Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Call the DMV, they give you all the details, there is a form they have for this kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

When I put together my trailer, I told them it was home made and if it's under 4K pounds, it falls under a different category. I had no problem at all get it titled that way. I even showed them a picture of it to show it was a small trailer.

Does the trailer have a VIN on it?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

not sure about if it has a vin #. haven't went to look at it yet. they're spanish and i don't speak that language:D

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
how do you title a trailer you built yourself from junkyard parts?
Tell them it's home made. In Mexico, who the heck knows who's palm you gotta grease...

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I dont have a title for any of the five trailers I own. You do not need a title to get tags either. Simple tell them what Silicon Sam said. The lighter the trailer capacity the
lower priced the.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

here is the listing if anyone interested http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1315764422.html

i'm not willing to gamble on this. i've done homemade trailer before with no problems. dps looks at it etc. but this one has some type of tag on it, not plate.

so this 1 would not be homemade, i do not believe.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

That plate on it, like the Harbor Freight trailer kits, will have a number that Texas DMV will use as a VIN number. Get a bill of sale from the seller and DMV will accept that along with a number off the plate to title and tag it.

DMV will also make up a VIN number for a home made trailer you have to stamp into the frame where it can be seen in order to title and tag a home made one.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

AFAIK, you do not need to title a small trailer in Texas. It needs a certificate of originality to initially register it. When you sell it, usually showing the last two certificatates of registration and a notarized bill of sale will suffice.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

hlothery wrote:
AFAIK, you do not need to title a small trailer in Texas. It needs a certificate of originality to initially register it. When you sell it, usually showing the last two certificatates of registration and a notarized bill of sale will suffice.
they dont have registration either........or i would buy it

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Mark, home-built trailers don't require a title in Texas, they won't even issue you one at the DMV. If it has a decal or plate with a serial number or vin, that is all you need to register. If it is a small trailer, they license by weight capacity, so the smaller the capacity, the cheaper the license for it. (Which is not cheap in Texas) What they need to know, is the size of the trailer, WxL, and maximum expected weight, and a number, (you can use your ssan if you want, although I wouldn't. You can make one up.):)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Best bet is to call DPS office and find out exactly what you are going to need to get it tagged......You can also call the county Tax Assessors office in Conroe, Montgomery county... They maybe able to help you too. besides that's where you are going to get the tags from any how.....

Claude......

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Mark

Go down to the tax office in New Caney at the court house annex and talk to them. Both of my trailers cost about 40 bucks each. All I needed was the number on the tag and they took care of it when I built up my utility trailer from a kit I got at Tractor Supply. If it didn't have the tag you could get it registered as homebuilt but the Sherrif's department would have to inspect it before you could register it.

With the number they might be able to search and see if it has ever been registered...

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

In Texas just go to the courthouse and tell them you have a small homemade trailer and it has a capacity of 500 lbs, they will issue you a tag for around $40. It doesn't matter if it is homemade or factory made it still cost the same. If it is factory Take the serial numbers with you if you want them to show on the registration.

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

How much they wanting for that trailer anyways?

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

In Montgomery county you WILL have to have it inspected by the Sheriif's department if you classify it as a homebuilt. I know this first hand from Sheriif's officers ......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.