Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 325 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,765 Posts
imported post

My advice....don't motel it. :cheeky1:
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

Tent choice is aserious issue, and deserves thought and consideration. Complexity of use is another problem sometimes. Red and I, being educators with no money and not much sense, often took trips that lasted six to eight weeks......(I've noticedthe tripsare getting somewhat shorter as the years progress!). Putting up and taking down a tent for six weeks gets to be a pain in the keister......... We got so we could pitch our A-frame Eureka in our sleep, but it still could be a pain in the keister (what is a keister, anyway.....?)

I remember a nice lady, Doctor's wife, who was camping in a big KOA near Billings, Montana. She had five or six kids and was handling them alone on a multi-week trip while her husband wrote a book. She had a monster of a tent with separate rooms, and had managed to get the damned thing up, but hadn't secured some of the guy ropes..... The wind was blowing right smartly, and this beautiful little girl with eyes the size of coffee cup saucers came over and said to Red:

"Our tent fell over and is upside down, and all our stuff is, too! Whatever are we going to do?" Red, charmed to the bone, and I went over, and with three other guys -- all bikers -- managed to get the thing upright and stapled down! Poor woman!

If you can, pitch the tent in the store for practice.... look for optimal simplicity along with size and weight! And for sure, set the tent up once at home before you head for BeartoothPass!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Tent choice is aserious issue, and deserves thought and consideration. Complexity of use is another problem sometimes. Red and I, being educators with no money and not much sense, often took trips that lasted six to eight weeks......(I've noticedthe tripsare getting somewhat shorter as the years progress!). Putting up and taking down a tent for six weeks gets to be a pain in the keister......... We got so we could pitch our A-frame Eureka in our sleep, but it still could be a pain in the keister (what is a keister, anyway.....?)

I remember a nice lady, Doctor's wife, who was camping in a big KOA near Billings, Montana. She had five or six kids and was handling them alone on a multi-week trip while her husband wrote a book. She had a monster of a tent with separate rooms, and had managed to get the damned thing up, but hadn't secured some of the guy ropes..... The wind was blowing right smartly, and this beautiful little girl with eyes the size of coffee cup saucers came over and said to Red:

"Our tent fell over and is upside down, and all our stuff is, too! Whatever are we going to do?" Red, charmed to the bone, and I went over, and with three other guys -- all bikers -- managed to get the thing upright and stapled down! Poor woman!

If you can, pitch the tent in the store for practice.... look for optimal simplicity along with size and weight! And for sure, set the tent up once at home before you head for BeartoothPass!
And what ever you do, don't leave the rain fly cover for your new tent at home like I did when we went to Calhoun!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

The silver space ship on the right is mine.


 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

If you plan on sleeping 2 in it, get at least a 3 person tent.

Head the advice CJ gave about being 'tent bound' during inclement weather!!!

I use a 4 man dometent and it packs well, with the use of a compression stuff sack. Tent bodies that attach with clips erect easier/quicker than ones with 'sleeves'.



2 doors/vestibules allows for undisturbed exit/entrance when the midnight 'call' strikes. Vestibules provide additional covered storage space

If I plan on traveling fast n light, I use my 42oz, 2 man Tarptent





I find a dome tent gives the best 'overall' usablespace. Look for one with as vertical a wall as you can, as opposed toslanting/sloping walls.



I always carry a lightweight tarp to greatly expand my 'living space' and to provide extra shelter for cooking, for a minimum weight/space penalty.





If looking for a sleeping pad/mattress, the 8" 'air beds' are nice and comfy but will be cold to sleep on and requires a pump of some sort to inflate. Some like the Thermarest self inflating pads(I did too) but if you are a side sleeper, they will give you sore shoulders/hips. Look at getting an insulated air mattress/pad, such as a POE Ether insulated mat(2 1/2" thick -1st choice- more durable), or a BAIAC pad( 2 1/2" thick, 2nd choice - some history of leaky valves). Both of these pads require you to inflate them by mouth, but I find it typically takes 12 - 14 good breathes to fully inflate. (2 minutes)




