Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

301 - 320 of 325 Posts

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
A reminder on 1500s: ck the forward mounting bolts for the center/tail bag
If you can lift the front edge of center bag from its front corner easily- the support arms have broken at their weld to bracket.

No it doesnt happen to everyone but if you havnt ckd this, it takes seconds to know...before loading for a trip.

The supports arms are under their `mounting bar` at a 45 degree angle- giving structure to a larger flat bar where small bolts go thru bag
and bar to secure it to the bike
Any movement of the bag indicates broken support!
A small weld or possibly epoxy fixes things up.

The stated load limit for the top/center bag with contents AND whatever is tied on top of the lid...is 15 pounds! (may vary by model)
Side bags are 20 each iirc and they are held on by 4 small bolts!

Center of Gravity along with Weight & Balance are important. Keep the load low and supported by the suspension and axle,,
not up high on the tail where its not helping things~

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I am all for being as prepared as I can be and am built for comfort and not speed. If you camp for more than two nights and are traveling "away" from your normal area, you should be prepared.

The last two Biking vacations we took (over a 6 day trip) were disastrous as far as weather. My lovely bride really was a champ though. The last one she actually drove her own bike in the rain for a week and was her first time driving in wet weather. She put on close to a total of 1500km in six days in heavy rain every day she was out. Not bad for a newly minted rider!!! I sure am glad this was a hotel vacation.

The second last one, the ones in these pictures we were camping. There was only suppose to be one day of real "rain" and popup showers to follow for the following day and a half. LIARS!!!! All meteorologists are LIARS!!!

While we were camping it rained so hard we had a small "river" run through our camp site and it actually left an imprint of the bike and trailer in the ground. It was awful... an awful 5 days of heavy rain. That's why the next one was going to be the hotel vacation with beautiful sun... see two paragraphs above.

My point is that you need to have the ability to take as close to what you would take if you were in a car. If bad weather sets in, you don't have a dry car to jump into to get away from it. If you liked camping as a kid or a your adult and it's been a long time since you have been camping... your memory, your mind and your body are probably lying to you and in cahoots with the local meteorologist about how fun and comfortable you will be.

Camping in the full sun without shade can be just as bad but at least you can find shade or some place to go to get out of it.

In my books, if you are going to camp and make a habit out of it, then, at least for us, a trailer is the first "must have" item.

Tim

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
I love that picture where she is upset with all the days of rain :)

and wow! that was a real gully washer it seems...
and I agree, if you can't be comfortable, then the fun is gone.

at 73 now, I just don't enjoy the time it takes to set up a tent, nor trying to prepare a meal.

Even here at home, I just don't cook, I have never enjoyed cooking. It is just 'not my thing'.... I will make a peanut butter sandwich before I light up a stove.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I've decided to embark on a new career as a tent camper...About a million years ago I was a boy scout, but most of that training has long since been forgotten.. I need a suggestion on what type of tent to buy...ie....one or 2 person pup tent...that can be strapped on the bike?? I'm looking for something decent...not overly expensive..
I am with you as far as camping goes. Just moved from the Lake Tahoe area and camped there alot. I want to buy a camping trailer to pull behind my wing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
This thread looks like it Died but I will throw something on here and see if we can get it started again.

I'm going to Utah in June for a look around, solo ride, wife can't ride that far.

I like to camp from the bike no trailer and I eat in restaurant's.

I bought a queen size air matters from WalMart 2 years ago and don't like it. It goes flat in the middle of the night is hard to pack up and it takes up 3/4 of my tent.

Yesterday I bought a sleeping pad, it is a ALPS Mountaineering brand. I set it up in the living room last night and the wife got a good laugh. This thing is pretty comfortable so I think I'm good to go except the getting up off the ground part.

LOL I'm going to look for a very small stove to heat some water for instant coffee in the morning.

I got more room in the saddle bags now with out the air matters and pump.

Power Guy last year I got to Tahoe late afternoon stopped at the camp ground in South Lake Tahoe, the lady wanted $70.00 to pitch my tent there?

I had ridden in from Hwy 395 and just kept going.

We used to rent rooms at Ceaser's for just a little more than that. 70 years old and camping again, hope this is a mid life crisis. This bike is a good way to see some beautiful country.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
If Air Conditioning is not available, I won't camp in a tent or RV...

My daughter bought us a 2004 Weekend Warrior Toy Hauler last July, and it has a 4 KVA Onan generator and a 1 ton a/c unit on the roof. does pretty good, it kept the interior at 73°F with the outside air at 101°F during the noon hours.

at nite, it pulled the interior down to 69°F which felt "just right" to me as that is what we have our home a/c set at.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
I believe the thread is called Tent Camping so I cannot offer advice. I used to do it long long ago, then we moved to pop up and latest was a 24 ft trailer. It was like 15 years ago when we last used it. It used to be fairly expensive back then for a decent campsite. For double + a bit more you could find a decent hotel with refrigerator, private shower AC and TV. But I understand those that prefer a fire a night and the fresh forest air. Riding long distances is not always easy on a motorcycle so waking up fresh and relaxed is a must. Thats the way we roll.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
yeah, my comment is off topic, but it has been several decades since we did tent camping, and we never had a tent.

