Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

101 - 120 of 325 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Awsome, I printed off the checklist this time, I quickly pointed out to miss Jami that Coffee is on the checklist, but a blowdryer,heels,make-up kit, formal wear, and some other things were not,:D she quickly pointed out the spot on EACH page that containes a spot to (fill in your own items):(

Thanks again to Winger and Dusty for all the great info. No matter what happens, This is gonna be fun, I got the in-law's commin to watch the kids for a week:cooldevil:They think it will be fun for them to:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I plan on trying to be ready when dusty rides through, not sure who else in commin through here, but maybe we can all hook up

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

:shock:Holy Moly Dusty,,,,,,,,,, thats really impressive. But with all that gear, how does one decide witch stove,tent, bag, etc, etc, etc, to take with them.

I'm just teasing ofcourse.

Each item designed for the activity. I have to keep it simple for myself.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

Your right Dave, Dusty's got to be the (king of camping), pretty impressive indeed:weightlifter:

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

CJ wrote "Good lord, folks..... we're the descendants of a people that crossed oceans and walked across continents, fighting the wilderness and native Americans all the way, building farms and roads and cities... and we can't spend a night outside walls! Can't be away from our electronic interconnections! Good gawd amighty! We is become a nation of wimps!"

It's called progress Mel. We didn't come out of the stone age because we ran out of stones and were forced to move on.... We progressed. :cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin:If God had wanted us to sleep on the ground he would have made it softer, warmer, dryer and would never have let bugs use it as their homes and larger animals as their toilets. :cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin::cheesygrin:

In order to have "The great outdoors" we need an indoors to compare it too.:action::action::action:

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

All kidding aside. I have read this entire thread and the way Dusty, CJ and all you other hard core campers have come up with to be able to camp while on a bike are just amazing. And you dedication to camping is very impressive. I wish I wasn't such a woose about sleeping out doors, as for looking at the pictures it must be great to wake up to some of the scenery. Not to mention the buckets of money you save over motels. Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

69yrs old backpacked all my life. Here goes, I lay a tarp down then my pad then my bag, if it rains or snows I just pull the other half of the tarp over , never wet never cold.
I have done a 8k like this planning for my 70th next year a 12k four corner.I stop anywhere if you leave a freeway on the frontage road there will always be a spot.Headlights ,butane lighters etc all great things, ijust like to be on my bke although I have a trialer, so I pack light. Have great times

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
imported post

69yrs old backpacked all my life. Here goes, I lay a tarp down then my pad then my bag, if it rains or snows I just pull the other half of the tarp over , never wet never cold.
I have done a 8k like this planning for my 70th next year a 12k four corner.I stop anywhere if you leave a freeway on the frontage road there will always be a spot.Headlights ,butane lighters etc all great things, ijust like to be on my bke although I have a trialer, so I pack light. Have great times

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
imported post

I am doing an almost all winter camp out. Left home
Oct. 12 until Nov. 17.
I spent a total of 6 nights in a real bed.
3 with a friend in N. Carolina.
2 With my nephew in Wichata falls TX at a hotel
& 1 in a hotel because i could not set up my tent in west TX.

I am using a Eureka 3 man tent.
Some days I think its enough but then there are others
when its not. Got caught in 1 day of bad rain and tent leaked threw the floor. It quit long enough I was able to pack up and move to a dryer location.
I can only imagine what it would be like not being able to
go to bed dry.

Cooking.
Most of my food has been dehydrated needs to be boiled. The three man tent is just not big enough to be comfortable
cooking in. I have bought fruit on my trip which helps when
you cant cook.

Heat.
On those rainy days it might get a bit chilled just sitting
around. If I had an electric site I might have thought about
bringing an electric heater along.

Weight.
For this trip I did end up being over weight on all limits
for weight. I had to remove 100lbs to be safe driving. I
have eaten my way through some of my over load. I dumped some in the garbage & have given other stuff away. The bike and trailer are still over weight. I am doing this alone
and took to much along. With two people and the added
weight I'm not sure what I would have left behind to compensate.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,380 Posts
imported post

Not sure if I saw it mentioned but if you're boiling water for breakfast coffee or tea make some extra, put it in a thermos and have it ready for the mid morning break. Coffee, tea, cup of soup, hot chocolate or ??

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

We just received a couple of new sleeping bags that we ordered. These take up a whole lot less room than the old ones (those stuff sacks are Great!)
Also, Our old ones didn't zip together like these do which greatly reduced the chance of any in the tent Hanky-Panky. That alone was enough of a reason for me to want new ones :)!

