. Not Goldwing great, but great.

So, there it is. I have an oil change coming up next month (I do it at 5k though the factory recommended is every 10k. Requires full synthetic) and the major service at 20k (valve adjustment is the biggie). Having a 10k factory recommended service interval is kinda nice.

#29 ·
Well CRAP!!

Headed to work a few weeks ago (11/26/18) when wouldn't you know it---- Bambi charges up from the river side of the road and takes me out. Deer hit me at a full run on the left side right in front of the handlebars. This literally takes out the front end so I low-side in to the ditch, landing on my face and rolling rather quickly on to my back. I was going 55-60 and got down to I am guessing 15-20 at impact. Just turned 20k on the bike (had it two years) the week prior.

Could have been a LOT worse. Broken big toe on left foot, 3rd degree tear of AC ligament right shoulder. Safety glasses cut the bridge of my nose. So, back to work as 'light/modified' duty for the next 4 weeks at least. But hopefully no surgery.

Stupid deer.

Bike in shop and waiting on parts. Neither it nor I was totaled...
Glad I keep the modular helmet secured 95% of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.