Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yeah your right,and Glacier Park,Jackson Hole,Cody, but I would have a Great ride from Texas ( a days ride just to get out)then I would have a stop at Palo Duro canyon,Royal Gorge,Pikes peak,Cheyenne.Guess I need a vacation.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
About a month from now Ill be riding thru Texas towards New Mexico. I try to plan the roads a bit more to my liking and cover spots that im really interested in. Is there such a computer road planner that lets me drag the mouse and highlight the desired road?
Also If anyone is inclined to join us for the road you are more then welcome. The final destination west will be albuquerque NM for the ballon festival. Come one, come all
( yep I really put my hopes high) What you say Dennis , meet me there? Just 500 miles for you

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
hate to say it, but the Harley Davidson trip planner is among the best there is.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/owners/plan-your-ride/hd-ride-planner-overview.html

there are others, but this one seems to me, to be a bit more intuitive to the way i like to do things.

otherwise, I just use Google maps, and create way points.... then when I have all of those way points defined, I just enter them singly, one at a time into my GPS.

once that is done, all you need do is open up RECENT and pick the furtherest waypoint down the list, and the GPS will be forced to go where you want it to go....

then as I get within 10-20 miles of waypoint #1, I select waypoint #2 and tell it "new route" and abandon #1....

why? because this way, you don't get trapped into following #1 down into the middle of town, switching to #2 causes the GPS to route you through #1 by the most expeditious route...

I did that all the way from Florida to home in Arizona, and again the last two years to/from the NASR rally events.

I like using a GPS, if an accident or stoppage occurs, I just hit DETOUR and give it how many miles I think I need to detour... works like a charm.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
forgot to mention, it exports into your GPS easier than the other guys' planners.

here is what it looks like by just entering Eureka Springs, AR and my home Oologah, OK and not telling it anything else.

as it happens, this is exactly what I had planned to do,
but it is easy to add way points with this app.

there is a much more "direct route", but due to all of the twists and turns, it is only 6 miles shorter than this one. Plus, this route is two hours faster than the "direct route".

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,198 Posts
About a month from now Ill be riding thru Texas towards New Mexico. I try to plan the roads a bit more to my liking and cover spots that im really interested in. Is there such a computer road planner that lets me drag the mouse and highlight the desired road?
Also If anyone is inclined to join us for the road you are more then welcome. The final destination west will be albuquerque NM for the ballon festival. Come one, come all
( yep I really put my hopes high) What you say Dennis , meet me there? Just 500 miles for you
I don't know, I spent all my travel money to see the eclipse. Really should have taken the car for that.

In Google maps you can get directions to a location and then alter it by simply pulling the route they suggest to the road you prefer to use. Don't know if that's what you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
hate to say it, but the Harley Davidson trip planner is among the best there is.
Hey, if its better it is better , no matter what brand.

In the way back from Kentucky to NJ I used way points by city center. The dumb GPS took me to city center then back to the road I enter the city from. I learned thats the wrong way so now I choose as a via point a place passed the city

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The programs help but neither is easy to make it do what I want.. Id like to see the map, highlight the road I want to ride with the mouse and save it and get written direction for it. I guess real paper maps are for that.

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Hey, if its better it is better , no matter what brand.

In the way back from Kentucky to NJ I used way points by city center. The dumb GPS took me to city center then back to the road I enter the city from. I learned thats the wrong way so now I choose as a via point a place passed the city

that is why I said that when I get about 10 or 20 miles from the Waypoint City, I go find the next way point, select that, and tell it "New Route", which will erase the first waypoint and avoid that "City Center" mess...

I don't like to depend on a city center waypoint for anything other than a route over a short segment, short enough that it prevents the GPS from trying to take me on I-40 when what I really want is a county road trip I have in mind... my GPS insists on trying to Recalculate, make a U-turn for about 50 miles past where I refused to follow its' route.

Back before I let my GPS "update", or more accurate, Destroy itself, it would forget the first route, and Recalculate and accept the new route that I am heading down on "now"....

I still intend to have a heart to heart talk with the Garmin folks and tell them that I won't buy anymore of the crap if they don't fix the damn algorhythim.....

Just this weekend, I am about 8 miles from Eureka Springs on hwy 62, and all of a sudden the damn GPS pops up and says make a left turn at Hwy 187 which goes around the north side of lake Leatherwood. what a stupid choice to make for "best time"

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This thread is back to life. Were going to depart towards Arizona towards end of May.
I looked back and I see the roads recommended ( twisted sisters in TX are not worth detouring for) I Will also look up motorcycleroads.com .
Is Tucson or Phoenix worth seeing? How about Flagstaff?
Where is a good place or two to spend like 3 days for rest?
TY

·
Administrator
58,762 Posts
Tucson has the Wild West town near there, the town itself is nice..

Phoenix is just a huge metroplex of about 25 suburbs all around it. You can't tell where one ends and the other one starts.... if there is a ball game, they have the big dome, don't know who has the advertising rights to that this year. it used to be a bank at one time.

My old place of employment is right in the middle of downtown, 11th Street and Jackson to Madison
The Phx Fire Department takes up a whole block there with the HQ, Dispatch, and warehouse and maintenance buildings.

Scottsdale is over rated IMO, just a lot of big buck money people live there, food is over priced.
Yuma is old folks town in the winter, empty as ghost in summer.

lots of good roads in Arizona but the middle of the state is hot and desert.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
In less than 10 days will be back on the road . This time the name of the thread is going to be valid. We still intend to go through Utah through Colorado then east thru Kansas and end up in New Jersey. This is the map we intend to follow in AZ. Maybe Dennis will come along for a ride to show us around. We plan to stay in Flagstaff a few days.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
22,198 Posts
Pavement runs 10 miles or so from the start of 288, then ends. Young is paved maybe a couple miles on each end of town, then 512 turns to dirt and stays that way up to 260.

The better route, by far, is 188 to 87 to 3 into Flag. Good roads & nice scenery.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Pavement runs 10 miles or so from the start of 288, then ends. Young is paved maybe a couple miles on each end of town, then 512 turns to dirt and stays that way up to 260.

The better route, by far, is 188 to 87 to 3 into Flag. Good roads & nice scenery.
Do what Dennis suggested or practice righting the wing,took that route before ( once) picked up the wing a couple times but that was 30 years back

21 - 39 of 39 Posts