Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new wing out last night to shake it down and see how it runs (great BTW) but my radio has terrible reception. I can't tell if it's a loose wire or the signal. Where it's sitting in my garage it get's my station (100.7) in just fine. Once I pulled out into the driveway it was on and off (mostly off).

Are there connections between the antennae and the radio?
Can an antennae go bad?:wtf:
Is there any way to boost my reception?
My bike has dual antennae mounts but only one antennae, could one have been for a long gone CB and the other (missing one) been for the radio?

Thanks in advance.

·
killer driller
781 Posts
its possible that the radio antenna is gone and the cb antenna is left, I would trace the coaxel to make sure it goes from radio to antenna

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
The 84 Aspy comes with only one antenna. it includes the preload (black ceramic part 1/2 way up the antenna) and this one antenna serves both the radio and the CB. Unlike other years there is an automatic switching box under the left fairing pocket that will connect the single antenna to both the radio and the CB too.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
one of the usual culprits is the connections behind the radio, there is a lock on the dash, which allows for easy removal of the radio. clean the contacts with a contact cleaner.

The OEM stat, is usually one antenna on the right hand side, is used both for radio and CB, its achieved by a splitter.

some owners (like me) have taken the splitter out, and have a left and right antenna, with the left hand usually for the CB only, and the right hand for radio only.

if the cleaning of the connections, doesnt help, you can check the antenna, with a multi meter by checking for continuity.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I have taken a little pick and lifted the little brass connectors after I've cleaned them. This works wonders for a few months then the vibration flattens them out again and your reception goes away again.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Is the single antenna concept for all 1200's? How about a 1986 GL 1200? I was told I have NO cb because I don't have a second antenna, BUT it DOES have the "preload" that was mentioned. Any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at some pics on my phone (at work currently) and my bike definitely had two antennaes on it before. The threaded base is still there just no mast. When I get home I'll definitely give the contacts on the back of the radio a good cleaning and try switching sides with the mast I have and see if it helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So I'm out here working on it now. Pulled.radio, cleaned contacts, no change. Switched sides with the antennae, definitely right side is radio. Funny thing, just like the old TV's if I stand here with my hand on the black part of the antennae I get great reception! Lol, so any other ideas? My arm may get tired reaching back for the antennae all day, lol.

Edit: I also bent the contacts up to achieve a better connection. No change.

Edit 2: I checked resistence from the top portion of antennae to just below the black piece and I get a solid 1 Ohm of resistence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.