Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

81 - 100 of 325 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Ok Dusty Boots, You have me very curious about your (KITCHEN)???????????????? What ya got in that?? I didnt see a coffee pot, I gotta have a COFFEE POT

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

The Big Dog wrote:
Ok Dusty Boots, You have me very curious about your (KITCHEN)???????????????? What ya got in that?? I didnt see a coffee pot, I gotta have a COFFEE POT
Oh yes you did,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you saw it, and I have the same one. As long as you don't mind useing Folgers Singles. I would have one or two cups while getting ready/packed up and then stop in somewhere for a good brewed cup.

But maybe Dusty has another way for coffee that he would enlighten us with.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I've been hauling a pyrex french press along for coffee, but the Bodum Travel Press looks like a great idea. It's both a French press and an insulated mug (polycarbonate). $10 at Target. Got to have a good cup of coffee in the morning.

Q

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Q wrote:
I've been hauling a pyrex french press along for coffee, but the Bodum Travel Press looks like a great idea. It's both a French press and an insulated mug (polycarbonate). $10 at Target. Got to have a good cup of coffee in the morning.

Q
Ok,,,,, this is a good subject for me,,,,,,,,,, I don't know anything about a "coffee Press",,,,,,,,,, heard of them,,,,,,, but never learned anything.

So what is it that they do? How does it work? Step by step please:)

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

ABSOLUTLY, We are sure were camping, not as sure were cooking, may just let the restraunt handle that, But I HAVE to have some coffee while I wait for miss Jami to get to the bottom of that make-up kit of her's, A good artist needs a paitent hubby, hope she dont read this

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

I agree Dave, I use a grinder at home, but with the limited space on the 82, maybe a simpler way would be better. But I bet Ken has a 30 cup'r somewhere in a compression sac that would fix all our problems...... That is only partly a joke, wouldnt suprise me at all if he did, Ken could probably fit his living room in saddlebag

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

:D Sorry to disappoint you fellas, but I'm half Scottish and am therefore partial toa nice cuppaTea in the mornings/evenings. :cooldevil: Most that do drink coffee, do as Winger does and use the Folgers bags.

Here's a thought! :doh: Most wing owners have a 12v outlet/cigarette lighter on their bike. Why not bring along a small coffee grinderto grind your beans, while the water is 'on the boil'. Simply plug it into a small power inverter. Then use a Mellita Filter to hold your grounds in.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

No need to carry a grinder to use a coffee press, just grind it before you leave home. On the road you can just buy ground coffee of your favorite brand, even stop in and get a small bag from Starbucks.

IMO The coffee press is really the easiest way to make coffee. Just put a couple spoon fulls of ground coffee in the press, pour in boiling water, wait a few minutes, push down the press and it's ready to drink. No filters or waste to deal with. Rinse it out when your done and it's ready for the next cup.

Q

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Q,,,,,,,,,, now you make it sound better,,,,,,,, somthing to ponder on. Only draw back is having another item (press)to carry. But then....... how big can a 1 or 2 cup press be:baffled:

And then I wouldn't have to stop again in the morning hours,,,,, just keep :action:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Get up, stuff up, ride a 100 miles..... then pull in at a Micky Dees for coffee! Talk to the local legends! At about 9:30-10:00am, all the local small town characters are in Micky Dees for coffee and conversation. Red and I have met some fabulous people that way! (I do admit to carrying a pot and coffee singles when I am in a place too uninhabited for even the Golden Arches......)

McDonald's is not all bad; you can get breakfast there probably cheaper than you can cook it!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Get up, stuff up, ride a 100 miles..... then pull in at a Micky Dees for coffee! Talk to the local legends! At about 9:30-10:00am, all the local small town characters are in Micky Dees for coffee and conversation. Red and I have met some fabulous people that way! (I do admit to carrying a pot and coffee singles when I am in a place too uninhabited for even the Golden Arches......)

McDonald's is not all bad; you can get breakfast there probably cheaper than you can cook it!
Around here it's the local Hardee's they like to hang out in. Learn a lot of the local history and politics of a town that way!

