Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, second post on this forum ... :cheers:

I have a used CB that I'm about ready to install in my bike ('98 GL1500A). Before I pull my fairing all apart, however, I had the bright idea that it might be worth testing this radio to make sure it WORKS first.

Thanks to all the awesome posts on this forum I have been able to map all the pins and have a pretty good idea about what NOT to connect 12v DC to. If I have it right, :praying: the 6-pin brown connecter coming off the sub-harness at the transceiver is were I connect power. Looking at the connector with the locking post on top, the lower right pin is power and the lower middle is ground.

That said, when I DO connect power there I get nothing.

So ... have I done it right and have a bumm unit ... is there something else I need to connect too and I'm just missing something ... or did I connect power to the wrong pin and just turn my CB into a paperweight ... :? ???

Thanks in advance!!

·
Pwhoever
3,341 Posts
If you are successful in putting power to the right pins, all that you will be able to test is that the unit turns on or off and nothing more. The CB needs to be connected to the factory stereo to be able to hear it and the left handlebar switch needs to be connected or you won't be able to check the transmit or channel changing ability. So you will still need to remove some of the fairing to make the connections but then just make sure that it is working before buttoning everything up.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
don't try transmit with out antanea hook up, could damage cb.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't gotten as far as any other tests though, by the sound of it, I'm glad I hadn't.

All I'm trying to do at the moment is get the thing to turn on. I didn't get anything on the LCD when I first tried, but subsquent reading has lead me to believe tht MAY be due to a dead LCD.

I'll have to keep trying.

Thanks for the quick feedback!!!

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
I'm completely not following this whole deal -- you lose me at the "6-pin brown connecter coming off the sub-harness at the transceiver"...

Are you talking about a 16-pin connector on the rear of the tranceiver itself? (hopefully, not the 6-pin at the AM/FM/Cassette).

Reason for my confusion is that the CB harness has a 16 pin connector at the tranceiver, and 12-pins at the AM/FM/Cassette unit...

At the Tranceiver, there are TWO wires that you'd wanna have at +12V (the Back-Up and the ACC in) these are both on one end of the tranceiver's plug (top and bottom) You'll be able to recognize these best by wire color :
  • The Back-Up (memory) power should be on a Red wire with a Yellow stripe (non-latching edge of the connector)
  • The ACC power in should be on the latching edge of the connector next to the Back-Up wire on a Light-green with Black stripe wire...
The power ground for the tranceiver should be along the non-latch side of the connector one space away from the Back-Up pin on a normal Green with black stripe wire...

Lemme clarify my confusion with an image showing the tranceiver's conenctor pin functions, and a simple receive test setup from the plug perspective (FWIW, the plug from the vehicle-side harness from the '86-'91 Honda Prelude fits the GL1500's CB Tranceiver):

Which 6-pin connector are you working with? Or maybe NOT an OEM CB ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Satan .?. Dare I say I'm apprehensive to communicate with THE dark angel :angel2:... but here goes ...

Thanks for the correction. I've been banging my head for several days. Appearently I've been reading the chart while sitting on my brain. :doh:

Regarding the 'brown connector' ... You may be right, my harness may have been modified. :stumped: I hadn't seen the pinout diag you posted before, and now it seems my harness doesn't match up entirely ... {heavy sigh} ... Look slike I'll be building my own ... Well, at least I have all the connectors.

Thanks 1,000,000 for the feed back!!!!!!

:bow:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
If you're seeing a 6-pin connector about where your left knee is as you ride... that would be appropriate for the CB installation, but wholey inadequate for testing the tranceiver. (should have been taped into the main harness with BLUE tape)

What that 6-pin plug is is the bike-side connections (power as you were exploring) for the CB's sub-harness... the Sub Harness is a "Y" shaped bit of kit that has the 12 and 16-pin conectors I mentioned as well as the 6-pn that you mention (also, comes with an integral GREEN chassis grounding wire with loop-lugs on each end to connect the CB chassis to the AM/FM chassis)...

Seems that you're missing the sub-harness (combining the 6-pin that you found with the 12 pin from the AM/FM into the 16-pin for your tranceiver...) FWIW, the Mic-key and channel up/down from the handlebar switch is also routed in the bike's main harness (so those would also be in your 6-pin brown connector) -- So kinda backwards from what you have, but the 6-pin to the bike would provide power into the "Y" shaped sub harness... Where you trying to power the tranceiver using the sub-harness? (this would kinda resolve my confusion)

Do you have the handlebar switches installed? (when you do there's a wire-for-wire color matched bunch of 4 butt connectors inside the left handelbar's cover)...

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Satan .?. Dare I say I'm apprehensive to communicate with THE dark angel :angel2:... but here goes ...

:bow:
Ya, I was too! Just don't bow down to him!!! ;)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!!! The wiring diag the good dark angel :)-)) posted has helped ALOT ... I am now almost 100% certain I have the correct terminals mapped. Bottom left is DC, third in from top left is ground. That's the good news.

The badnews is, I think I may have smoked the whole unit.