Now I'm in the market for a queen sized air mattress and battery air pump to replace our current sleeping pads.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

Hi everyone! Well, I'm getting ready for the season as well as my trip out to NASSIR 4 this summer and it's time to "gear up". I've been looking at a couple of tents and would appreciate any opinions you might have on them or suggestions for alternatives. I will be riding 2-up with a small trailer so the tent needs to big enough for 2 plus our gear, must be able to stand up in it (I'm 5'10") and as compact and light weight as possible. Oh yeah, can't break the bank either!

Here's the 2 I'm currently considering.

http://www.basspro.com/Columbia-Bugaboo-II-Family-Dome-Tent/product/100671/-1643717

http://www.basspro.com/Coleman-Evanston-6-Person-Family-Dome-Tent/product/10213663/-1688669

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't consider either one of them. :waiting:

No full coverage rain fly(very important!!!)and the one with the 'recessed' door, presents to many corners for rain to enter the tent(seams) and reduces interior space. :?

Read this :readit:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

If you absolutely need/want such a large tent, I would recommend this one. Chinook Whirlwind 5

It has a full coverage rain fly, 2 doors, which are protected by one smaller vestibule and one huge vestibule to store your gear and more room to 'move about'/sit in chairs, in case of inclement weather. Cut a piece of 6 or 8 mil plastic to be 6" shorter in both directions of the tent's floor, to help protect it from being punctured(cactus/pine cones/broken glass/bottles/pop tops etc) and against wear n tear

More info(images) about the tent, can be found here..
I had inquired about the 'packed size' of that same tent(except with aluminum poles, which are lighter/stronger) and this is the reply I got. .......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Ken,

The tent measures approx 25" x 9" x 9" with just the carry bag packaged size right out of the factory box. Keeping in mind we have never been able to repack a tent to the factory size, add perhaps another inch in the cross dimensions - tent pole sections are the limiting factor for the length measurement.

Thanks for your question, Ken! Let us know how we can hook you up with this great tent!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code:
IMHO, this is a better tent at near the same price point, once you factor in shipping from the store in the 1st link, which was the cheapest overall price I could find for that tent.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

OK, that looks very functional. Center height is at 6" so we could both stand up. How about the next model up in green. It looks like the only difference is that is adds a removalable floor for the vestibule for the additonal cost of about $35...

http://www.hfoverstock.com/catalog/product.asp?pid=67660

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The Whirlwind 5 Guide series tenthas not only the detachable 'floor' for the vestibule, but also has "No See Um' mesh panels on all three large vestibule doors/openings.

While that sounds all fine and dandy, these come at a cost of an extra $35, almost 4 lbs and extra 'bulk' .... probably expanding the packed size by at least 2" in 'girth'to 9" x 9" x 25", or more. You may find that to be an acceptable 'Trade Off', for what you get.

Keep in mind an important factor, one which I don't recall being mentioned in any of the tent/camping threads ..... and that concerns the 'colour' of a tent.

The colour of the rain fly and the interior canopy of any tent is important in fairly subtle ways. "Brightly" coloured rain flysare not so 'stealthy' as a darker coloured fly. They 'stand out', while a darker colour will 'blend in' more to the surroundings.If you have a dark colouredrain fly, the interior will be dark. Might sound like just what you want for sleeping(which usually happens during the dark of night anyways), but if you have to spend time in the tent during inclement weather, the dark interior can impart a physiological feeling of 'Gloom'. Most tent manufacturers use a very light coloured (white/cream/)nylon for the 'canopy'(interior tent) to help 'brighten up' the interior, but they are not nearly as 'cheerful' as one with a lighter coloured rain fly.

Also, a dark coloured rain fly willmean a hotter tent interior when it's sunny, for obvious reasons. All that "No See Um" mesh is nice at keeping any biting insects out of the vestibule, but it also keeps out any nice breezes. Air movement/circulation within is substantially reduced with the additional netting. If the tent is warm/hot inside, the quicker/easier it is to ventilate, the more comfortable you'll be inside.Just remember to roll those mesh panelsup when not needed and you'll be fine. If it is 'buggy out', sitting inside an roomy, fully enclosed vestibule is nice.

