Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to park the old girl last night, dropped the side stand and let it down, started to stand up off the seat and the bike just started tipping. Slowly enough to catch, but there was no way she could hold herself up. I looked down and my kickstand is flaired way out. Looks like some welds gave way. I'll have to pull it and try to weld it up, but how do I know what angle to set it back too?

I should mention I've had a gut feeling for months now that it leaned further on the side stand than it should, but every time I checked it it "seemed" ok.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
More likely it is the piece of frame the stand bolts to has corroded away. That part can be unbolted and replaced.

·
Registered
225 Posts
More likely it is the piece of frame the stand bolts to has corroded away. That part can be unbolted and replaced.
When I got my 83 GL1100 parts bike, this part was in this exact condition.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
I agree with Norman, just replace that bolt on section of frame. Chances are if it rotted and gave out, you might not have any metal left to weld it.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check it, but rust is one thing I don't have on this bike.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
note to self: bike looked like it was leaning more than usual

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bolt broke on my side stand.
Well now that another semester is done and Christmas is over, I've finally had a chance to get out and look at it. Yes, it's been parked (on the center stand of course) since I made the original post. Anyway, got out there and started disassembly to get the support out and take a look at the mount. But about half way through I noticed the bolt looked bent or something. I pulled the stand off and it was a bit worse...

So that's clearly why it was sinking :readit:. I checked Western Honda and they don't have it... of course. So where do I get a new bolt fellas?

·
It aint rocket science
3,814 Posts
Be careful and not do too good of a job fixing as it will then want to tip over in the other direction.:D

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need a new stand too. I don't think you can bend that one back into shape.
Bob's probably has one. Take your old one to match up the length.
I was afraid someone was gonna say that :sadguy: I was really hoping to just throw it in a vice and bolt it up. I hate dealing with bobs. You can't call because they won't answer and even if you go down there it's 15-20 minutes of picking your nose before someone at the counter finally gets to you only to tell you your half hour drive was for nothing.

You're probably right of course, it would be better to have a "new" one. I just want my bike back :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
The side stand is forged, if you can find a torch to heat it so it is malleable you should be able to straighten it.
If you cant find a bolt from Honda, Last one I checked was about $8.00, you could drill or ream it and the threaded section out to take a 1/2" bolt and nylock nut, that should work fine.

Another one of those things to check on a monthly check over

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
bolt,sidestand 85

cheapcycleparts lists the bolt for $5.25 part # 90108-MG9-680

western honda says "call for price"

considering the trouble i had years ago fixing mine,a new bolt is just easier to get then finding a suitable replacement

make sure the hole that the bolt goes thru on the frame hasn't elongated,which was probably the cause of part of the problem,had to close mine with a weld and resize

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Mine looked exactly like that.
My local dealer said the same as WesternHonda, NLA.
I did find a used bolt locally but wonder if the one from a later GL1500 would fit as the only difference appears to be the taped 6mm hole for the switch.

To straighten the stand I just put band iron in the clevis slot and used a BFH as I didn't want to heat it and take out any tempering that it might have.

BTW I think I broke mine in a parking lot, stand down over a speed bump.
The jar near to took my teeth out.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I had the same problem on my '85. Unfortunately, the side stand is no longer available. The bolt is. Mine bent the same way. I clamped it in a vise and pulled it back together. Just keep test fitting it on the mount.
The number for the bolt is 90108-MG9-680 SCREW, SIDE STAND
You'll also need the lock nut. 90203-MJ4-000 NUT, SIDE STAND
You may be able to find a side stand on Ebay or maybe an after market one.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well, you're probably going to have to modify something for that. It looks like a 10mm shank turned down to 8mm X 1.25 for the thread.

Here's what I'd do:
Get a 10mm bolt (and nut) with a shank length extremely close to what you have. (O/A Length can be altered.)
Heat and bend the sidestand back to snug on the frame tab.
Drill and tap the sidestand for the new bolt.
Alter the length to just allow the nut to fit on the bolt when installed. Check the spring, though. It may be that the nut needs to be halved, to allow for movement. I have not a 1200, so cannot look-see for sure.
Install the sidestand, tighten the bolt so that the sidestand is just free to move, then tighten the nut on the bolt, checking for free movement of the stand. You may need to loosen the bolt a bit.
Blue Locktite® may be used, if you wish a secure nut. Alternatively, monofilament fishing line can be threaded through the nut before install, to achieve the same thing.

But, that's just what I'd do. And I modify everything that I own, so that may not be your thing.

Cosmo

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
I got a bolt and spring chrome plated from chrome crazy it was 6 bucks, can not remember the after market brand.
Post the link for him.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.