Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the near future we will be traveling thru these fine states. Could the locals or the knowledgeable ones advise what to visit, what roads are great, cities to see/avoid and anything else that would help us with this trip. Thank yous

·
Administrator
22,182 Posts
It is odd you haven't been inundated with ideas.

For AZ, I'd say catch 191 north, then 60 to 260 west. At Payson head north on 87 and then take "3" through Happy Jack to Flagstaff.

From there up to the North Rim, then, before you leave the state, Pipe Spring National Monument is well worth an hour or two.

With that route, you get to travel one of the best roads on the planet, (US 191) see one of the seven natural wonders (Grand Canyon) and get a glimpse of Mormon life as it was 150 years ago.

New Mexico has Carlsbad Caverns and lots of historical (range war) sites. Oh, and Roswell, of course.

Texas has roads that lead out of Texas.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
We need to know what you plan to do when there. Ride through and sight see or stop and visit different places. Almost any where in Arizona is good riding. If you have time when in New Mexico visit Carlsbad Caverns. Riding through south central New Mexico is beautiful. Northern New Mexico is like riding Colorado. When in Texas ride through the Texas hill country. The Twisted Sisters is a world famous motorcycle riding road. Also the area has some of the best BBQ you'll ever eat. http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/555/Texas/The-Three-Sisters-(AKA-The-Twisted-Sisters)--Ranch-Roads-335-336337a.html#sthash.O8CbtZ2P.dpbs The area is west of San Antonio and Austin. (Caution) The I-35 corridor between San Antonio and Dallas is one of the most congested in the US. Not fun. San Antonio has the River Walk (fine Tex Mex dining) and remember the Alamo. There is so much more but I'm out of time at the moment. Good riding.

In the near future you might need a cooling vest. The temps (will) be near or way above 100º

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't know when you plan on doing this as it is VERY HOT right now, but I agree with Dennis on anything up on the rim. I also like taking AZ-87 all the way up to Winslow, AZ.

·
Administrator
58,732 Posts
Don't know when you plan on doing this as it is VERY HOT right now, but I agree with Dennis on anything up on the rim. I also like taking AZ-87 all the way up to Winslow, AZ.

when I lived in Mesa, AZ and needed to go back east, I went up to Payson and then east on 260 then up 277/377 to Holbrook. the latter part of that ride is grasslands and not much to see, but Winslow is just to far out of the way/West for me to do anything else.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Come through Fort Worth and stroll through Old Cowtown,get a touch of the past,go to Texas Motor Speedway and Do a tour of the track for 10 bucks,a 2 hour tour.

·
Administrator
58,732 Posts
I would like to make another Out West excursion and visit all of my favorite places, but it would require about a full year of temperate conditions ( 70-85 degrees all the time )

and now that I am in Oklahoma, there is just about a 1,000 miles of nothing to see between here and there.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
But but but isn't it just enjoyable just to BE RIDING to get to interesting places,like Rushmore,nothing else close and after you get there,in a few minuites your ready to hit the wind.

·
Administrator
22,182 Posts
I think you're missing a lot, Texas. To the South is Carhenge, a couple of caves and the mammoth site. To the east is the Badlands. There's Deadwood to the north and to the west you'll find Devils Tower and Little Bighorn Battlefield. And that's off the top of my head.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts