Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

121 - 140 of 325 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

Thanks Dusty! I like the stakes and poles you've recommended.

I'm copying all of your comments about camping into a "journal" where I will organize it into topics and wordsmith it a bit....I may have a best seller when I'm through....I suppose I'll have to give credit where credit is do though!!

:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
imported post

Can anyone tell me what they think of the Eureka Tetragon 8 tent? I've been looking at one on Ebay and thought I'd check on here before buying it.

After a couple days with no response, I read all the reviews I could find and bought the tent. I am a little leery of the fiberglass poles, but figured they'd last the first trip this July. I'll be testing it before then and if needed, I'll try to find some aluminum poles for it. I also intend to buy the tent stakes Dusty recommended. Looking forward to trying the tent out.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

LarryC wrote:
Can anyone tell me what they think of the Eureka Tetragon 8 tent? I've been looking at one on Ebay and thought I'd check on here before buying it.

After a couple days with no response, I read all the reviews I could find and bought the tent. I am a little leery of the fiberglass poles, but figured they'd last the first trip this July. I'll be testing it before then and if needed, I'll try to find some aluminum poles for it. I also intend to buy the tent stakes Dusty recommended. Looking forward to trying the tent out.
I almost got this tent myself, but instead went with the Timberline 4because of the optional vestibule or annex. Orderedmine 2 days ago and should have it on Monday or Tuesday. Hope you like the Tetragon.

Let me guess that trip in July your talking about wouldn't be the NASSIR 4 trip? :dance:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
imported post

Yep, that's the trip! My brother Leon and I will be camping the whole trip. I have most of what I need, just needed a new tent.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

Looking forward to meeting you folks at N4. My new tent is on the truck for delivery today! I've got a lot of "shakedown" events planned between now and July to get all the "bugs" out!!!

:applause:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
imported post

Well, things changed overnight. I was buying the tent on ebay and it was cancelled and my money returned this morning. Seems they made an error and listed a tent that was already sold. Haven't decided what I'll buy now. I'll probably get a timberline also.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Just a couple more words of advice, John.

Those tents are a pretty good size and present themselves as 'sails' when it's windy. If it is windy at all, or in the forecast, I'd advise you to use all the 'guy out' points to reduce stress on the frame(poles) and to minimize 'flapping'.

Oh ... yeah ... the tent stakes that usually come with tents are basically useless aluminumor, thin 'wire gauge' iron and will bend very easily like a pretzel and not 'hold' very well in a windy situation. Don't even consider those plastic ones! :doh:Most campgrounds now have 'improved surface'(packed gravel)camping pads and will bend/break the above stakes, when you try to drive them into the 'ground'.

Cheap way out is 9" spikes for the guy out points and MSR Ground Hog tent stakes for the body of the tent(or for all stake out points). Not cheap, but they are by far the best tent stake out there, very strong and hold great in almostall soil conditions, except deep sand.(place heavy rocks on top of the steaks) Get some extra for your Tarp.

Speaking of Tarps :cooldevil: there are areas, especially in the SW, where trees are not plentiful, or positioned conveniently,making it more difficult to erect a tarp. Your solution to that is 1, or 2 of these very strong/useful adjustable tarp poles

Dusty
Hope you get better real soon Dusty! We are all worried about you and want to see you back riding in style as soon as you are able!!

Got the new tent this week! I haven't set it up yet but I did count the cheap stakes (21) and ordered my replacement MSR Groundhogs from REI (25). That should take care of that issue nicely! I also ordered a couple of compression sacks and while I was at it I signed up for the lifetime membership (REI).

I pulled the tent poles out of the sack and then went to my favorite big box store (Lowe's) and purchased a 2 ft piece of 4 in PVC, a cap for one end and a threaded cover (clean out plug) for the other end. The total length is about 27 inches and the tent poles fit into the tube nicely with a little room to spare. My intention is to mount the tube on the rear of my trailer where the bumber is now located and then mount the bumper directly to the tube (it has the reflectors on it). This will keep them organized and out of the main body of the trailer. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

LarryC wrote:
Well, things changed overnight. I was buying the tent on ebay and it was cancelled and my money returned this morning. Seems they made an error and listed a tent that was already sold. Haven't decided what I'll buy now. I'll probably get a timberline also.
Larry,

Sorry to hear about that with that seller. If you are looking at the timberline 4. I found mine on ebay being soldas a store display model for only $149 with free UPS shipping. It arrived just 2 hours ago and I have it setup already and inspected it. It came in the original box and everything was new or seemed new. No stains or rips or tears in it. The seller had a few moreof the timberline 4display models that he was selling for the same price. If you want the link or sellers name let me know.