I connected the power and ground terminals to a power source, and the CB LED began to glow, which I thought promising, until I heard a muted POP followed by a puff of smoke and the smell of burnt plastic.:?

Any ideas what just happened??? :praying2:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KC9KS ... I'd have to say yes ... Here's how I connected it ...

I have an AC-to-DC converter I use when I need to run something like a car vac and have an AC outlet available, so I don't have to draw off the car battery. I also use it when I want to inflate our camp air matress, using the 12v blower we have for camping.

I built a plug that has a normal cigarette style plug on one end and spade style connectors on each wire at the other end.

I then connected the 16 pin block connector to the back of the CB, attached the spade connectors to the appropriate terminals and plugged the cigarette plug end into my AC-to-DC converter.

I should probably add that I tested voltage at both the outlet directly off the AC-to-DC converter recepticle with nothing plugged in AND the spade connectors while it was connected to the converter. Both read 13.8 volts.

One other thing ... I openned the bottom of the CB and don't see anything that looks charred or shows obvious signs of having burned up...

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
KC9KS ... I'd have to say yes ... Here's how I connected it ...

I have an AC-to-DC converter I use when I need to run something like a car vac and have an AC outlet available, so I don't have to draw off the car battery. I also use it when I want to inflate our camp air matress, using the 12v blower we have for camping.

I built a plug that has a normal cigarette style plug on one end and spade style connectors on each wire at the other end.

I then connected the 16 pin block connector to the back of the CB, attached the spade connectors to the appropriate terminals and plugged the cigarette plug end into my AC-to-DC converter.

I should probably add that I tested voltage at both the outlet directly off the AC-to-DC converter recepticle with nothing plugged in AND the spade connectors while it was connected to the converter. Both read 13.8 volts.

One other thing ... I openned the bottom of the CB and don't see anything that looks charred or shows obvious signs of having burned up...

Now that you have it opened, looked at the wires you put the power to, there may be a internal fuse on one of these wires. I wouldn't think that they would build these transceivers without a fuse., but I've been wrong before. I if you saw smoke, then most likely a componet has opened up such as a capacitor, resistor or transistor.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TerryJ63 ... It's hard to tell where the external pin traces to inside, but I don't see anything that looks like a fuse. Lots of resistors and what I assume are capacitors.

I've opened the CB more and I still don't see anything that looks even alittle burned.

I applied DC to the power terminal but DIDN'T connect the ground terminal, then measured voltage at the ground terminal and got 13.1(ish) volts. I assume that means the primary circiuts inside the CB are still intact, though I'm reluctant to re-connect the ground directly.

Does anyone know where I can find a schematic for this puppy???

·
Pwhoever
3,341 Posts
CLICK HERE for the CB service manual. But for the life of me, I cant figure out why you were trying to take shortcuts instead of getting the right harness for the CB unit. I know they can be hard to find but you would have still needed the harness to hook up one on the bike anyway. And if it turns out that this unit is bad, the replacement would also need the harness as well. Not trying to preach but it might have saved you some headaches...

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pwhoever ... I'm a glutton for punishment ...?... :?

Also, I did purchase the one harness that was up on Ebay, mainly because I ruined the 12 pin connector trying to pull the wires out.:lash: SERIOUSLY over priced, but what can ya do ... ?

Anyway, As I mentioned, the biggest problem seems to be a fried resistor on the board shown in step 5 on page two of the service manual you provided (HUGE thank you for THAT , BTW!!!:bow:).

The resistor in question is the fifth item up from the bottom, just to the left of the long thin component in the middle of the board. It has what LOOKS like a green body and shows (I think) four bands. Unfortunately the outer casing has flaked off at one end, so I don't know what the first color band is, but the other three are in fairly good shape. The second is very slightly scorched, but looks mostly brown, then black and finally gold.

The research I've done describes the fourth band is a 'multiplyer', and gold indicates a 5% factor. Since I don't know what the first color band is, all I know for sure at this point is this resistor is between 11 and 91 Ohms. When I test it, it shows ~33 Ohms. But, like I said, it was smoking, so it's probably damaged.

My question is, at this point ... Does resistance go up or down after a resistor has been overheated?? I'm hoping it goes UP, since that would significantly narrow the possibilities. If I was a betting man (which I have to be at this point), I'd say this is a 21 Ohm resistor. Anyone out there wanna lay odds on it?? :dighole:I mean, what the heck, I'm in this deep, might as well keep digging.

Thanks again for all the feedback!!! I'll keep you all posted.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turns out the problem was an ID-10-T error all along (the idiot being me).

I color coded the DC connector I made backwards and was supplying power to the ground terminal. Once I got the resistor replaced, I tried again and almost smoked that one too. When I swapped DC terminals the CB lit up like a charm.

Thanks again to all who offered their assistance. Despite the block-head mistake, I learned ALOT about this radio, so it wasn't all a waste. Thanks again to pwhoever for the service manual and to the good dark angel for the pinout of the CB block connector. If nothing else I hope this thread helps someone avoid a similar mistake.

... and for my NEXT trick, I will be installing my Clarion CB model JC-213H in my 1998 GL1500A ... :RTFM: ... after READING The F---ing Manual.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.