Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Folks
Well I got the carbs rebuilt and checked the mixture with a colortune and all seems well, checked the sync and they were pretty much spot on but there doesnt seem to be much vacuum (1-2 inch Hg) and while it will tick over about 1200 rpm it has a distinct 'knock' which seems to go away when it revs, if you try and take the tickover down it gets decidedly 'lumpy' and dies

Does anyone have any readings from a vacuum gauge?

I am tending to think it may be an air leak but if it is, it's even across all cylinders which is somwhat confusing.

Many thanks for any thoughts

Rob

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I am no mech but in resurrecting my 82 I can tell u 2 things, that knock ur hearing that probably sounds horribly like a main bearing bad, scared me too. Since it goes away at revs it is almost certainly the clutch basket or starter chain that is famous for that noise, the good news it is harmless, just a quirk of this design, and even if u could get the noise out it would be a waste of time and money. Mine at low idle especially when cold and idling slow makes a hell of a knock at times. But point 2, since u are adj. carbs, I know that if spark or carb or compression is uneven, even just a little, that knock is much worse because of the acceleration-deccelaration of the engine during the course of the firing order, so the smoother the idle the less if at all u while notice the rattle. Also 1050 to 1100 idle rpm seems to be quiestest and smoothest idle for every gl I have seen running, 1200rpm can run a little warm on hot days, otherwise probably not an issue.

I bought mine at the it was all I could afford after being layed off but I have come to love this bike and am amazed how many gl1100s are still running around as daily riders here in indianapolis. They are technically advanced for there time but still very well made so they are still able to keep up miles and speed with the lastest touring bikes. good luck, big daddy

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

My 1100 is quite noisy too, but once warmed up it's fairly smooth at it's 1100 idle speed. You may want to do the WD40 trick to find any errant vac leaks.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

chris in va wrote:
My 1100 is quite noisy too, but once warmed up it's fairly smooth at it's 1100 idle speed. You may want to do the WD40 trick to find any errant vac leaks.
Scuse my ignorance but whats the WD40 trick :? ( I've got tins of the stuff)

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

spray wd around all the joints and hook-up of the carbs abd intakes - when the engine perks up - ya found a leak.

then wipe all the wd off and make her pretty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.