1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Found this on CL

___

A lady named "Sandy" went down the street on a test ride on my bike and didn't come back. Sunday at 3:15. Her partner drove a white Subaru Outback. She is 5 ' 4" and 190 lbs. Please let me know if you see my bike.

thanks, 541 913 9962

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,478 Posts
imported post

A compelling reason to have all test rides with the buyer as a pillion rider.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

Compelling reason to just offer to see if a return can be made after the sale if there is a problem with the bike, unless you know the person. I am careful who I let behind me!

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

That is why I would always demand some sort of collateral--visa card, drivers licence, or the like before letting any stranger take my bike. Then I probably would not do it anyway. Probably depends on how much I want to sell.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

While it's within reason for a buyer to want to test ride a motorcycle before buying, there are certainly precautions to take.
When you are selling your personal bike, it's not your job to try sell the xyz brand to anyone. You are not a dealer, you are just a person selling their bike. The buyer should already be familiar with what they are looking at. Therefore, it would be reasonable to simply put them on the back and give them a ride to display to them that everything works properly.
Collateral would be essential, but even with that, I'd be reluctant to let anyone pilot the bike. Too much can happen. Dishonesty is only one of the things that can go wrong.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
imported post

Well around here we just had a friends friend, you know the routine, was looking to buy another harley left his bike with the seller to test ride the for sale bike, someone pulled out in front of him and he ended in the hospital with a lot of broken parts, where you have a long recovery and have to relearn how to walk. But it will be interesting to see the lawsuits flying around over this one.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

What if the pillion has a knife or a gun and just tells you to stop and get off the bike while away from home?.

AZgl1500 wrote:
A compelling reason to have all test rides with the buyer as a pillion rider.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I don't know what would bother me most; them stealing it. or them wrecking it, and the possible following law suit.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
I don't know what would bother me most; them stealing it. or them wrecking it, and the possible following law suit.
That would be my concern. They get into a wreck and the law suits ensue.

No way are they getting a ride unless I holding the cash. If they don't like it after the ride (and there is no damage) they can have the cash back!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Cash or no cash, if the potential buyer wrecks and kills someone or him / herself, you could still be liable since the title is still in the sellers name...

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

Heck, my wife said that she would bury me in my bike. SOOOOOOO..... I am going to keep it around for awhile and enjoy it:cheeky1:

Everrett

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

A fool and his bike are soon parted.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I would never buy a bike without riding it first.

I would never let someone ride one I was selling, without a wad of cash in my hand.

I have walked away from sellers that wouldn't let me test ride a bike.

I would expect the same.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

You can tell who is serious or not when selling anything, or if I'm the buyer, if I'm serious, I let them know it by proving it to them,of all the cars, boats, motorcycles, and even a few golf carts I've bought and sold over the years, I've never had a problem, although I feel the area which I live is a huge factor on what I state.;)

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I have allowed test rides. I grab another wing or my Triumph and follow along.

If it's stolen or wrecked, I don't really care, as long as I'm safe (not shot or stabbed). Insurance will cover me, or at the very worst, I've lost the value of a used vehicle.

As far as lawsuits, that's a serious pain that I don't want to encounter.

Fortunately, that's what umbrella liability policies are good for. :) $2MM is a good point in today's world.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, cash in hand, and an agreement signed saying, if I break it I bought it, in a bit more legal like language. You think it's tricky selling a motorcycle, try selling a single place airplane.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Yep, cash in hand, and an agreement signed saying, if I break it I bought it, in a bit more legal like language. You think it's tricky selling a motorcycle, try selling a single place airplane.
I did exactly that when I bought my wing, I watched them count it(money), along with the fact that my truck and trailer sat in thier driveway with the keys in it, they knew I was serious.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.