Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
It has one quirk that Triumph recognizes but does not fix. It has the traditional dial speedo and tach as well as a central digital display that you can have three functions showing. I usually have the digital speedo, trip meter, and average mpg fields showing. When the temp is at or near freezing the digital speedo does not work. Dial one does. A quirk I can live with.
There's a fix for that... It's called "Move to Phoenix Arizona"... hee hee... >:):ROFL:

Discussion starter · #22 ·
True! But I like having my four seasons. And smaller spiders...

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Filled up yesterday. Commuting with some rather spirited riding thrown in yielded a 47 mpg for the tank. And all quite comfortably. Just wish I could tow my trailer...

nice to see the reports of your triumph, glad you are enjoying it. so when you get your next wing will you keep the triumph

Discussion starter · #25 ·
More than likely the Triumph will be traded or sold. I am not a fan of maintaining multiple bikes. But, that decision will be made at that time. Now that it has some break in miles (at 2650 now) MPG is rising a bit. Looks to be about 50 this tank. Can barely wait for consistently warmer days!

The only Triumph I've owned was an '02 Bonneville America...prettiest bike I've ever had. No mechanical issues, no complaints. The modern Triumphs are GREAT motorcycles. A bud of mine has had a couple of late model Triumphs (one a Tiger) and loved them both...and he's a BMW guy.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Since at least one person was interested in an update, here it is:

Have had it about 18 months and I have passed 14k. Still very comfortable, still very quick. Still getting an average of 47-52 to the gallon mixed riding. I have added a couple minor mods:

I bought the European spec stock seat. It is an inch taller than the US/Canadian version. It still has two height position adjustments so I can get almost another inch of height if I want it.

I added Knight lowering pegs which lowered my feet about 1 1/2 inches. Very comfy riding position now!

I will be ordering a carbon fiber exhaust. Deeper tone with not a lot more noise, easier to keep clean, and about 15-18 pounds lighter than the stock set up.

Debating if I want to buy and install heated grips, I do not want the heated seat (my butt stays plenty warm even in winter). We only got in to the teens a few times this last winter and I did ok.

Anywho, LOVING the factory installed XM and Bluetooth! Also, I can change suspension settings as I ride down the road (comfort, regular, sport modes). Weather protection has been great. Not Goldwing great, but great.

So, there it is. I have an oil change coming up next month (I do it at 5k though the factory recommended is every 10k. Requires full synthetic) and the major service at 20k (valve adjustment is the biggie). Having a 10k factory recommended service interval is kinda nice.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Well CRAP!!

Headed to work a few weeks ago (11/26/18) when wouldn't you know it---- Bambi charges up from the river side of the road and takes me out. Deer hit me at a full run on the left side right in front of the handlebars. This literally takes out the front end so I low-side in to the ditch, landing on my face and rolling rather quickly on to my back. I was going 55-60 and got down to I am guessing 15-20 at impact. Just turned 20k on the bike (had it two years) the week prior.

Could have been a LOT worse. Broken big toe on left foot, 3rd degree tear of AC ligament right shoulder. Safety glasses cut the bridge of my nose. So, back to work as 'light/modified' duty for the next 4 weeks at least. But hopefully no surgery.

Stupid deer.

Bike in shop and waiting on parts. Neither it nor I was totaled...
Glad I keep the modular helmet secured 95% of the time.

Bad news, glad you are no worse. I had a deer run into me on an 1100 std, all it did was bend the radiator air scoop, I didn't even have time to brake or even let off the throttle, just kept going. I was lucky. Have had 4 deer strikes in a car.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Back, but have been 'modified duty' (light duty) since. We have a time line in which if I am not released back to full unrestricted duty I could be forced to retire (i have enough time in and am eligible next week, so better than being let go). But I am NOT ready yet on multiple fronts. Time will tell I suppose. So far no surgery, but I am still not normal. Sigh. Bike should be home in a week or so, though not sure if I can ride yet anyway. Still gotta buy a new helmet and rain gear.

I just read this thread. Sorry to hear about the deer strike and your injuries. Hope you are feeling better and are able to ride/work. Deer scare me more than people on cell phones.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Appreciate that! Healing good, but the last bit is going very, very slowly.

Had the bike back and made a bad discovery-- turns out the shop forgot to reinstall the rear caliper. Tried my rear brakes and NOTHING! Turns out it was resting on the driveshaft housing... Bike back to shop.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.