Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to plan a trip to see the 3 sisters in texas this spring and was looking for information such as best time ( early, Mid, or late spring), what to expect for weather in Tx at that time.
I would like to stay in Austin or SanAntonio and then do day rides.I also would like to know some of the sights to see or historical places besides the Alamo to see and of course I would like to know of unique or different places to eat. And if anybody is up for some riding. I will be riding with my Aunt & uncle and it is a hard 2 days(super slab) ride 1 way from here in Indy, so we could have 3-4 day rides in the area

Thanks

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Howdy from San Marcos, Texas... ('bout halfway between Austin and San Antonio.)

I'm your huckleberry!

What dates are you looking at... anything in particular you'd like to see... do?

Travis

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the first or second week in april (open). we are just trying to find an area to stay and to get more of a feel of the things available to do when not doing day rides with good food and good people. we like the path less traveled but if it is fun we have no problem getting in line.
From what I have found so far is that it is some what off season in april because the winter Texans have headed home and the hill country is where the scenic roads are, but I do not know some of the (famous, fun, exciting) places to see, hear, and taste. So if you could help with some insight, we would be thankful and buy the first beverage unless it is a real Texas size beverage :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is up with the post time it is 12:59 pm on 1/27/13 no w

Thanks Jack White

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
what is up with the post time it is 12:59 pm on 1/27/13 no w

Thanks Jack White

No problem. As much as I hate to admit it on a public forum, ole Travis (us385south) or as he called himself "your huckleberry" is a pretty good ole Joe!!:ROFL::ROFL:

Just don't let him put any bad mojo on your bike. If that statement intrigues you, ask ole huckleberry:ROFL::ROFL:.

Hope you enjoy your trip and get to meet up with T.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
As for suggestions:

I would try to stay away from the metro areas as far as lodging... generally speaking New Braunfels, which is 11 miles south of me is a pretty good choice. Rooms are plentiful and most everything you would want to see would be within a pretty easy ride. The fabulous Texas hill country is to the west... good riding there! San Antonio, the San Antonio River Walk the missions trails and The Alamo south Texas, San Marcos, live music and Austin north.

Of course there is Schlitterbahn(the worlds largest water park) right there in New Braunfels... River Road Icehoiuse has excellent live music... barbecue places to knock your socks off... and Mexican food and margritas aplenty! German culture abounds and the oldest dance hall in Texas is right there in Gruene. Gruene Hall (Pronounce GREEN)

This is only a small scratch...

T

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
us385South gave good advice on staying away from the metro areas. I have bro-in-law
in Bastrop (sw of Austin) Personally, Fredricksburg, San Marcos or New Braunfels is way better. We generally stay off of I35 south of Dallas/Fort Worth as its pretty much a rolling parking lot all the way to Austin, Preferring an alternate parallel route west of that super slab.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I saw this post and had to comment. We are heading down to Fredericksburg in May (24-27) we are planning on riding the 3 sisters as well. If anyone happens to be down there in the same time frame.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Weel Travis looks like ya might have some visitors coming your way...I have rode all three of the twisted sisters, gotten off the bike, went swimming in some of the prettiest, clearest and neighbor the Coldest water in 100 degree weather!!!...Kerrville, good places to stay, and eat...Fredersburg, stop at the War Museum, worth it especially when they are having the "shows"...Too many things to see, but Ya gotta go to "Enchanted Rock State park, walk to the top, if I can do it a 60 yrs old so can you..A great view!!!.

But here's my suggestion to Anyone wanting to either come to Texas or living here and want some good information..Go to this Texas State web site order your FREE TEXAS TOUR GUIDES...Yup FREE!!!...I get one might hear every year..Won't go riding in any area unless I have my map, my guide,
http://www.traveltex.com/plan-your-trip/travel-guide/order-travel-guide

Enjoy it...

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the Great suggestions. now I can blow up the Internet with searches
If you find Google to be slow, you will know why :ROFL:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I have to say that "The Sisters" are a mighty fine ride... and on any given day I'd say they rate much better than a stick in the eye.

But... (with me there is always a but...) For a local they are trite and some what over ridden... However the hill country abounds with excellent day rides.

I will be glad to direct you to hidden jewels most riders don't know... AND... if I have the time available, will come ride with you...

From here in San Marcos... or maybe New Braunfels... the entire hill country opens west of here. If you really wanted to get jiggy with it... you could shoot for staying in Fredricksburg or Kerrville...(close to the sisters) both are even BETTER options if your goal is to ride rather than do the 'urban touristy" thing. Stay away for SA and Austin. See Luckenbach, F'burg, Enchanted Rock... Llano!

This is my backyard... I know it well.

T

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I have to say that "The Sisters" are a mighty fine ride... and on any given day I'd say they rate much better than a stick in the eye.

But... (with me there is always a but...) For a local they are trite and some what over ridden... However the hill country abounds with excellent day rides.

I will be glad to direct you to hidden jewels most riders don't know... AND... if I have the time available, will come ride with you...

From here in San Marcos... or maybe New Braunfels... the entire hill country opens west of here. If you really wanted to get jiggy with it... you could shoot for staying in Fredricksburg or Kerrville...(close to the sisters) both are even BETTER options if your goal is to ride rather than do the 'urban touristy" thing. Stay away for SA and Austin. See Luckenbach, F'burg, Enchanted Rock... Llano!

This is my backyard... I know it well.

T
ol 385 South is giving you some good sound advice. As the worlds foremost tourist, I can't tell you to stay away from tourists traps because that's what roaming and wandering is all about. While you are doing the Three Sisters you will automatically have a burger at the Bent Rim, 'cause you are already there in Leaky (pronounced lakey). A great greasy burger can be had at the Alamo Springs Cafe, but you have to hunt for it, you can't find it by accident. If you are going to spend any time in San Antonio, you may want to visit Lulu's to see if you can eat a three pound cinnimon roll. FM 473 from US 281 going west is just plain purty! If you are here when the Bluebonnets are coming out you may want to hit the Willow City Loop north of Fredericksburg. You can check out Enchanted Rock while you are in the neighborhood. Bottom line; ride! You can't go wrong in the Texas hill country. It's all good. And remember, I'm not lost, I'm a tourist.

Chief

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
Chapter O with the GWRRA out of Austin is having a campout rally in Fredricksburg April 12-14. I'll be there the 12th with Chapter P out of Granbury and we plan on riding the three sisters the 13th.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Chapter O with the GWRRA out of Austin is having a campout rally in Fredricksburg April 12-14. I'll be there the 12th with Chapter P out of Granbury and we plan on riding the three sisters the 13th.
There ya go... it just doesn't get any sweeter than that. Camping in Fredericksburg AND a "Sisters" run. Makes me wanna show up.

T

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well so far the only thing we have written in stone is that we will be leaving early 4-15-13 and plan on being home late 4-25-13 and it should be a 2 day ride each way, so we should be in the area 4-17-13 to 4-23-13
Thanks again for the info and the links

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
If your passin through the Dallas/Fort Worth area give me a call, maybe be able to ride some with you.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If your passin through the Dallas/Fort Worth area give me a call, maybe be able to ride some with you.
will do.
we still need to have gathering of minds to figure routes,must see, wanna see, must do,wanna do and things like that. when we do and it gets closer in time then it will be easier to predict the where and whens in the time frame

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
If ya need a bed for the night, I have a spare room. But to let you know I do own two dogs in case you have allergies.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.