Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I’m tooling down a 4 lane highway going home tonight and all of a sudden I feel the rear of my bike vibrating and bouncing. I figure maybe I ran over something and the tire is going flat. So I pulled over thinking I’ll fix it, pump it up and be on my way. The tire wasn’t flat. In fact just the opposite. I found that the tire had a bubble in the tread about the size of my fist going from the left side of the tread to the center.:realshocked:

I babied the bike home and parked it. Less then 4K on the tire and its crap! :cussing:

I’m going back to Dunlap! I’m half tempted to go to the “Darkside”.:cool:

Dane :15magenta:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

That was one of the biggest factors in my decision when I made it.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I had a front Metzler do the same thing. The dealership replaced it. But I have never bought another set of Metzlers.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Worth a try :?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

"The force will be with YOU" Come to the darkside......:smiler:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Come to the Dark Side... we have cookies!

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

That sucks :sadguy:.....never owned a Metzeler myself.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
imported post

My Metzler that I had on the back of my Venture losta chunk of tread layer about the size of a fist....not sure I'd buy another.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

A picture is worth a thousand words…so….

A heck of a thing to happen while tooling down the highway!

Dane :15magenta:

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

I had had a couple of sets of Metz's on my VTX with no problems. I have since gone to the darkside and not looked back. I love the traction with it.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well regardless to say whos to blame metzler on this issue there are about a billion and a half things that could have caused this

did you buy a warranty with the tire did they offer it have you called metzler and explained the situation?

many things can be done to correct this if you report the tire they may have found out they had a few defect tires leave the plant i deal with tires all day long ive seen blisters like this on almost every brand of tire there is.

all tires meet a specification across the board yes some go the extra mile but for the most part they all meet the standard specs for the tire in question.

so maybe you should call metzler being you barley have any miles on it and maybe if you keep your cool they may go as far as to reimburse you for another tire?

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

I agree, contact Metzeller about it. They may hassle you some but I would demand a refund, not another tire. There have been several instances on this board about the same problem.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I've heard about the problems with Metzler tires for years, and have seen 2 that had blown out, but that had to be a bumpy ride! That is probably the only major brand of MC tires that I have not tried at one time or another, because I've heard and seen so much on them. I've had good luck with the Bridgestones and Dunflops (had one Flop exchanged because of premature weather cracking) and Avons and Michliens are good for me. Have not ran any Chinese or Korean tires on any of my bikes either, but there is a point that cheap is related to quality sometimes.:shock:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

That's a bit scary, especially at highway speeds. I only buy Metzeler 880s for our 3 bikes. I like the way they handle and their longevity. I've never had a problem with any of their tires. I have to admit that I would look at other brands if something like this happened to me. Give them a call to see what they say about it. It worth a phone call or email.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Metzler mumps? The cost / refund for a new tire is nothing compared to the medical bills if the failure caused a crash.

This is a life safety issue and should be treated as such. Hard statistics should be available to see how bad the situation is. If Metzler is out of line they should suspend production until they fix the problem. Lives are at stake.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
Come to the Dark Side... we have cookies!

Where's da coookieeess? :action:
I just went Darkside.

I have had two premature tire failures me880s on my 1100. A friend just had one on his. No more Metz for me.
On my 1500, E3s are cupped badly @10,000.
I'm headed on a 1 1/2 months ride this week dbl darkside. Going tomorrow to get the front. Rear is mounted.
I want coookieeess!

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i had a metzer tire come apart on me several years ago, the last one i ever owned. there is no excuse for this except poor quality. tires have been made for a hundred years they know how to do it right. millions of car tires are used every day with very little problems. there is no good reason for a motorcyle tire not to be reliable. these tires are unsafe and should be talen off the market. :lash: walkabout

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.