Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

161 - 180 of 325 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

I had looked at that Kermit as well and if I could have found a dealer locally I would have gotten it instead of the PICO one. But with my time home being limited, I did not want to order it through the mail.
We will see how the PICO holds up. I had read about how fragile they are while being set up or folded up.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

Well now, I believe that they are made here in Nashville...

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

We got aa pop up style 4 man, and use a queen size air matress that's built on top of a folding set up, similar to the canvas foldup chairs in a bag. Our weary old bones arnt much for laying on the ground anymore. Bed was $90 at a pawn shop, tent was $80 at Wally World, but seriously thinking of upgrading to a 3 room tent at $120. I guess our biggest concern there is if at a rally, how much room to take up with a tent, wouldn't want to crowd other campers, but with 3 rooms, there would always be room to share with a hard lucked riding brother or sister in need of a place to lay down.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

We bought a collapsible air mattress that os attached upon a cot type set up. Queen sized. For that very reason. Saw some on an Cabelas other day on the bargain cave for $75. Folds up like the canvas chairs in a bag.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

If anyone is looking for (what appears to be) a very good compression sack, I just received two "US Military 9 Strap Sleeping Bag Compression Stuff Sack"s that I ordered off eBay for ~$15 each -- and they look real nice. The ones I received were like new. They are large so probably for sleeping bag or maybe tent.

Here's the link: http://goo.gl/0rBxi

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

I got a similar set up for a camper( sewage hoses)..you could just buy a cheap aluminum folder pin, it looks like a square wire and pin. drill two holes on each side of the cap thru the cap and the pipe when they are screwed together. then put the pin thru, fold over the wire like locking retainer and snap it over the end of the pin.
The excitement is building and the preparations are continuing at the Halfling home! Trailer is being packed, unloaded and packed again looking for just that right combination. Lists are being checked and items missing are being sought out. Maintenance is being checked off as it is performed. Maps and schedules are being scrutinized and modified if necessary.

I got the white 4" pvc pipe installed under the rear of my trailer this weekend. It came out nice if I must say so myself. It's about 28 inches long and all of the tent poles and a couple of other long items fit in it nicely keeping them out of the trailer proper. It also gives a little bit of counterbalance weight to compensate for the ice chest on the tongue. Here's some pics!.

A pleasant side note: on my last outing I identified the lack of a "hatchet" as a discrepancy on my list. This weekend I dug around in the shed looking for one that I had seen laying around for years. I found it but it was in pretty bad shape...it was pretty rusty and the leather wrapped handle was a mess. I decided to clean it up and see if I couldn't get it back into useable condition. As I recall, it had belonged to my father back when I was a very young man. First, I used some sandpaper and took the varnish off the leather wrapped handle. It came off great and revealed a quality leather that was securely wound around the handle. It also had what looks like some white plastic rings in between a few of the leather windings for a simple design element. I then attackedthe metalwitha wire wheel and revealed (on the hilt) the"Made in the US" and a type number.The hatchetis one solid piece of steel from the tip of the blade to the base of the hilt (awesome!). The biggest surprise came when I was cleaning the surface rust of the head area, there, underneath the crime was a lightlyengraved etching of my father's name as well as the street address, city, state. We haven't owned that house since about 1975 so I think I have a pretty good idea of how old this gem is!

I've got it all cleaned up now and the leather handle has beenrestored using several coats of polyurethane (looks nice but I think it could be better). I still have more cleaning and the actual sharpening to do but this is going to be a cherished part of my camping outfit from now on. Made my day to say the least!!!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

We also have a bigger square patio like setup from walmart, really good material and it has options to make it a tent, or a screened in area if you choose as well as just a plain ol sunscreen(with no walls.) I have found it as a tent setup, to be very roomy, and easy to set up. I had a windy day at a rally in IA once, and I had 4 larger 12" spikelike stakes with hammer tops. I put one in each corner and used 4 small ratchet straps to cinch down the tent. You would be amazed at how stable this setup was in the wind. I watched others fighting the wind and ours just stayed put like a brick house..just food for though if your looking for options in a tent setup.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Someone said "Light and Fast".

My weekend set-up using the SECA. Good for a couple of nights with dinners on board for two, sleeping just for me though.

Set-up takes about ten minutes. Nothing fancy, just a lean-to with a front that can be open or closed. Open-Air.

Big Sioux River over inb Trent, SD.

Running a little high this time of year with the rain up north.

Some of the crew...

The girl in blue with the towel on her head, Jess, rides a CM450 like a Pro with no fear. She puts more miles onthat little bikethan most I know. Been riding on her own with it for a couple months now. She took a ride out to Ohio when she first got it a couple months back, ...Interstate. Girls' got nads.