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Ok, I'll concede the coffee pot, (But under protest)!!!!! It will be coffee singles while the paint goes on miss Jami, then off to Micky D's for the rest, gotta eat anyway.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I'm somewhat like CJ. I'll brew up a cuppa and then head out for a good hour or two(usually a hundred miles), but instead of a fast food establishment, I prefer a small Mom & Pop type of restaurant. Even intowns too small for a chain type fastfood eatery, there's bound to be a small corner deli/cafe, where you can get a bite to eat and experience all the 'local concerns' being discussed by the local 'Board of Directors'. Love those spots/times! :grinner: Usually get involved with the locals in some type of a conversation and like CJ points out, they are a wealth of info, both 'local highlights' .... and beyond. One ofmy real joys,of being on theroad. :coollep:

I won't stop toeat again until dinner, either making my own, if in the sticks, or at a local, nearby town.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

I guess the only thing left to do is make my reservations at the campground, well ok, there is a laundry list of other things to do, but I want to make sure we have a nice place, cedar creek looks prety nice to me, Thanks, Dawson

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

:(Where did everybody go? It's awful quiet in here, HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I know what ya mean. When a thread that you are interested in suddenly gets quiet you tend to get a little panic stricken.

But I'm sure as time gets closer to the riding season folks will be flooding in here again.

Hmm,,,,,,, maybe I'll get the tent out this weekend and give it some air.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Been thinking the same thing, I need to get all my gear together and see how it's all gonna fit, I told miss Jami she might have to hold some things on the way, but she has OTHER ideas........... Only 33 weeks to get ready, sounds like a long time, but it will probably take me that long, he he

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Big Dog,,,,,,, I might be repeating myself, but I also worried about fitting all the gear on the bike. I did do a little/lot spending on compact gear but it was worth it to me. Now I have it and it's ready to go when I am.

I probly practiced packing the bike a dozen times. It will be different for you since you are going 2 up. But I found out that I didn't need half the clothes I took. Motels and campgrounds have laundry-mats. And then some things can be picked up along the way.

I know this has been posted before, but just incase you missed it here it is again.

Checklists

Myself and others live by this list. Take the time to learn how to use it and print it out. Keep it with your gear and use it as you collect and pack each item. I have a plastic tote container that I keep all my gear in so it doesn't end up scattered in diferrent closets and such.

Thats all I have for now,,,,,,,, but this thread will definitly grow ;)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Big Dog,,,,,,, I might be repeating myself, but I also worried about fitting all the gear on the bike. I did do a little/lot spending on compact gear but it was worth it to me. Now I have it and it's ready to go when I am.

I probly practiced packing the bike a dozen times. It will be different for you since you are going 2 up. But I found out that I didn't need half the clothes I took. Motels and campgrounds have laundry-mats. And then some things can be picked up along the way.

I know this has been posted before, but just incase you missed it here it is again.

Checklists

Myself and others live by this list. Take the time to learn how to use it and print it out. Keep it with your gear and use it as you collect and pack each item. I have a plastic tote container that I keep all my gear in so it doesn't end up scattered in diferrent closets and such.

Thats all I have for now,,,,,,,, but this thread will definitly grow ;)

Yes, I agree with Winger about keeping some form of a 'packinglist', that you check off what you need to take with you and keeping your camping gear organized to make retrieval/packing a lot quicker and less frustrating when it comes time to find all those 'little things that you know you have, but just can't find them as they're spread all over the house. :doh::whip::headbanger: :gunhead:

I have a lot of 'outdoor gear, due to my love of camping/baclpacking etc, so I have to be organized. I made some wooden shelves and 'appropriated' some plastic bins from work, to store my smaller bits ofgear in. :grinner:

I also use a digital scale and a specialized spreadsheet program that lists andkeeps track of every item's weight, so when I choose that item to take on a trip, it keeps a running total of not only the gear I've selected, but also the combined weight of the gear selected.

I dedicated a spare bedroom to be my "Gear Room"

Dusty

81 - 100 of 325 Posts