Dusty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
One of the most important points in buying a tent, for me, is getting one tall enough to stand up in. Hatehaving topullon my jeans all hunched over.
:coollep:Is it harder to pull your jeans on when your hunched over or take them off when your hunched over :baffled::baffled::baffled::action:

Personally I just sit on my sleeping bag/slide my pants over my feet/pull them up as far as they will go/lay on my back and pull them up the rest of the way. :cooler::cooler::cooler:

Just my .02
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
55,584 Posts
imported post

ChesterWgunn
After you get some clothes, my next suggestion is to buy the cheapest stuff you can find.. At your age, after 1 night on the ground, you'll dumping all that camping stuff in the first trash can you see and heading for a Motel............
Been there, done that...............
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
ChesterWgunn
After you get some clothes, my next suggestion is to buy the cheapest stuff you can find.. At your age, after 1 night on the ground, you'll dumping all that camping stuff in the first trash can you see and heading for a Motel............
Been there, done that...............
Ah fudgesticks! I'm 67 and still camping! The new gear is amazingly comfortable and I'm just as comfortable in my Eureka tent as in a motel... like Dusty Boots says, the air mattresses get cool, but since we travel mostly in the summer months, it doesn't seem to be an issue with us.Like Dusty, we'll go with Thermarests when we know we're gonna be cold.....

I think I've said this before in a similar thread: I think motels are overpriced, noisy, sometimes dangerous, and always filthy..... the next time you try to sleep in a motel bed, think of all the people that have been in that bed before you, and of all the things done there! Also, they don't have rocket scientists cleaning those rooms......

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

No motels for me if possible..... I've camped all over this great land, andcamping is one of the major determinates of a quality life for Red and me..... we love it....... get out there, Chester, you'll not regret it!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
imported post

If I were pulling a trailer, I would take the neat pop-up canopy rig I got last year. It is based on the pop-up/E-Z ups we are all familiar with. It has little hook ring built into the corners.

To these hook rings you attach the tent rig. NOT a simple set of side walls, the tent rig has walls and a floor, screened windows with zippered covers, and a large screened and covered entry. It also has a fully screened roof area.

There are 2 sizes available, 10X10 and 12X12. The tent accessory hangs inside it, 6in inside of the canopy roof line.

Not only is there room to stand up and pull you jeans on, you can also do jumping jacks! Spacious!

I only wish they made one with an aluminum frame. I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods, their in-house brand, Quest. I couldnt find it at their website, but they are in the stores last time I checked.

I will be using it for 4 days at my enduro race next week, will get some pix.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

I hate camping. :p:p Four years and ten months of that cured me. Then in 1972 they gave us all Kevlar helmets, what was up with that, no more warming up those wonderful powdered eggs, stupid helmet would burn :shock: Kit.

Camping tips? I suppose do not camp in a creek bed.............and do not put tent on top of a cobra.

Kit
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
75 Posts
imported post

I've been very satisfied with the Sierra Designs Tengu 2 tent. I got an 07 model for about $160. It has an attached rain shell that can be raised for those too warm nights. The bottom tub is sealed and I've yet to get wet. It uses 2 poles for an external frame and I'd recommend getting either a footprint or make one as this will protect the bottom of the tent [better to trash a $10-25 footprint than a $160 tent].

Not all tents are true 2-man ones. The Tengu could be best described as a 1.5. Two in the tent would be very tight so I'd suggest a 3-man for 2 folks. By the time you put a pad/air mattress, bag, some personal items, and some goodies, the tent is quite full. Some folks go for the 4-man after deciding that the difference in pack size isn't that much.

The Tengu is 7"x21" and while too big for the panners is light enough for the top box rack. I found that I'd rather use the panners for carrying things that I don't want to get wet [sleeping bag, clothing, computer...]. I didn't care if the tent got wet as I knew that the inside would be dry and the tent would eventually dry out.

I'd look at how the tent is supported, how easy it is to raise, if it comes with tent pegs, if you can sit up in it [great for reading at night while in the sleeping bag], inner dimensions [make sure that there is enough length so you can stretch out without your head or feet hitting the sides of the tent], and if it suits your needs. I'd also recommend a mallet or hatchet to pound the tent pegs into the near-concrete dense ground. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
75 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Hey guys! I haven't heard any of you mention the "Internet Connection" in these tents.