...packing it up and getting ready to roll out below. Loaded and ready to roll in 'bout ten minutes. Depending on time and whatever else is going on, I can load a bike up in minutes once the food is packed.Packed a coupleoffrozen steaks into my 6-pack collapsable coolerwith a cold bottle of water for cold retention and then intothe back-pack on the tank. Went in frozen at about 1pm yesterday, stayed frozen until 11pm last night.

Light and Fast works for me too.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Packing for my very first motorcycle camping trip next weekend (3 days) I discovered that all that STUFF I’ve been collecting really does fit. Actually, it fits with room for much more than I had expected. I have a bag for the back seat (Nelson-Rigg GWS-500 Rear Seat Pack) and I recently bought another Nelson-Rigg bag for on top of the trunk – I found I didn’t need the trunk bag at all.

The rear seat pack holds my tent (Marmot 3 person), tarp, sleeping bag, pillow, bike cover, and other assorted camping related items like ax, shovel, rope, etc. and it still has room for more. The trunk and saddle bags were more than enough for my clothes, rain gear, stove, fuel, kitchen items, food, water, and a bunch of other items. The list is rather long – reason why I thought I’d need an extra bag for on top of the trunk. A small camp chair and my sleeping pad will be secured on top of the trunk rack.

I’m staying within Colorado with travel through four or five very scenic mountain passes. Here’s a map of my planned route.

I'm READY!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Lee, that's a Nelson-Rigg I used on the overnight up above. Held my Canon camcorder and a thermal vest I used for a pillow. Great trunk. I usually swap it around from one bike to another when needed. On the 'Wing ('78), I just set it on the fender and tail-light and strap it down (as in my avatar).

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
imported post

I now find this thread after most of my ride is almost over. been gone for almost 1 year I took way to much stuff with me.
This is the first time I been gone so long. I have done several shorter trips and always over pack.
I will say I have learned much this trip and I will rethink next trip I take.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

It's a learning process that comes with experience, Tod ..... much like learning to walk 1st, before you can run. :cool:
I still end up taking too much in the way of clothes. :?

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

During my trip home from NASSIR4 the shock cord inside one of my long tent poles broke. I spent the final 2 nights of the trip putting the poles together without the shock cord (real pain). I was able to get some replacement shock cord through REI at 25 cents per foot (50 feet of 1/8 inch) and once I figured out how it was attached at the ends the repair was pretty simple. The ends of my fiberglass poles have a metal tip that is glued to the pole. The shock cord runs through this narrow tip and a knot keeps it from going all the way through. It was near impossible to get the cord through the tip while it was glued to the pole so I took a torch and heated the tip enough to melt the glue and removed it. This allowed for a much easier installation of the cord. Once the cord was properly installed (making sure to put a bit of glue on the knots before pulling them into the tips) I glued the tips back onto the pole. Works like new! I now have a quantity of cord left over for additional repairs should the need arise.

Note: I believe the original break occurred because I didn't take enough care when folding the poles up for storage. The cord rubs on the metal connection points at the end of each piece and I believe it cut through the cord after repeated abuse. I'll be much more careful in the future.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

A three man tent, 10'x10' canopy. Two 10'x10' tarps, coleman air mattress with a batt powered pump. Jetboil cookset,a hatchet, and a Zippo lighter. My vacation home in Laconia for bike week :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

looks like home sweet home riffraff

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I'll add just one thing with this post and it concerns tarps. :2finger:

Most people I see here with a tarp have it set up over their tent.

While I can see how people want to keep their tents dry, especially cheap, inexpensive tents that will leak like a sieve if rained upon .

BUT ....

what about the picnic table!! :sleepy: :?

By setting a tarp up over the picnic table, you now have a sheltered area to cook, sit, carry on conversations with your partner/friend(s) place to 'live' when it's inclement, instead of being stuck in your cramped tent!

Just something to think about!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

Norton; Jet boils do more than just boil water. You can get all sorts of recipes on line for useing just the minimal set up. You can also get a fry pan and a good size pot. It works great and uses very little fuel. I think it's money well spent.Besides, the way weather is going haywire all over the country, you may need it right at home! :thumbsup:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
Do any of you guys carry a "Jetboil" cooker?

Like This:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Jetboil-FLASH-Java-Kit-PCS-Cooking-Stove-NIB-BLUE-/200552818157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb1e125ed#ht_2216wt_903

I've been thinking about getting one for hot coffee in the mornings but $100. just to boil some water is pretty expensive.
I would like to find out more about them before spending the $$$.
I bought and now use a Jetboil stove. It boils two cups of water in two minutes. It is great for coffee. Packs up small so it fits in the side box and weights nothing. The cup and the french press makes a great cup of coffee.

Google Jetboil coffee and see what you get. Worth the money.

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

This is a nice one I got for the grandkids... Wal Mart

161 - 180 of 325 Posts