Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

281 - 300 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Better hurry up with that tent, I just saw some lightning flashes and heard the thunder roll in.... and it is just 6:10 in the AM here :)

Putting tents back in their carry bags, I equate to putting my Frogg Toggs back into its' carry sack. almost impossible... but if you don't they will swell up and occupy the entire side saddle bag.
This is my current delima. Trying to decide where to put everything. Ideally I'd like to put the tent in a saddle bag where it will stay nice and dry. But it will take up almost the whole thing. Won't get a whole lot more in there. I'm thinking about putting it on top of the trunk. There's a luggage rack there just begging for it. Then I'll be worried someone will steal my $200 tent,,,lol. And that means buying a $20 weatherproof stuff sack,,,,lol. I don't wanna buy a stuff sack. That will buy me mess kit,,,,lol.

I'm too cheap. Really equals broke. But I know the saying. You wanna play, you gotta pay. :grin3:

So where you you guys think. In a saddlebag or trunk. Or in or on top of the trunk.

Pic 1 is inside the saddlebag. Pic 2 inside trunk. Pic 4 is just the rain fly. Couldn't get the complete set up back in the bad quickly. This is just for demonstration.

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
So I've read about putting the tent poles in a cut in half pvc pipe. Or could you put in in a complete pipe with a cap on it.

Anybody done this and got any pics. :grin3:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Do you ride by yourself? I pack my tent and all the gear that goes with it in a water proof bag and it goes on the seat.
I do at that moment. But hopefully that will change some day. Can you hook a brother up. :ROFL:

Seriously though. I'm sure I will start off by loading the seat. But really would like to clear that area in the future.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
My trip to/from NASSIR 7, this is how I was loaded. The blue bag on the seat was my camping gear, the duffle bag on top of that was my clothing, the sleeping bag on top of the trunk, and the saddlebags were crammed full of shoes, tools, and everything else that would fit.

For those times I carry more, I hook up the trailer.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I've never had anyone bother my gear during the daylight.

I never leave anything on the bike at night when I'm in a hotel.
I don't camp out, quit that 40 years ago.
...the Raccoons still play the part of thieves in the night.
My last experience had them particular to Doritos and they (a pair) weren't too quiet about their own adventure.

·
Administrator
58,476 Posts
Back in '71 or '72, the wife and I were up in Colorado on a weekend outing.

We slept inside our Renault R16 hatchback, but needed to put the food stuff outside because of lack of room.

Yep, a bear pulled the top off the big Coleman Cooler and smeared jam everywhere. I think the bacon disappeared also.... I hit the headlights and the horn and he left.

·
Registered
187 Posts
So what are you guys with out trailers doing for water??
I always carry at least a collapsable cooler with 4 - 32oz bottles. Whenever possible, fill one and freeze it solid, fill two half full of water and freeze and one with cold water. Before leaving, fill the half full ones with water. This provides almost enough water for 400 miles. Refill as needed at fast food restaurants.

I will be adding a 70-100 oz camelback before next trip. I always have a 20 oz. cup with straw in the drink holder as well.

Started wearing an evaporative cooling vest which works great for about 1.5 hours under a mess jacket to keep my core cooler.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I prefer to pull a small 40" x 48" Harbour Frieght that I am lengthening the tongue on and building a box for... I will carry all camping supplies...
I have an Ozark Trails 10' x 10' ez up tent... 2 minutes...
I sleep on an 18" high airbed...
a double sleeping bag...
Clothes and other stuff...

I find towing a small trailer is the way to go...

·
Premium Member
61,488 Posts
When we are going away for vacation I use my trailer.
Than I can take everything I like.
Than we have enough storage space.

Click on the photo to see it bigger.

DSCF6296Kp.jpg

·
Administrator
58,476 Posts

that is a very nice trailer.

and what you said, is exactly why I really like my trailer.
I feel "self sufficient" when I have it stocked for my needs, or potential crises that may develop... I have spare parts for just about anything that might be needed in a general maintenance sort of way. Spare battery, alternator, tools, screws, plastic push fasteners that always seem to break, a plastic box with 18 compartments full of electrical terminals, solder, etc.... and more room for my clothes than I need....

My last tour let me know that you can carry way too much in the way of clothing.... unless you plan on going to a frigid climate from a hot summer climate.... :)

·
Premium Member
61,488 Posts
Yes, I have a 600 liter trailer and a 320 liter topbox.
So thats enough. And I have my trunks on my Wing.
So I can really take a lot with me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have done a fair anount of camping on numerous motorcyles. The tent I use is a Hi Tech Pathfinder 8. It is 8 feet square and has reasonable headroom. It is pretty cheap, light wieght and small and is less than fifty bucks at big 5 sporting goods. It comes with a fly and I have been in some pretty bad storms and never had any trouble. To get a decent nights sleep I use a Termarest self inflating pad under my sleeping bag. (one pebble can ruin a nights sleep and so can sleeping on the cold ground. I also use a self inflating pillow. My sleeping bag is a sleep-cell which I purchased from Costco and is good to around 20 degrees. More important is has zippers in the foot and sides which allow in air when it is warm but has screening to keep out and bugs. The Tent, Bag, and Pad, are placed into a waterproof Duffle bag along with my soft plastic water holder, miniature butane stove with pot, (I like hot coffee in the morning) and whatever food I am carying and tied either on the passenger seat or on top of the trunk if my girlfriend comes along. My whole set up cost less than a hundred fifty dollars and it works

I strongly suggest the duffle bag since a wet sleeping bag is no fun and it also keps everything together.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A wealth of information in this post... I have some things I am missing... a sun shade for my tent... The tent is 10x10x6 ez-up tent from Ozark Trails... What size tarp should I get to create sun/rain cover??? also need a few tent poles(in case no trees) and a couple of small tables,,, one inside and one outside(wally-world)...
Then I need some dunkers from Tim Hortons for my morning coffee...

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
I don't know how we ever used to do it

Attachments

281 - 300 of 325 Posts