Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I finnally got one for my 1982 Aspencade. Its all set up doesn't wobble or pull to either side. It will take a little getting use to but I am not having any problems. However I am going to sign up for the safety course.

My Goldwing has been sitting a couple of years. Though it starts immediatly; don't even hear it turn over. It doesn't have the zip I think it6 should. I did change the gas and will run it a while before I do anything else.

Love the sidecar.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Good idea the safety course, it takes some getting used to. Show us a picture some time!

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

After thirty years of biking, I decided to put a sidecar on my Honda 750. I thought "this'll be easy". Boy, was I wrong. I was getting pulled into the path of oncoming traffic, almost tipping over, and hitting the curb. Start off easy in a quiet subdivision. Take a course. Sidecars can be deadly weapons.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
nearly killed myself with my first car... now on our fourth... but it REALLY takes getting used to
There is a learning curve. First time I ever tried one it frightened the life outa me! :shock:

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

Nice ride, wish you could have taken the photo with a little more light. I'm trying to find descent photograph of mounting point of any of the Goldwing motorcycles, to make up a reference tool for those thinking of becoming a sidecar driver. not to mention, I would like to install one onto my 1981 Goldwing 1100.

For some reason, it appears that showing this part of the retrofit is a trade secret of something, I can't get anyone to explain it to me or provide me with any information unless I either buy their sidecar or their custom mounting kit.

I like doing for myself, that way I know how to fix what it is I am installing, or at least have the knowledge already their to do it.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Jim :coollep:

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

glcxrider wrote:
Nice ride, wish you could have taken the photo with a little more light. I'm trying to find descent photograph of mounting point of any of the Goldwing motorcycles, to make up a reference tool for those thinking of becoming a sidecar driver. not to mention, I would like to install one onto my 1981 Goldwing 1100.

For some reason, it appears that showing this part of the retrofit is a trade secret of something, I can't get anyone to explain it to me or provide me with any information unless I either buy their sidecar or their custom mounting kit.

I like doing for myself, that way I know how to fix what it is I am installing, or at least have the knowledge already their to do it.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Jim, I have a zip file with some pictures of a veloux side car mounting instructions, not the greatest pictures but the principal is the same on almost all sidecars. I also might have some photos at home of others I've collected for a future possible project one which if it still on my computer back home shows the mounting points on a 81. I'll look this evening and see if I can get them all in one location, and maybe I'll try to pm you and send you copies.

Gene:waving::11ltblue::11ltblue::11ltblue::cooler:

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

Gene: That will be great, I guess I can't be to picky who took the photos and complain about quality, you did say they were free? LoL :dude:

I'm making plans now to travel the two and a half hours, one way to pick up my sidecar on Monday. Once I see the type of front mount ans size diameter the mounts should be, I will be sending that information off to Jay at Dauntless.

I'll have a couple or more weeks from then to do, well to do what I can, to get the Goldwing ready and in tip top road shape.

I've never had so many things seem to go right, then to be hung up for some delay or another reason. I always thought I was a patient guy, but I guess I need to work on it. It appears someone upstairs is trying to tell me. LoL

Anyway, doing what you can is most appreciated. Remind me if we meet and the first round of whatever is on me.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Ok, here is a web page with some pictures, I can't get the zip file in here, so you'll have to pm me with your email to send it to you.

http://motorvation.com/gl12mts1.htm

Gene:waving::11ltblue::11ltblue::11ltblue::byebye:

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

WELCOME to the World of the Third Wheel!

Have driven hacks for 30+ years, on-and-off and I still try to maintain respect for them, especially in right-hand turns! Have owned 4 rigs [old BMW/Hollandia, old Guzzi/Spirit Eagle, GL1000/CSC FSI and our present rig [BEST of the bunch; hands down!] '95 GL1500/CSC FSIII. It takes a LOT of getting used to and whenI've toldthis to many solo riders, they think I'm kidding them. The KEY to the whole experience is having the rig set up CORRECTLY [the Big 3: wheel lead/ toe-in/ lean] and then; practice, practice, practice! And, Leading Link Forks are a must with me, asI've had standard forkson some rigs and they are nowhere near as good!

Anyway, am obviously a diehard and would not go back to riding solo for anything[too many years on rigs; have adopted automatic reflexes when driving which are totally different thandriving solo and would probably do myself bodily harm if I tried a solo machine]. Joined local NE sidecar club 2 1/2 years ago anddo their monthly newsletter and they are Great bunch of folks [see post in Events]!

How else can you carry 175# of camping gear or bring $167.00 worth of groceries home or never have to put your feet down to hold up a heavy machine or carry your wife behind you and your grandson; well protected and seat-belted or have a 1000 cca pickup truck battery start your rig, no sweat incold weather EVERY time or carry on a3-way intercom conversation with your rear and sidecar passenger orhave SO MANY folks smile and wave at you, especially when you're riding in a large sidecar group!

F.Y.I: http://www.sidecar.com is the National Sidecar Club's officialweb site [USCA aka United Sidecar Association] and Dr. Hal Kendall has made available to them aDVD on sidecar set-up &operation which is free with any USCA membership. TTFN.........;)

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

papasmurf, I like it. I only have one obvious reason other than it appealed to me, It was the only fiancially challenged way I could continue to ride in relative safety, getting on and off the motorcycle safely the number one reason.

You peaked my interest with the 1000 cranking amp battery, how and where did you install the battery, and is a motorcycle such as a Goldwing 1100 able to keep such a battery charged. I like the idea of having that extra umph, when starting in cold weather, not to mention, it would come in handy if you need to run an air pump on the off chance you get a flat.

Any information on the battery hook up and installation would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

With regard to usinglarge battery in'75 GL1000 thru'87GL1200: in this instance, I would keep this type battery[fully charged, of course]in my s/c trunk[for added ballast]with jumper cables. WHY? I don't think your alternator would last very long, trying to keep a large battery charged.
I'm taking a gamblewith my GL1500 setup: Havebatteryon r h side of s/c trunk, for added ballast. 6 ga. red and blackcopper cables[from Home Depot] exit s/c body near base of rear upper strut. Cables ty-wrapped to strut and run intoWing battery compartment.They're tied into battery leads with 6 ga. screw-type terminal lugs. OriginalWing battery went to town recycle center; bad cell.Eventually the alternator willgo, keeping my large battery charged, but have used OK for 3 riding seasons, to-date. Then, I will probablyinstall a Compu-Fire aftermarket alternator. TTFN.....

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

I was reading something somewhere, been reading so much lately, it's hard to remember where it was that I read it. I gives some detail on how to mount an after market alternator and discusses pulley options and such, so that you get the proper output during idle situations. Found it a promising idea, but will have to see how having a sidecar on may or may not interfere with the installation location.

Thanks for the information, I guess I could put one in with a tender charger hooked up, so when I stop somewhere with power, I can top it off and keep it charged that way for emergency use on those longer rides.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.