Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

181 - 200 of 325 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

As i see it pick out the size that suits you to a "T" and then get the next bigger size.Go by the scenario... its raining and i gotta get all my gear on and packed away and i soo need full stand up height to do just that....to my mind that alone eliminates a lot of the real small stuff ...When touring,being prepared to camp is a wonderful plan B ..:toast:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Dustytoes wrote:
...When touring,being prepared to camp is a wonderful plan B ..:toast:

To some of us here, camping is "Plan A"

If you know what you're doing and havethe propergear, it is comfortable, peaceful, scenic, sociable andsooo much cheaper than Credit Card Camping (hotels).:?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

I also consider camping to be Plan 'A', but dont seem to do as much as I like. Maybe because I am camping in December has something to do with it. Here is a shot of the tent I use when going solo, taken in Pancho Villa State Park in New Mexico. Mine is on the left, Larryinseattle has the "cot-tent" on the right. Got real windy and rained hard during the night, stayed dry and warm but the mud the next morning was ugly.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

For solo camping, I like my cot tent. I can sleep over rocks and over gravel. I originally bought this for "quick over night rest" at rest areas or "stealth" type of camping...

When two up, I pull a trailer and use a 6 man tent.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Here is the ad picture of it and if you click on cot tent it will take you to the Cabala's ad.

I must add that it has marginal utility. No place to store gear inside and it is difficult / impossible to use a pee bottle at night. One has to have everything in place before you climb in that sucker, or you struggle.

It has rained and the wind blew on this tent and I stayed dry. I shudder to think what it would be like to set this up in the rain.... and try to spend a full day trying to wait out a storm. If that is the case, I am heading for a motel.

Here is my bike loaded:

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Camping with a cargo trailer is our choice, so we have room to carry more creature comfort items than those of you who carry everything on the Wing. We looked seriously at the Aspen Classic and friends who have one (and love it) almost convinced us to buy one – almost did, but the price tag scared us off (for now).

We bought the Eureka Grand Manan 9 tent on Black Friday weekend and got a pretty good deal. A bit more expensive than many other tents, but I like the features, size and the many favourable reviews. We also have a pair of the Thermarest (Luxury Map XL) sleeping pads which are actually very comfortable and from all reports should be warmer on cool ground if we try to extend the camping season. Having the cargo trailer will allow us space for the screen gazebo for those times we camp out for more than one night at a spot.

No pix of the tent, but I’ll attempt to upload one of the trailer.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

That is a beautiful trailer.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Thanks IdahoRaider. It's made by American Hauler (looks like the ION) and has a very sturdy aluminum frame. Not a huge capacity (I believe around 20cu.ft.but should be quite adequate for our needs. Not the same paint as the Wing, but a nice match from a short distance :)

IdahoRaider wrote:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
+1 on that. Very sharp combination.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Greg and Carol wrote:
Thanks IdahoRaider. It's made by American Hauler (looks like the ION) and has a very sturdy aluminum frame. Not a huge capacity (I believe around 20cu.ft.but should be quite adequate for our needs. Not the same paint as the Wing, but a nice match from a short distance :)

IdahoRaider wrote:
You cannot tell from the photo that it is not a match. Does not matter anyway, you ride the fastest color, so it will just be a blur to most people :D

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
imported post

All this talk about tent camping had me ready to go. So we went to Cabellas to day. Bought a tent 10x10, 2 cots, 2 sleeping bags. a propane stove and a coffee press. Only cost 650.00 as we are loading all this stuff in the care my wife asks, honey how many nights would 650 get us in a motel? I wonder that myself...

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
imported post

All this talk about tent camping had me ready to go. So we went to Cabellas to day. Bought a tent 10x10, 2 cots, 2 sleeping bags. a propane stove and a coffee press. Only cost 650.00 as we are loading all this stuff in the care my wife asks, honey how many nights would 650 get us in a motel? I wonder that myself...

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
imported post

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Hidepounder, you can't keep doing the same mistakes over and over again!

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Maybe he just likes to see himself, over....and over....and over....and over :raspberry:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Randy ..... $650 would beanywhere from 6, to 12 nights stay in a motel, with your meals on top of that.

While the initial outlay for camping gear adds up and may seem expensive, it pays off the more you use it.

I wasMoto-Camping on the roadfor over 3 months/21,000mi recently and it worked out that it cost me an average of $40.86/day - totallyinclusive (gas/lodging/food/meals/2 tires/gifts etc )

Try that for that length of time/distance and see what it would cost you if you stayed in a motel? :readit:

Camping is an excellent way to escape life's daily 'trappings' .... like being couped up inside 4 walls, watching the Boob Tube ...... instead of Nature's equivalent from your campsite

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

For what it's worth, I agree with Dusty and let's not forget that you meet the nicest people camping!

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Halfling wrote:
For what it's worth, I agree with Dusty and let's not forget that you meet the nicest people camping!

I have heard of these two, I think they are a members of an Outlaw Motorcycle group called the Flying Widgets ?

They come into your campground and steal your underwear:D

Over time your money will be well spent, if you continue to MC camp with the items you purchased. Plus the joy you will get out of it, is hard to put a price on.

181 - 200 of 325 Posts