Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Terraplane sidecar that I am going to mount to a GL 1200.
If someone has a picture or good advice please let me know. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have all the parts from the sidecar out . Where and how the mounts look on the motorcycle will be a big help. Thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Sounds good. Let me know if these pics look like what you have. If so, then I can write up some instructions on how to mount 'em.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the link and pictures of the plates that are mounted to the frame of the motorcycle that is what I need to fab. up.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
The trick to 'em is that the clvis/hiem joints need to be inline and parallel to the ground. They need to act like the hinge of a door. If you get that wrong, even a little, then the car will be hard to align. The struts act to push/pull the bike to/from the car. The car's wheel should be toe'd in a little and the bike leaned away from the car (about 1-3 degrees from vertical). All those adjustments are made when the car and bike are loaded.

Get ahold of Jay at DMC sidecars. He has those plates ready to ship for $150. You'll need to add the U-bolts and threaded rod to replace the lower engine mount thru bolt. I added a couple U-bolts and i can show ya what I did to give the U-bolts some extra surface. Jay can also advise you on any differences between the 1100's and the 12's. He's a really smart guy and has Ben doing this for years. Will save ya a bit of aggravation.

Jay G
DMC Sisecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Something else that makes those plates kinda tough to fab is that they have standoffs welded to the back sides. You can see a little of the standoff peeking out of the top of the front mount in the pic above.

A little paint, some hardware, and you'll have solid mounts set up for straight forward alignment adjustments! You'll see what I mean when you have a set in your hands.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I get the mounts . I will send you a P M .
My plan is to take my time and get it right.
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.