So, now that you know the 'Pros and Cons', the choice is yours to make. ;)

BTW ..... have you given any thought about carrying/setting up a tarp at camp to keep the 'social/living/eating/kitchen area'(picnic table) covered and protected from rain? :cool:

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/r2fdTtKuQRE&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Dusty

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Halfling wrote:
OK, that looks very functional. Center height is at 6" so we could both stand up. How about the next model up in green. It looks like the only difference is that is adds a removalable floor for the vestibule for the additonal cost of about $35...

http://www.hfoverstock.com/catalog/product.asp?pid=67660
The link is bad.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
The Whirlwind 5 Guide series tenthas not only the detachable 'floor' for the vestibule, but also has "No See Um' mesh panels on all three large vestibule doors/openings.
While that sounds all fine and dandy, these come at a cost of an extra $35, almost 4 lbs and extra 'bulk' .... probably expanding the packed size by at least 2" in 'girth'to 9" x 9" x 25", or more. You may find that to be an acceptable 'Trade Off', for what you get.

Keep in mind an important factor, one which I don't recall being mentioned in any of the tent/camping threads ..... and that concerns the 'colour' of a tent.
The colour of the rain fly and the interior canopy of any tent is important in fairly subtle ways. "Brightly" coloured rain flysare not so 'stealthy' as a darker coloured fly. They 'stand out', while a darker colour will 'blend in' more to the surroundings.If you have a dark colouredrain fly, the interior will be dark. Might sound like just what you want for sleeping(which usually happens during the dark of night anyways), but if you have to spend time in the tent during inclement weather, the dark interior can impart a physiological feeling of 'Gloom'. Most tent manufacturers use a very light coloured (white/cream/)nylon for the 'canopy'(interior tent) to help 'brighten up' the interior, but they are not nearly as 'cheerful' as one with a lighter coloured rain fly.

Also, a dark coloured rain fly willmean a hotter tent interior when it's sunny, for obvious reasons. All that "No See Um" mesh is nice at keeping any biting insects out of the vestibule, but it also keeps out any nice breezes. Air movement/circulation within is substantially reduced with the additional netting. If the tent is warm/hot inside, the quicker/easier it is to ventilate, the more comfortable you'll be inside.Just remember to roll those mesh panelsup when not needed and you'll be fine. If it is 'buggy out', sitting inside an roomy, fully enclosed vestibule is nice.So, now that you know the 'Pros and Cons', the choice is yours to make.

BTW ..... have you given any thought about carrying/setting up a tarp at camp to keep the 'social/living/eating/kitchen area'(picnic table) covered and protected from rain? :cool:
Dusty
OK, I have considered all of the available Pros and Cons (all very valid) and based on my situation I am going to go with the green one with the screens and removable floor. I hadn't thought that much about the color before but I can see where it probably can make a difference however I am going to enjoy having the added flexibility for additional sleep space if I need it. Gives me some flexibility that I am going to appreciate I think.

I will be hauling a trailer most of the time when I go on an overnighter so the additional space weight is not as much as an issue for me. I realize it's still an issue that shouldn't be neglected but for me it's going to work.

I also have a tarp for additional coverage on my list of required camping items.

Just placed the order for the tent.

Thanks for helping out on this (and everything else!) Dusty. It is greatly appreciated!

John (Halfling)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Just a couple more words of advice, John.

Those tents are a pretty good size and present themselves as 'sails' when it's windy. If it is windy at all, or in the forecast, I'd advise you to use all the 'guy out' points to reduce stress on the frame(poles) and to minimize 'flapping'.

Oh ... yeah ... the tent stakes that usually come with tents are basically useless aluminumor, thin 'wire gauge' iron and will bend very easily like a pretzel and not 'hold' very well in a windy situation. Don't even consider those plastic ones! :doh:Most campgrounds now have 'improved surface'(packed gravel)camping pads and will bend/break the above stakes, when you try to drive them into the 'ground'.

Cheap way out is 9" spikes for the guy out points and MSR Ground Hog tent stakes for the body of the tent(or for all stake out points). Not cheap, but they are by far the best tent stake out there, very strong and hold great in almostall soil conditions, except deep sand.(place heavy rocks on top of the steaks) Get some extra for your Tarp.

Speaking of Tarps :cooldevil: there are areas, especially in the SW, where trees are not plentiful, or positioned conveniently,making it more difficult to erect a tarp. Your solution to that is 1, or 2 of these very strong/useful adjustable tarp poles

Braided Nylon(Parachute)cord is cheap and is all you need for any 'rigging' around camp(tarps/guy out/clothes lines) A couple of 100' packages can be cut to suit/as needed. I usually will cut it up into different lengths 1 x 50', 2 x 25' and then the other 100' I cut up into a bunch of 10' lengths. Tip; When you cut the cord, it will fry unless you singe the cut ends - just watch you don't burn your fingers on that hot nylon when 'shaping' the ends!! :shock:

Dusty

101 - 120 of 325 Posts