just a trot line and two trees and a tarp.... dad said that "is good enough, we are dry"

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't really camp, like I did when we used to take everything to cook and stay for a week in one place. I am really just tent sleeping. I ride the bike all day and see the country and about 4 in the afternoon I find some place to stay for the night. Set up my little tent and go find a restaurant to have dinner. Then go back and sleep at the camp. Some times visit with some neighbors. Some times the camp ground will have a pool for a swim. After writing this I guess I understand why the wife doesn't want to go . LOL If she goes we stay in Motel's and air conditioning. After a couple day of tent sleeping I get a room for a night. I really like my tent better than the room. I wake up in the mountains or the ocean views and clean air. I like it, it's always an adventure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I don't really camp, like I did when we used to take everything to cook and stay for a week in one place. I am really just tent sleeping. I ride the bike all day and see the country and about 4 in the afternoon I find some place to stay for the night. Set up my little tent and go find a restaurant to have dinner. Then go back and sleep at the camp. Some times visit with some neighbors. Some times the camp ground will have a pool for a swim. After writing this I guess I understand why the wife doesn't want to go . LOL If she goes we stay in Motel's and air conditioning. After a couple day of tent sleeping I get a room for a night. I really like my tent better than the room. I wake up in the mountains or the ocean views and clean air. I like it, it's always an adventure.
Man I wish my wife could get into this kind of camping. I really miss it. Her idea of camping is the Ritz Carlton.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I love to tent camp on the bike and I've done it 3 times in the last 5 years and the last thing that I bought to help me sleep was a good fold-up cot as I too I'm getting too old to get off the cold ground. Or just getting up off the ground LOL. I did this without a trailer and the farthest I've driven was about 120 miles from home. I had a trailer given to me 2 years ago and I am getting it ready so I can haul a cooler (diet necessities) in the trailer along with my camping gear and clothes.

My wife likes to camp in a hotel and can't go for long rides on the bike and usually when she goes with me we take the Yukon. I am also thinking about buying a trailer to pull the Goldwing behind the Yukon so that we can enjoy the bike more when we're on trips.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Last picture with the Toyota in it was in Lone Pine. The people in the Toyota were camping out of the car. Next to them were a couple on a KTM motorcycle, they had been on the road for 2 weeks. The guy had everything you could think of packed on the bike. Looked like Dusty Boots with stuff sacks every where. They headed out for Home in San Deigo that night. It's a good inexpensive way to travel and you can see everything along the way. That camp ground was right at the foot of Mount Whittney so it was a pretty good view to the west. I have had RV's and I watch those guys spend an hour or more setting up and another hour packing up in the morning. Then you have to drive that box down the road and try to park some where when you get there. It's not my idea of an adventure. Peter, I'm going to try to go about the 10th of june and spend 5 days there. The wife has some medical problems that I'm waiting for her to get a little better and I have some work for the next 3 or 4 weeks and then I can go. I don't really plan my trips, I take my phone for gps and some maps and I start riding. I get an idea ahead of time the route and I have been looking at the parks I want to see, and off I go. That's the adventure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I love tent camping from the bike while seeing the country. This is especially true if I can do it at a time of year and location when I can avoid mosquitoes without freezing to death.

I found a cot last year that I absolutely love. Easy to put together and take down. And it only weights 3lbs or so, takes very little room on the bike when packing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultralight-Portable-Folding-Single-Camp-Bed-Travel-Cot-Tent-Bed-Aluminium-Alloy/202311159268?hash=item2f1aaf4de4:g:vx4AAOSw4WRa9mcd

As far as cooking goes I usually just find a restaurant instead of hauling all the cooking equipment. Staying in a tent in bear country also seems like a reason to avoid cooking at my campsite.

I will avoid Indiana state parks on the weekend from now on though. Wasn't much sleeping going on in that one.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I used to love tent camping,but these aging bones can't take it ,anymore.

·
Registered
408 Posts
This last trip I spent 5 nights on the roads of Utah. 2 nights camping and 3 nights Motel. The new sleeping pad made nights a lot better but setting up every night after riding all day is a pain. Sometimes I'm just Lazy. LOL A nice camp ground in Torrey. Tent camping in an Orchard under the tree's, the wind came up that night and whipped the little tent around.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
I haven't got to camp anymore this summer. It's now end of Oct. I might take a trip down to Arizona in Nov. I'm kinda missing a good long ride into some new country. I haven't told the wife yet, She can't travel on the bike anymore. So we will see. Maybe some of you guy's could post a few picture's from the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a selection of tents. 3 man for single camping (room for all my other goodies, 4 man for two up trips, and a reasonable sized tarpaulin with two poles and pegs to use as a shelter in the middle of summer where a full on tent is extraneous. Makes a good bike shelter too.
Always take a mattress of some sort. Wings are well set up for storage and additional tent,tarp etc can fit nicely between rider back rest an passenger back rest with the help of a small cargo net.

301 - 320 of 325 Posts