Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know that this has "been around the block"...I hadn't rode in a week,(weather)but I got to ride yesterday to work and back, a total of 75 miles. On the trip there I didn't notice anything at all unusual, in fact the bike ran great. Coming home was a little different. When I came to a stop in my driveway; with the engine idling; waiting for my wife to open our gate; I could smell gasoline fumes and did so for a few minutes after shut-down. My VTX1300R has done this a time or two, mainly when it is real hot outside. This is the first time I've noticed it on the Wing. I've owned this bike since the first of September. It has a little over 68,000 on it and I have little to none of its maintenance records. The only issues I've had with the bike are some cruise control lights and switches. (still working on that) Is there something I need to be looking for in particular? 1999 GL1500SE.

Norm

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Like Dennis said it might be the petcock valve. Open up your gas fill door and look toward the front of the bike inside the door. There is a black tray under the fuel petcock and if it is or has been leaking you should see some type of evidence of it (wet or fuel stain). Might need a flashlight (torch to our over the pond friends) to see better. If this is not the problem then I would look at the fuel cap. It has a rubber gasket under it that sometimes needs replacing.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Those spring clamp type hose clamps are designed to expand and release vapors when the pressure gets too high. As they age, they get weaker, especially where they get flexed by changing fuel filters, etc.
I had this problem and went to screw band hose clamps at the fuel filter and my fuel smells stopped visiting after rides.
I only did those two because I still want pressure release if needed.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

Depending on fuel level and temperatures you may experience this from 'hot fuel'...The tank sits above the engine and heats up..the fuel inside also heats up and expands..some into vapor...

That raw fuel vapor smell is something that may occur under certains conditions as the smell leaks out under pressure from the tank itself (vented filler cap)

You may notice it when parked and sitting still as the vapors rise and the heat continues to rise as well when the engine heats the fuel tank with no cooler air flowing over it... I have even heard a low boiling going on in the tank when it was really HOT and I parked it...

The other suggestions are important things to look at as I ahve experienced them all (see above responses) over this past year...but with a new fuel pump & gasket, fuel petcock, fuel filterand filler cap gasket I still will experience this once in a great while under optimum conditions...?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I have experienced this on a 94 Aspencade and not on my 95SE and have found it to never be a problem and have never determined the root cause.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Not mentioned here ( and added mostly as a reference) - the Carb Bowl gaskets age and can seep as well.

:congrats:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Filler cap seal and petcock would be high on my list of suspects.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Those spring clamp type hose clamps are designed to expand and release vapors when the pressure gets too high. As they age, they get weaker, especially where they get flexed by changing fuel filters, etc.
I had this problem and went to screw band hose clamps at the fuel filter and my fuel smells stopped visiting after rides.
I only did those two because I still want pressure release if needed.
Those gear clampscured my fumes as well. :grinner: :cooler:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Dusty,

Laying off on the Mexican food cured my fumes as well...

·
751 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Aren't the fifteensfamous for leaking petcock?
+2 back in 07 comming back my pc-1 ride mine did the same thing it was the petcock ! I would also check your hose comming from the petcock !

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

I also had the gas smell, Mine was the petcock. Replaced it AND the clamps on my fuel filter with gear clamps. So far, no more problems.
US385 wrote"Laying off on the Mexican food cured my fumes as well..."
That is something I can't do. I need my mexican food, Is there a "gas" pill that we can give these 1500's?:smiler:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

During the summer i posted that i was smelling gas fumes on my 85 ltd, and when i filled up it would'nt start for around 5-10min. when looking in tank the gas was actually boiling, i was told that it is common as the tank is sittig over the hot engine. i came to the conclusion that the heat in the summer caused the the gas to expand and that the fumes where from presure release and that since i have a large windsheild the fumes would be trapped in the rider compartment, the proublem starting ended when the temperature dropped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.