Very easy to set up even with only one person. Tent poles fit perfectly in the trunk. Just need to get the compression sack for the tent itself.

My new gps arrived today as well and is updating as I type. Heading out to get some seam sealer and some of those MSR Stakes that Dusty recommended.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

I have the Eureka Sunrise 9..........I picked it because I can stand up in it,I haven't slept in it yet, I bought it this winter........good luck with whatever you end up with. There are a lot of good tents out there....

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Larry - how many will be using/sleeping inthe tent ?

Are you hauling a trailer, or just using your bike?

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Halfling wrote:
I pulled the tent poles out of the sack and then went to my favorite big box store (Lowe's) and purchased a 2 ft piece of 4 in PVC, a cap for one end and a threaded cover (clean out plug) for the other end. The total length is about 27 inches and the tent poles fit into the tube nicely with a little room to spare. My intention is to mount the tube on the rear of my trailer where the bumber is now located and then mount the bumper directly to the tube (it has the reflectors on it). This will keep them organized and out of the main body of the trailer. What do you think?

Nice looking trailer there John.Your plan with thepvc pipe and the location sounds like a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
imported post

It looks like it will be just me in the tent. If Leon's wife doesn't go, Leon and I will share the tent, otherwise, they'll have their own tent. I bought a Tetragon 8 4 man tent today from Amazon. It should be here late next week(free shipping). We'll be pulling a trailer. We'll swap off pulling it. I'll pull one day and him the next. Since it looks like Ronda is going, I might pull it more than my share as he'll have a heavier load than me. It's an easy pulling trailer. I pulled it to the Grand Canyon and back in 06 with a pretty heavy load in it. We started with 3 bikes and 2 trailers and left one of the trailers in Oklahoma City. It was a lousy pulling trailer. So, there was gear in it for 6 people the whole trip. Mine is an ugly little aluminum box trailer, but it pulls good.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

This is my rig....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Hey there,

Trying to get some opinions onthe Big Agnes insulated air core pad from someone who owns one or has used it previously.I saw it in REI and really liked the looks of it as well as the price compared to a Therm-a-Rest pad.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Before I'd worry about a tent and camping gear, I'd go buy some clothes........

Interesting!

I wonder. . .
How do nudist colonies deal with skeeters?
(mosquito's)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

ziadelsol wrote:
Hey there,

Trying to get some opinions onthe Big Agnes insulated air core pad from someone who owns one or has used it previously.I saw it in REI and really liked the looks of it as well as the price compared to a Therm-a-Rest pad.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I didn't notice this post, earlier

The Big Agnes Insulated Air Core has had a long history of leaking, either with their valves, or through the material. Not sure if they have finally solved that problem or not yet. A lot of my backpacking 'Cronies' had their BAIAC pads suffer from such a fate. Big Agnes was good at replacing those pads and shipped out new ones, but a lot of the replacement pads suffered the same fate!

A very good pad that I would recommend is the Exped Synmat series of insulated air pads.

They come with a built in pump and come in various sizes, thickness and of course, cost..
The Symat 7 is the roughly the same size as the Big Agnes, while the large is 26" wide, by 78" long and 2.8" thick.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91271

The Symat 9 is 3 1/2" thick and 26" x 76" and also has the 'hand pump' built in!

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91306

With the hand pump, there is no need to breath into the pad, which will fill the pad with moisture from your breath and when it gets cool at night, that moisture buildup affects the insulation inside the mat and doesn't keep you quite as warm.

Here's how the hand pump on the Exped Symats work - http://www.rei.com/product/video/780369?4wMnF1MToyLXcVNd4FIo-Kddg-j9bpSC

The Therm-A-Rest self inflators are pretty good, if you are a back sleeper. If you sleep on your side, then your hips and shoulders bottom out on the pad, becoming sore. The insulated air pads that you inflate, such as a Big Agnes/Exped /Pacific Outdoor Equipment are a more comfortable/lighter/compact/thicker option for you side sleepers.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the reply Dusty,

I had been looking at the Big Agnes because of how small it rolls up. I had compared the Thermarest and the Big Agnes side by side in REI and due to the price diff and how small the agnes rolled up, I was leaning towards it, but will look into the symats now as well.

by the way I did get your pm. Thanks again.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The Synmat is pretty darn close to the Big Agnes size wise,when rolled/packed up, lots smaller than th T-A-R.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

I've ordered two of the insulated Symat 9s that are 3 1/2" thick and 26" x 76". They should be here tomorrow. We'll be camping in Crossville, TN this weekend for a test run and hopefully they will pass the "Wife Test"!!

:cheesygrin:;)

121 - 140 of 325 Posts