Gotta have feature around here :D
:baffled:

For me, one of the nicest features of tenting is the lack of internet. Or cell phone. Or TV.
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Hey guys! I haven't heard any of you mention the "Internet Connection" in these tents.

Gotta have feature around here :D

Actually, many of the larger, "chain"-campgrounds are offering internet connections in their office or "day-room." Modern campgrounds are not uncomfortable: clean restrooms, hot showers, laundry..... we've never felt deprived at least..... To get "primitive" camping these days, you almost have to look for it! And, besides,taking a "cooking pot" bath is just part of the fun!

Good lord, folks..... we're the descendants of a people that crossed oceans and walked across continents, fighting the wilderness and native Americans all the way, building farms and roads and cities... and we can't spend a night outside walls! Can't be away from our electronic interconnections! Good gawd amighty! We is become a nation of wimps!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:


(our last camping picture before our deer encounter, featuring all I need to make me happy: Red, my (sob) lately departed Gl1500 (now replaced), and my Eureka 4-Person Timberline Tent....... that's all I need, all I need.......)
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,765 Posts
imported post

As for me I would love to camp and I get a little envious of those who do.But there is two people in this relationship and the other can't camp and I have to respect that for her.So we have to motel it. Fun can be had both ways. :cool:
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

You betcha, '82.... and my tongue was in my cheek during that last post. Wasn't really making fun of motel types, should have made that clear.... "Credit card" touring, with nothing more than a handful of credit cards and a tank bag and a toothbrush often appeals to us, quite frankly....but Red and I have never been able to afford it. We traded money and prestige for "rough" freedom, teachers's summers off, and have never regretted it.... the tent, sleeping bags, and other camping stuff have allowed us to go places and see things we couldn't have without them....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
You betcha, '82.... and my tongue was in my cheek during that last post.   Wasn't really making fun of motel types, should have made that clear....  "Credit card" touring, with nothing more than a handful of credit cards and a tank bag and a toothbrush often appeals to us, quite frankly....but Red and I have never been able to afford it.  We traded money and prestige for "rough" freedom, teachers's summers off, and have never regretted it....  the tent, sleeping bags, and other camping stuff have allowed us to go places and see things we couldn't have without them....
I hear you Cousin Jack... I've spent the last 30 years "kissing somebody's ass"...My father-in-law on the other hand, was a music teacher/band director for over 40 years.....He loved his profession and inspired many a young person to do great things....and he even made the hall of fame...Although he didn't make a tremendous amount of money, they lived well...and he loved his occupation..I admire those that don't do like myself and chase the almighty dollar...
 

·
Lost on this *****
Joined
·
4,317 Posts
imported post

Oh boy,,, here we go,,,,,,,,,,,, It was right about this time last year I started asking about camping equipment. I spent endless hours surffing web pages on tents, sleeping pads, stoves, and so much more. And it was blast.

I ended up with the advice I had gotten here. The Eureka Timberline 4 (tent) is good money spent. I was at the KOA at Mount Rushmore SD. and got hit by 2 hail storms. The second storm produced stones the size of a milk jug cap. I thought my tent was a goner for sure. Those stones just kept bouncing off for a good full 10-15 minutes.

Yepper,,,,, was real glad I spent $160. It cost that much for 2 nights in a semi-cheap motel.

BTW,,,,,,,,,,, I was very impressed with that KOA. The bath house was always clean.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
imported post

Winger77:
Thanks for the indirect info on the KOA at Rushmore. We were there at tail end of July. I missed getting reservations there
due to a glitch in leaving Denver at a certain time. I badly wanted to stay there. Palmer Gulch KOA is the name I remember.
We winded up staying in Rapid City, the week before Sturgis.
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

You guys tried the KOA at Devil's Tower, Wyoming....? It's Red and me's favorite!

Here's me brother, Cousin Jack Lite, his lovely wife Susan, and the rock from the KOA at Devil's Tower...........
 

Attachments

·
Lost on this *****
Joined
·
4,317 Posts
21 - 40 of 325 Posts
Top