Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Thought I would open a separate thread in regard to the Texas Horn Toads 2012 Spring Break Ride.

Because I know my work schedule about a year in advance, my dates are hard-set and static. There might be some variation by a day or two on the front or rear end. I do like to get home a day or so early to get some laundry done and re-set my head for work.

My dates are: 03.10.12 - 03.18.12

Desertwings
and I have already been chattering about destinations and the idea of southern New Mexico is being discussed. (Which would be awesome!) Silver City, Mayhill, Weed and the Cloudcroft area have already been mentioned.

My primary concern is that it might be a bit cold in those locations during the second week of March. Last year (and the year before) I was checking those locations and the nights were still way below freezing and the days only warmed up into the high 60's or lower 70's after about 3 PM.

That's a bit frosty for me! (and Saralou!) Spring break is supposed to be fun... not brutal. Also... that is a ski area so if we are going that way we need to get our acts together or lose our lodging to the skiers. If we wander too far north or into the higher elevations nights become very cold and the chances of nastiness if the weather turns bad increase.

Correct me if I am wrong, Randy. However, I can distinctly remember a heavy snow on in Alamogordo, NM on March 24th in 1986. (White Sands is a odd sight to see covered in snow.)

Of course, there is Big Bend.

Okay... I am opening discussion. I'm going! I ALWAYS go! The question is: where are we going and what are our time lines?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

There is always chance of snow till Easter north of 380. Best to stay in the plains lower elv. and ride up into the mnts. as the day warms back down by dusk. The weather day to day would determine direction of ride for the day. Most of the time here snow is in flurries fast and wet doesn't stick ground for long to warm by than. It can be chilly most of the day for riding always have to go prepaired for the worse you can get stuck some where. This can turn a rider into outdoors men for awhile part of the fun for some not for others not just credit card riding here unless it doubles as a hand warmmers ;)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Alrighty... I am tentatively in. Typically I like to "hole up" somewhere and take what I call "Day Loops" out of a base camp. I do not want to "move camp" every day. Is that what we are talking about here?

What do you perceive as our "base of operations?"

I have to say I like ghost towns and deserts. And am somewhat familiar with central NM. I like mountains and sunny skies... but if it gets too frosty (below 40-ish) it's too cold for my thin borderland desert blood. Jeeze... it was 104 here today! THIS is what I am used too. Hot, hot, hot! I can ride in 30 degree weather for an hour or two... but any longer than that and I'm a Popsicle! I am just not outfitted for such weather.

Also remember... I am bringing a greenhorn. Never been on a MC tour EVER! Easy and scenic is good... a bit brisky in the morning is fine... but brutally cold is not an option. Otherwise it's too cold for the ladies and I like it that Saralou comes along. She was a real trooper last year in Big Bend. The spring break ride is supposed to be fun... not a test of manly-man endurance.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Ok lets think about baseing out of Tularosa or alamogordo? Leaves better chance of warmer temps to start leaves alot within reach of a day ride. Kind of central for those out of AZ. If we have a day with colder temps head south nice day head north going to have to play it day by day. Can put togeather a group of day rides watch weather and pick one thenight before. I to have a lady that depends on the outside temp for body temp have to keep an eye on her or she will turn blue and not say anything.

Give some feed back

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Just a bit of pre-advance work looking at available lodging in Alamogordo...

Day Inn 51.00

Comfort Inn a bit more

Motel 6 41.00

There are lots of Mom & Pop places (which I am not against!) but those sorts of place often do not have websites and take good deal more research in google maps and such.

Forthcoming...

Not much in Tularosa....

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Hey guys, Not sure we could do Alamagordo. What about Pecos as a base and then ride the Guadalupe mtns, tentatively? We will have to see what goes as we get closer.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I'd buy that... but rooms are cheaper in Van Horn by a long shot....

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

That being said, if ya'll want to do Alamagordo, by all means do it and don't let us not coming be a deterrent in spoiling you guys's fun. I know it would be great riding. I
just don't think we are ready for that distance in just a week. As US was saying, Sara Lou does not do cold. If it is below 70 she is not happy. Especially on the back of a bike.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Ft Stockton? Crane? Monohans? just ideas....Odessa? Kermit?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Or justcaseT around BIG BENDnot going to find to many +65 degree days in the hills here if it does it's for a short time during day. March you can count on some wind always the fun part. Balls in your court

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

My attitude about this is all of those places are mind boggling 2 dimensional and therefore BORING! Folks I work with often make remarks about how I am always riding out to Big Bend over spring break. "Don't you ever get tired of going to the same place... over and over."

This is what I have often referred to on the forum as "the tyranny of distance."

I know Drifter will attest to this... here in Texas the state is SOOOO big, that it takes about 10 to twelve hours of riding for us to get anywhere other than Texas. And Drifter is in Corpus which is even worse than where I live.

