Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Got my rubber hub dampers in, put the rear wheel back on, put on the new (to me) shocks and came a cropper on the rear caliper. No matter what I do the anvil side (inner) pad bears firm on the rotor. Looks like the caliper should be 1/16" further inward to allow the inner pad to clear the rotor. I checked the new rotor against the old one and they are the same with the exception of the wear on the old one, only one spacer and it has to be between the caliper bracket and the swing arm that's where it came from and it won't go any other way. At the moment I'm bollixed, can't see why the damn thing won't go back on the way it came off, admittedly the new pads are thicker, they are EBC rather than Honda but I compared those against each other at the dealer's and they are the same thickness so that's not it. Can't put another spacer in since the caliper bracket slot is centered on the rotor and another spacer would make it rub.

Anyone ever come up with this before?

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Hi,

Hate to sound condescending, but did you already press the pistons back into the caliper? That's all I can think of. The rear wheels are pretty hard to put back on the wrong way...

Jack

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:gunhead::X:gunhead:Sometimes I think it's time to go looking for a rocking chair!:gunhead::X:gunhead:

I can be obtuse, I was standing there at the bench looking at the worn pads that came out of the caliper, one thick, one thin. Classic symptom of a stuck caliper!

Duh, the bushing with the boots on each end where the lower caliper bolt goes through was stuck solid. A little judicious tapping, WD40ing, twisting around gently with vise grips freed it up nicely. Naturally the caliper slipped on smooth as silk this time. I can't believe I was so stupid as to waste a couple hours on such an obvious thing!

:whip::whip::15red::whip::whip:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Is thecaliper floating properly?

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Oh sorry, should read the entire thread before I pop off. Just went through the same thing on my front calipers.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

A little "never seize" goes a long way. I use it on the caliper bolts especially the rear where it gets all the crud.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well after my little contretemps with the rear caliper I finally put the RED ONE back together. I can't believe my little project ended up with me being grounded for two weeks. Hate to wait for parts to show up. Anyway now she's got rebuilt calipers all around, new pads, almost new rear rotor, new damper rubbers in the rear hub and stock shocks. I replaced the seals in the Progressive shocks too so if I don't like the OEM ones now on the bike I can go back to the Progressives. Sure glad to have her road ready again!

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

EXavid, Where did you get the rubber cush's?. I presume you're referring to the ones in rear wheel. I have never found them in my many parts lists.:( Bob

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

scuse me ATH! I just found your reply on the rear wheel post. Thanks much. Whooooooooo, those dudes are a rip! Will the stealing ever end. I just got brgs for r wheel at Applied for a fraction of local "stealer"

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yeah, they don't give them away. I found a reference to them in another forum that was about three years old. That guy bought them for a total of about forty dollars less than I paid. Probably could have used the old ones, but once you've gone to the trouble of tearing everything apart, I hate to put back so so parts. The old ones have gone nearly 90,000 miles so if the new ones do that it will be worth it. The bike has about 1" of freeplay at the tire tread now, nice and tight.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Oh sorry, should read the entire thread before I pop off. Just went through the same thing on my front calipers.
I've done the same thing, sometimes in a windy post a detail is lost. :goofygrin:Still feel like a fool with the dumb caliper, I could claim it's the first time I worked on that kind, but the pads were perfect mute witnesses if I'd thought about them at all. Oh well, at my increasing age it's learn a little-forget a little!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

LOLOL!!!

Paul, we all have our Kill Switch moments!!

I hear Red Wing has Kill Switch Months!!

Can not wait until I start my screw ups rebuilding that motor!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Brojees wrote:
LOLOL!!!
Paul, we all have our Kill Switch moments!!
I hear Red Wing has Kill Switch Months!!
Can not wait until I start my screw ups rebuilding that motor!
I won't say anything more than I'm working on Kill Switch weeks! Rebuilding that motor without the pressure of having your bike laid up is going to be a fun job, frustrating once in awhile but fun and satisfying. Keep us posted on how many parts you have to replace, it would be interesting to see how these engines hold up internally.

Even with the kill switch intervals I got the bike back together last night and took a good test ride today. I didn't realize how poor the rear brake was until I tried the newly rebuilt ones. They will take awhile to break in but even now they take a lot less pressure on the pedal and are silent. I don't know about the shocks yet, the OEM feel a bit softer than I'd hoped. I'll know better when I can get the woman who hangs around here on the back.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Wel done Paul. Sometimes when you get a problem like that it pays to walk away and have a cup of tea or coffee before going back to the job.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Wel done Paul. Sometimes when you get a problem like that it pays to walk away and have a cup of tea or coffee before going back to the job.
What I need sometimes is someone behind me to give me a kick in the pants to unlock a frozen mind. I think I'll get a parrot and train it to holler 'dummy think about it'. When I was young and first working on cars and bikes I always had a couple of older guys happy to point out where I was screwing up. It's harder now, I AM the older guy and I don't like getting hollered at by young pups!

:cheeky1::15red::cheeky1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.