Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 325 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

:DSomebody has been snooping around.

Actually, she treated me so well,,,,,,, I thought I'd let her lay in the shade of the tree.

Ok ok,,,,,,,,,,,it was her decision to teach me a lesson. Don't put her on the center stand in a grassy area while loaded.

That was at the KOA a Devils Tower. Now I had already tried the side stand and it began to sinkimmediately. So I got the bright idea to put her on the center stand. Worked just long enough to take the helmet off. Thenit started to go over away from me and all I could do is let her down gently. There was a nicegentleman that was onsome kind of sport touring bike also camping and he helped me get her up.

Thanks for "BILL BOARDING"that here John,,,,,,,, :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Don't worry Winger, it's happened to all of us! ;)

Sometimes those Wings work so hard, they just have to lay down for a rest! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

That's why I now carry an electrical junction box blank cover plate with me, in my tank bag. Lots of places that won't support a bike's weight on it's side stand.

I've also gotten into the habit of leaving the bike in gear, if parked on anything otherthan completely level ground.

Dusty

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Yeah I know Dusty,,,,,,,, I keep telling myself I gotta get a plate like that to carry with me but it seems to always slip my mind.

Funny thing is,,,,,,,,, at the KOA in Rushmore, I found a nice flat rock that I keep in my jacket pocket for 2 days.

Now how sad is that:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Administrator
57,354 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Oh, my pleasure Winger77, just couldn't help admiring all of your historical photos. Saw that one and went on to the end of the page.

Then, the thought popped up. "Hmmmmm, too good to pass...." :cooldevil:

It's been posted here before, but I have a picture of a certain bike that took a nap down on the lawn at Calhoun. :D wonder if I could find that and the owner? :cooldj:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Yeah I know Dusty,,,,,,,, I keep telling myself I gotta get a plate like that to carry with me but it seems to always slip my mind.

Funny thing is,,,,,,,,, at the KOA in Rushmore, I found a nice flat rock that I keep in my jacket pocket for 2 days.

Now how sad is that:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
I dunno..... I think your Wing looks kind of graceful like that...... kind of folded up on the grass........what did someone say?..... like it's "taking a nap"......never dropped my GL1500.... no, never, uh-huh!

:cheeky1:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Winger77 wrote:
Oh, my pleasure Winger77, just couldn't help admiring all of your historical photos. Saw that one and went on to the end of the page.

Then, the thought popped up. "Hmmmmm, too good to pass...." :cooldevil:

It's been posted here before, but I have a picture of a certain bike that took a nap down on the lawn at Calhoun. :D wonder if I could find that and the owner? :cooldj:
Glad you enjoyed and had almost as much fun as I did. I know there are some folks that would freak out if their bike layed down like that.

Me,,,,,,,,,, A good laugh is always easyer to share then a whole lot of whinning. I couldn't pass up the chance to get a pic of my own dumb-&ss move. I wanted to be able to look back at everything on my trip.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Does anybody have a picture of there bike loaded so I can get an idea of what to put where???
I feel like such a rookie asking that question, but with all the gear the Mrs. want's to pack, I'm gonna need 2 trailers, but I dont have one................

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

All my needed camping gear in the pack behind me. All myriding gear(Jackets+liners, riding pants+liner)in the trunk bag, as it was later in the year(end of Sept - end of Oct.)and I was all over the country(22 states, 1 province) and extremes for weather, for a month

I had a new front tire waiting for me at my US shipping address when I got near home, so this is what she looked like when I did finally get home.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Big Dog,,,,,,,,,,, this is a question I think we all ask when planning our first trip,,,,,,, I know I did. Gotta think compact. And think of what is really needed,,,,,, no more.

Lay it all out, and decide what stays and what goes with you.

This is something I used, and it helped out very well.

Checklists

You'll get lots of others giving great advice.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Ok Dusty,,,,,,,,,,, what tank bag you use? And does it effect your steering?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I got it from Firecreek Accessories

Reg $175 - on sale for $135 and no problems with steering. Only tank bag that's made for the 1500. The stainless steel mounting plate, snaps in where the weather cover for the radio snaps in. Tilts forward when you need to add gas and still allows access to your radio controls. :cool:Good 'investment' and it stays on the bike 97% of the time. The bike looks naked to mewithout it on there. :cooldevil:

Have a look, here.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
Hey Winger77, does your bike always take a nap like this? :cheeky1:

Uh oh..........
Now that is a true for sure spill proof coffee mug holder. That thing is still perfectly on axis. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: Kit

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Thanks Dusty,,,,,,,, I've seen that one berfore, and it does impress me. I know a couple other fellas on here has/had them and was will to let them go but I really didn't want to spend the $ back then. And I'm still not sure. In your pic it doesn't look as big/bulky as I thought they were.

