Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Biker rallies to hit the brakes
Myrtle Beach launches campaign to publicize new rules targeting motorcyclists.
By Lorena Anderson
(Myrtle Beach) Sun News
Posted: Saturday, Jan. 17, 2009

The days of motorcycle rallies in Myrtle Beach appear to be over with the city's adoption of new rules aimed at curbing the events. FILE PHOTO

MYRTLE BEACH The city of Myrtle Beach and the chamber of commerce have launched Web and print information letting visitors know that from the city's perspective, the May motorcycle rallies are over.

Myrtle beach biker info.com launched last week, and brochures are available for distribution primarily through local hotels.

The top of the Web site says: “Effective 2009, Myrtle Beach, SC will no longer host motorcycle rallies.”

“We have new laws, and we'd rather not surprise visitors,” city spokesman Mark Kruea said. “We'd rather they have some idea of what to expect when they come here.”

People who haven't followed the bike-rally news since fall might not know the city has implemented stricter noise and muffler rules, a local helmet law, rules about parties in parking lots, a juvenile curfew and more.

The Harley-Davidson and Atlantic Beach Bikefest have drawn nearly half-a-million visitors over about three weeks in May to the Grand Strand.

Locals complain loudly each year about the rally attendees' noise, driving, activities and trash. And in 2008, a Coastal Carolina University student was shot to death in a dispute over a parking space during Bikefest. Even though the shooting didn't involve bikers, the city said it would take steps to end the rallies.

The Web site bears a message from Mayor John Rhodes, a list of the 15 ordinances and amendments the city approved last fall to target the two May motorcycle rallies it says have grown too large and too difficult to control, and a section of questions and answers.

For example, one of the questions in the frequently asked questions section is:

“The rallies bring a lot of revenue to the city and its businesses. Does the City Council realize how much money it stands to lose?”

The city answers: “Yes, the City Council is aware of the economic impact of the motorcycle rallies, but the rallies also cost the community, and more than just money. … Residents were no longer willing to give up the month of May.”

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it's safe for Goldwingers now. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

not sure how they are going to police HDs as there pipes are loud in stock form. Think all bike rallies should be in harmony with thier surrounding and steps taken to minimise the impact on the community.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

derekhendry wrote:
not sure how they are going to police HDs as there pipes are loud in stock form. Think all bike rallies should be in harmony with thier surrounding and steps taken to minimise the impact on the community.
Louder than wings yes, but not unduly annoying, it is as usual the few, or many in the Hog world to make them noisier in order to supposedly garner attention and piss people off as they have done in Myrtle Beach.
So be it. Like the above post says, the Wings will no doubt be acceptable.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

I thought HD's were stock as normal and all loud pipes are non-stock HD. I was told that the dealers will modify your bike but not take accountability and the sale was a quieter pipe. Was I mis-informed.:shock: Myrtle can be nice for Wingers:cool::action::cool:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There is a 2006 Harley Fat Bob in my garage right now. Needs a new drive belt, I told the club member he can use my lift and tools tomorrow . It is just almost as quiet as my 1800. Not loud at all. Just an even rumble. Not at all loud.

Last weekend was on a ride with 11 riders to the coast, half of them run stock Harleys. All are quiet.

Now aftermarket drag pipes will cause you to jump under something and try to dig a foxhole.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Its a shame. I always enjoyed the Spring Rally at Myrtle.:(

I bet bars like "SuckBangBlow", "The Doghouse", and "The Iron Spoke" have something to say, since they make 75% of their money that week.

Hotels and regular restaurants will probably be OK, but not those places.

But maybe a chance for a Goldwing rally, for sure!:action:

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

“Effective 2009, Myrtle Beach, SC will no longer host motorcycle rallies
I havent read the (offical) letter yet, But if this is what it said, I dont think it's ok for wing's either.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
There is a 2006 Harley Fat Bob in my garage right now. Needs a new drive belt,

Kit

When you said you had gone to the "dark side to never return",

you really meant it... :cheeky1:

:waving:I just couldn't pass that up!!!

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

The Big Dog wrote:
“Effective 2009, Myrtle Beach, SC will no longer host motorcycle rallies
I havent read the (offical) letter yet, But if this is what it said, I dont think it's ok for wing's either.
They are stopping that rally by using the "loud pipe" and "helmet" laws. They can't stop a group from coming into town on a certain weekend. They are just letting it be known that the HOG's better stay away or pay the fines.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

The former mayor of Myrtle Beach said that the 'present' mayor is against motorcycles in 'HIS' city...the former mayor also said that he (former) is trying to get petitions signed to reverse the ordinances passed, but says that it is probably a 'useless cause'. :(

The ordinances only cover inside the city limits of Myrtle Beach...not Horry County...therefore the other beaches are 'open game'...at this time. :cool:

The following link will takeanyone interestedto a FAQ on the subject:

http://myrtlebeachbikerinfo.com/faq.html

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:
There is a 2006 Harley Fat Bob in my garage right now. Needs a new drive belt,

Kit

When you said you had gone to the "dark side to never return",

you really meant it... :cheeky1:

:waving:I just couldn't pass that up!!!
:action:Have never left the dark side. Now that a new springer can be purchased with ABS brakes, soon as a good used one shows up, at a good price, I will have one.

Nothing beats a Thumper for a day ride on the back roads. All you gotta do is take an extra quart of oil with you. :action::action::waving::cheeky1::cheeky1: Kit

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Noise level of no more than 89 decibels at idle.?...that and the helmet law will eliminate 90% of the Harleys.

Horry County is going to make up the lost revenue in tickets and fines.

Gonna be alot of PO'd posers!!:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Horry County will definately notice the difference in lost revenue. Mabye it will even have to lay off some of it's city workers. What a shame.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

The Rally is not a City sponsered event, never has been, never will be. The Rally is promoted by the Harley Dealers. DO NOT STAY AWAY because of a couple of [email protected]@ole politicans. Horry County still wants our business even if the City Of Myrtle Beach does not. Just make your Hotel reservations outside the city limits!!!

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

My question is on the helmet law "local" is the state a helmet state? and if not how can a city enforce or enact a helmet law that is not a state law? I'm no legal eagle :baffled:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

The party starting an event usually sets the tone. If it's pushed as a family event they willhighlight the safe stuff: enjoy the history, scenery and culture of the area.

If the advertising pushes loud pipes competitions, wet tee shirt events, beer gardens, etc it will attract a different crowd. Just the name of the sponsor can have an effect. Harley, Duff Beer and Bikini World would imply a different attitude than say Granny's Linens and antiques.

Someone promoting the event got a message out and this is the result.

There are many large M/C events that are welcomed by small towns. Port Dover (population 5000) gets over 100,000 bikers in for PD-13 and there are few problems because the way it is set up. I'm sure the town gets money from vendor booth spaces but the businesses do well also. All the local amateur sports clubs sell snacks and fund their teams. Local civic clubs have venues as well.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:
My question is on the helmet law "local" is the state a helmet state? and if not how can a city enforce or enact a helmet law that is not a state law? I'm no legal eagle :baffled:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:
City ordinance can usually make a more restrictive law, in most cases. You see, there is no "no helmet law", just the absence of a law requiring a helmet. Therefore, the local government is not going against a state law, mearly regulating something that they don't.

Bottom line is that Horry county and Myrtle Beach city can make it a PITA for bikers, but they can't stop the rally. They don't really care about the lost revenue, because only a few businesses exclusively depend on bikers (like the biker bars and bike dealers), hotels and restaurants make money all year because its the beach.

Teens/College kids/Families all summer, Canadians all winter.:cooldevil:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.