Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This happened last summer but I think it is a story of warning that needs to be told.

I am able to go out for runs on my Wing in the week as I am retired now & I find the roads in the country are quieter then. There is a very popular place that I go to which is known as a bikers meeting place called Devils Bridge. At the weekend there can be a couple of hundred bikers there but on the day that I went there were only two other bikers. I pulled up on my bike and nodded to them. I had my tape playing on my bike at the time. I got off and went over to the Coffee Caravan to order a coffee. The van is just a few feet away around the corner from where I parked my bike but I could not see it from where I was standing. After 10 minutes I went back to my bike and sat on it to get ready to go. I looked over to the two guys who were laughing about something. I started up and nodded to them and off I went. I only got less than ¼ of a mile and realised that my cassette tape was not playing. When I looked down I noticed that the flap on the deck was open so I shut the flap which you can only do if there is no tape in or if the tape is pushed in. No sound, I pulled over to find that the tape was wedged in on a strange angle. I could not get it to budge no matter what I did, the radio would not play either. I got home feeling quite sick about the whole situation. I know it was the two guys who had messed about with my tape deck but I don’t think that they bust the tape deck deliberately but they did bust it. I could not get that tape in or out. Unfortunately, the problem got even worse as a company that was recommended to me who said they could get the tape out ended up getting the tape out but breaking the radio in the process. :XThey charged me £75 for the privilege and a new radio cost me £1500 from Honda.:X If you must leave your bike take the tape out.

Keith Davidson

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

And to think this was done by other bikers. That is really sad. Nothing is sacred anymore. :shock:

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Absolutely discusting! Take comfort in the fact that the wheel always turns, and they will pay for that sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Could be, but I kinda doubt it. Tape decks are a royal pain in the Kister. My wife has one in her car and it is broke again. I looked at it a couple days ago and the tape is all wedged sideways and had about 10 feet of tape all wound up and hanging out the little trap door.

Tape decks do strange things.

I suppose I will try a couple putty knives and a section of sheet metal and see if I can slide the tape out of the thing, not the first time it has done that.

We have a VCR that likes to eat tapes too, it will work fine for six months then one day it will just wind up about 200 feet of tape all inside the machine.

Could be, but they were most likely laughing at something else. Talking, having a good time, maybe thought you needed a quart of oil or somethin. :cooldevil:

Not making light of it, just that I know all about tape decks, they are no end to a source of aggravation.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

Keith,

What a terrible thing to have happened. Why are people like that and even worse fellow bikers. Jealousy I guess, but that said, you should be able to leave your property wherever you wish and then return to it to find nothing wrong with it.

Others just don't seem to have any concept as to the cost of things and what consequences their actions can have.

Keep your chin and continue to enjoy the bike :action:

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Tell us that you really didn't pay 1500 pounds for a new radio!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

My GL1100 has a cassette deck but I wouldn't trust it with a ten foot pole. They eat your favorite tape first.

Seems like you could convert to CD or MPEG?

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

Hi Keith been to Devils brdige a few times with no bother but as you say what where they laughing at, guess you will never know, the real villain here is the firm that charged you £75 for damaging your radio, if they thought they could not do it they should have left well alone and when they realised it was bust they should never have charged you for it. And of course the big crooks £1500 for a new radio. Thanks for the heads up anyway Keith

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear this. The tape deck was the first thig I broke on my 1500. It ate my favorite tape. I worked on getting MP3 into it then but never really had a great solution before it was totalled for me.

Time to get a new bike with MP3 jack I think - take your music with you.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Black Dog is right..... MP3 is the answer. On my old 1500, I had a cassette adaptor that worked perfectly, and I hard-wired a cigarette lighter socket into which I would plug the Ipod charger. Hook it all up, push "shuffle," turn it up via the radio volume and voila! A looped, constantly charging music system. In 2005, the durn thing ran all the way up to Alaska and back without stopping!

I suppose a vandal could still mess with the cassette deck, but I would just pull the adaptor out and snap it under my fabric cover........ empty deck, no temptation.....

Hardwiring in a socket for the Ipod or MP3 would be the ultimate solution!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.