Now I have to think again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and that hurts:cheeky1:

Hi ya Kit,,,,,,,,,,,,, I like the way you see the good side of things;)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Thanks Dusty,,,,,,,, I've seen that one berfore, and it does impress me. I know a couple other fellas on here has/had them and was will to let them go but I really didn't want to spend the $ back then. And I'm still not sure. In your pic it doesn't look as big/bulky as I thought they were.

Now I have to think again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and that hurts:cheeky1:

Hi ya Kit,,,,,,,,,,,,, I like the way you see the good side of things;)
I had the Firecreek, still have it as a matter of fact.... took the mounting plate off by removing the hinge pin, gonna put some straps on it and use it on my ST1300. The bag is fairly roomy.... and well made. My biggest concern on the 1500 was that the front mounting system needed careful attention, without such attention the bag could dismount and fly into your lap at 70mph; and then every time I turned sharp left the horn would honk! Drove me stark raving............ finally got so I'd flip it up before turning!

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
I've decided to embark on a new career as a tent camper...About a million years ago I was a boy scout, but most of that training has long since been forgotten.. I need a suggestion on what type of tent to buy...ie....one or 2 person pup tent...that can be strapped on the bike?? I'm looking for something decent...not overly expensive..
Got a little off the "TENT" question?...

Always a biggest tent possible = elbow room. We have a 8 person dome-tent for us 2& it's still a little tight. If you add a small table it'll double your floor space,it does take space but that space is where you could sleep. Just a matter of thinking outside the box a little.

Where to load that table? ? ? _ _ _ _ _ Having a trailer hitch on the bike can be used for more than a trailer, it's a great spot for acarrier, luggage, cooler, etc. Only drawback is the weight one can safely carry. Personally I've had my Wings tongue weight up around 90# (for a short time).Nominal weight on the bikes hitch, for long distance, might be about50#. That almost doubles the whole bikes luggage capacity, not bad! Could carry more if the roads weren't so horrendous, like Illinois.

Here is a foldable model, this one is designed forcars but a smaller one to fit the bike. (SEEIT)

Don't forget to tote a tarp or two, not just for rain but shade might be scarce out west, not to mention it'll break wind. (snicker)

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

This ladies and gentleman is why we are supposed pack our saddlebags equally.:cheeky1:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Oh boy,:doh:looks like everyone is jumping on the band wagon,,,,,, go ahead,,,, have your fun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Cuz I had a "BLAST":banana: And you guys are just making it even better.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Like CJ says, pay attention when mounting it and listen for the 'click' when you snap in the rear mounting tab, then give it a little tug to make sure it's seated.

Re the horn button hitting the bag ... ya, it does happen on occasion, but notto thedegree of being bothersome/regular. CJ ... you're just gonna have to plan a little better, a little sooner! :cooldevil:

The only time I remove mine is when I'm staying in hotels/motels, so, not that often. ;)

It'll hold my camera, smokes, lighter, sunscreen, snacks, cell phone, MP3 player, I-Touch, rag, spare road maps, the above mentioned blank junction box cover and more.

At 1st I wished it was a little bigger, but after living with it this past year,I think it's just about the right size. I also ordered the additional 'map case' which snaps on and off in a jiffy. I do wish they made a rain cover for it. I thought maybe a ladies XL shower cap might fit, but that didn't even come close. A buddy of mine ended up getting a new tank bag for his Beemer and he gave me the cover off of his old one. Kinda looks like hell ..... but it works! :baffled:

Being made of Black Cordura and sitting out in the sun all the time while riding, I gave mine a few treatments of 303 Sun Protectant, sort of like a high tec sunscreen for material. Nylon breaks down rather quickly due to the harsh UV rays. Still looking good after 40,000k this past summer.

Would I buy one again? ... Yup! :grinner:

Dusty

41 - 60 of 325 Posts