I have spent decades in thought and research on this... but excluding the hard-core, frothing-at-the-mouth, no-holds-barred, bonzai two 10 hour day highway run... there are few destinations that are within easy reach of central and south Texas.

In the second week of March if we venture too far... or too far north... if the weather turns sour... we cannot make it home in time to keep our jobs. And believe me... I have seen this happen MANY times. I have seen it snow in Big Bend for four days in mid March. In March of 2003 I watched the start of the Iraqi war on CNN while holed up at the Antelope Lodge in Alpine. Back in those days i was self employed so the wait wasn't really a problem. These days... I would have no choice but to cut and run...

So... within the scope of a one week trip... that pretty much only leaves west and east Texas real as options. If your headed west... that only leaves the Davis Mountains and Big Bend as viable options. The Guads are a nice drive by... but there aren't really any roads that go "through" the Guadalupes. That west side over in Eddy county NM is nice... and remote... but all those roads are dirt. 100's & 100's of miles of dirt roads... most of which I have driven, years ago. Pretty to see... but no place to stay. Dell City Texas isn't really a vacation mecca.

I would say this... Balmorrhea isn't much of a town... but there is the state park campground and they have rental cabins with kitchens and bathrooms... there are two motels there, a few cafes and it is within easy day rides of the Davis Mountains, the Guads, the ghost town of Orla, and if you wanted to start early and have a big ride day you can loop down into the Big Bend National Park...

BUT... the state park at Balmorrhea is a VERY popular spring break location for scuba divers and arrangements would have to be made very early...

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

I won't to add to what 385 said. It is hard to get out of you back yard unless you go three hundred miles. Now that I have training wheels on my bike I will not be looking for crooked roads. I will ride the same roads with a different outlook It is always the same when it's time to turn back, I just want to keep going & going& going.

:?:waving::applause::thumbsup:

Jimmie Rabbit

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well said Mr. Rabbit

I have often thought that it would be cool to rent one of these vacation rental places... it seems expensive... but some of them sleep six. Which in the long run might be cheaper...

This is fun site to browse...

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/texas/big-bend-country

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I know, I know... I am compulsive about such things... but I just cannot keep myself from playing with the milelage functions in Google Maps.

Theoretically... let's just say that we choose Fort Davis as a base locale... nice place... cool shops... lodging... campgrounds... restaurants... etc. etc.

Along the most direct route, this makes Randy closest at 401 miles... with no major cities along the route.

If I avoid the metropolitan sprawl of San Antonio by squirting out through F'burg, I'm a close second at 417 miles.

And if Steve and Saralou also avoid SA by taking the low road through Del Rio, they're at 502.

Randy... did you realize you were closer to Big Bend than we are?

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

:? From where and what direction do you try to observe the Marfa lights. :watching:

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

yes sir 611 to hallaweener 1100 to corpus about 800 to you. ya know it's that whole truck driver thing.Been most everywhere on 18know do it 2up on 2. As long as we stay out of Laredo, McAllen and Pharr It works for me been there done that to many times.:gunhead:No kidding about no major cities there is times going down 285 smile when you see a rabbit. Thinking about going to the Padres for Chirstmas or maybe san Deigo New Mexico I have found to be a good place to be and ride out of when your home you are out of the way but a good long day ride gets you to a lot of cool places.

us385south wrote:
I know, I know... I am compulsive about such things... but I just cannot keep myself from playing with the milelage functions in Google Maps.

Theoretically... let's just say that we choose Fort Davis as a base locale... nice place... cool shops... lodging... campgrounds... restaurants... etc. etc.

Along the most direct route, this makes Randy closest at 401 miles... with no major cities along the route.

If I avoid the metropolitan sprawl of San Antonio by squirting out through F'burg, I'm a close second at 417 miles.

And if Steve and Saralou also avoid SA by taking the low road through Del Rio, they're at 502.

Randy... did you realize you were closer to Big Bend than we are?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Rabbit wrote:
:? From where and what direction do you try to observe the Marfa lights. :watching:
Just east of Marfa... headed toward alpine along US 90 there is a pretty Chi -Chi observation building. Back in the olden days... we just pull off the road and looked south. I've seen em... but I have to say, the last Harry Potter film was much better.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

The hill country is always nice during spring break. Flowers,BBq...I never get tired of the country roads there.But US385, I do realize that you need to get away from there also. Ft Davis sounds good, as does Balmorhea.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

March is still a bit early for wildflowers in the hill country, it's usually closer to Easter.

If I had my vote, I'd choose Fort Davis. It;s just nicer there.

Then there is the question: do we stay right in town, do we get a cabin at the Crow's Nest or do we get rooms at the Indian Lodge out at the state park. A bit expensive, but that would leave room for the campers to be close by in the camp ground there. Then of course, there is a very nice campground at the Crow's Nest too...

t

1 - 20 of 286 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.