Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

You know, with all the "little" but expensive things going wrong with my 1984 GL1200A of lateand my limited mechanical skills, I often wonder if I should sell my girl and buy a new 1800. A nano-second later, I regain my senses and press on. She may be 21 years old but she's mint and I like her. A new one would cost about $30,000 Cdn plus 14 per centin taxes, so a few hundred here and thereplus the invaluable assistance from members of thisforum, settles me down again. In addition, the satisfaction of working through what is to me a major problemand getting the job doneslowly but right, offsets the initial anxiety. Ain't that what it's all about?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Keener :waving: Well said man. :clapper:Thats why i will never part with my old steed. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

I too, hear you

I figure for the price of a new one, I could tear mine down and re-do her from the ground and customize her on the way back up, with left overs to pay for a couple of tours. Mean alot more to meto than buying one off the rack, wouldn't it!!!!!

Kyle

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I hear ya. I last had a bike about 12 or so years ago. For the last couple of years I have been wanting another.I had told a buddy that I wanted another but was going to wait till I could afford what I want. He suggested that I get a cheap one to ride while I wait for the big bucks. I said, "oh I dont know...".

About a month later, he called and said that he had seen one in the local nickel paper that sounded like a good deal. Momma suggested that since we arent as young as we were when we rode last, that maybe we should see if we are still comfortable on a cheap bike, rather than dropa load on a new one just to find out that the hips wont take it or whatever...

I went to look at the bike with my buddy and bought it. I have only had it for two weeks, but am totally hooked on riding again. I plan on doing a bit of "refreshing" on this one, and seeing where I go from there. It could be that I may upgrade to a newer one, but I am having a hard time with the $20k for a new one, even though it looks mighty fine...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey guys, keep the faith! I'm off tomorrow on a 2400 mile jaunt with my brother just to show him how much better off his butt would be if he had a Goldwing instead of that snooty BMW. I need to let REDWING get some postings done anyway, I don't want to catch up with him!:waving:

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Hey guys, keep the faith! I'm off tomorrow on a 2400 mile jaunt with my brother just to show him how much better off his butt would be if he had a Goldwing instead of that snooty BMW. I need to let REDWING get some postings done anyway, I don't want to catch up with him!:waving:

Good luck with your ride. Keep the shiny side up!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

ubarw: what did you buy?

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I bought an 80 gl1100. 30k miles, probably born a standard, but does have a trunk from on an interstate. It runs pretty well, although I think the carbs need sync'd and prolly a tune. I paid $1100 for it.

My prior bikes were a '70 sl 175, an old suzuki t stroker, a cx500 custom, and a cb 750k.

Its nice to be back on the bike...

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1: Very nice. I have two 1100's now and will be parting with one soon. They are great bikes. My standard is somewhat lighter than the Aspencade, but each are fun to drive. I too did not ride for about 18 years. I got the bug after working on my cousin's 175 and told my wife I wanted to give it a try again. I bought a Yamaha 550 Seca which after rebuilding the carbs, ran great. Rode it for about 6 months and told my wife I love the ride, but this is way too small for the California Freeways where the average speed is 75 plus.

Purchased the Standard first, an have ridden it for about a year. Added bags and fairing, plus a stereo and cb. Now I stumbled onto this beautiful 83 Aspencade that was owned by a little old lady whose husband has passed away. Now, after spending some dough, it runs great.

Suggestion: Take the beginning or advance rider course. It is well worth it. Already 3 of the things I learned in the class I have used to save my bacon.

Have fun and keep the shinny side up.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

Keener:

Take a ride up to McKenzie; or even Pouce Coupe, and then ask yourself..."would I enjoy this as much on a new bike?".

You probably would, but not $30,000 worth of extra excitement.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Dean: You're absolutely right. We met a couple from Ontario last year when we were in Creston, BC. Their bike was a 1980 if I remember. No need for a new one. Had a really good visit after supper. Looking forward to our summer trip this year to southern Alberta, Montana, Idaho, Washington and back through the BC Okanagan. I'm confident my girl won't let me down.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Hey exavid :waving:Good luck on your trip. :clapper: I will be taking off at the end of the month with the neighbour for a weeks break in the sun. :weightlifter:Dont worry about the postings keep them coming fast and furious. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:

Paul,

You posted before I could get back on line. If you get to my area, please stop in!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.