Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

So where do I start? I have the bike now and I have the task of starting the rebuild. She does need an new engine that is what is known. Before I put another in, I am going to take the bike apart right down to the frame. So this is where the rubber starts to meet the road.

My questions are as follows. When I take her down to the frame I am going to replace all the parts that I think should be after sitting for nine years. Like the swing arm bearings to start. But what if it just needs some tlc, should I replace it anyway? I guess what I am asking is what should be replaced with new and what should be just cleaned up?

I know that allot of this will depend on what shape it is in, when it is discovered. How long do rubber parts last? I want to replace the brake lines with steel braided, I have to see if I can do this and still keep the collector status.
I guess what I am asking is,if this is a smart way to start the rebuild? Or is there a more organized, methodical way of starting?

Thanks for the info Goldwing Guru's for I have never rebuilt a bike before and I am looking forward to the challenge.

LLF

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

LLF :waving:Hello and Welcome . IT sounds like you have the mechanical prowess to accomplish this . For sure new rubber goods , new brake pads . You question the S/S braided lines and collector status . If your trying to make a 100 point restoration they may not be correct . For a rider bike you will appreciate the S/S lines for better brake feel / pressure . I had my S/S lines built by a hydraulic hose shop . The lines we used had a smoke colored sheath over the S/S and most folks would not notice they arent the normal rubber without a close look .

Be sure to inspect the gas tank as sitting with or without fuel will leave them rusty . As for the swingarm thats the type of thing you just have to inspect and make a decision . Probably they are fine and a clean , lube and adjust will take care of that .

I wish you well on this endeavor . Be sure to take photos along the way for records , for that ....oh my how did this go :?, and to share with us as it goes along .

Come back to ask questions as needed and remember there is also a search function which can take you to many threads for other help . Also you might want to read some at this link ....Randakk's

Best of luck :action:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

There is a forum member here on Vancouver Island with a wing for sale. It is stripped down yet complete except for throttle cables. It was a project that he has no time or room for right now.

It has an engine with new belts, good compression etc but he has not ran the motor, just tested it.

You would need a trailer to get it home, Pic's of the bike show a very nice looking wing with a good looking blue paint scheme.

I think he wants $500 for the bike complete. That would solve your engine problems & you would have loads of spare parts or a second wing for a long term restore project this winter.

His name here is "Ducky"

I can PM you his number if you want to chat with him.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Gentleman thanks for your replies. At this point Hatchetman that sounds like a good idea, althoughI have to see if can come up with the extra cash.

Thanks for the encouragement OWP I have not done this before, but I feel that it is not out of my list of abilities. And yes Chris I think that the GL1100 is a collectors item.

Now I have some questions about this site. Since I was here last has there been some major changes? All of my info is here but has the main site changed it's focus from "Goldwing Forum" to "Goldwing Facts"?

Thanks

LLF

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

It has evolved into the best Goldwng site on the net. Forums and facts.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I would like to post some pics on line but I do not know how to do it.

Is there a page that tells people how to post some pictures on the forum that I can go to and learn the procedure?

Thanks

LLF

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

Who told your engine is bad? There is a procedure to "wake up" engines like yours.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Do a google search for "photo bucket". Use that as your pic host. We have a photo section on this site & you can post a pic in a thread like this one so long as it isnt huge!!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Theheads are off the bike and they have been for a while. I am not sure as to why, becouse from what I can tell, the original owner let it sit for two long, and another guy took the heads off to see why the engine would not turn over. This was left outside in this state and rust has settled in.

So the guy I am getting it off of was sold the bike just for parts. All the rest of the bike is not too bad at all. So my plan at this time was get another engine, install it in the frame and take the seized one all apart to see what is wrong with it. This being done so I can learn about the engine at the same time.

The other school of thought is take the original engine apart, and repair as needed. Such things as rebore the cylinders and put in a larger pistions.

Check the other internals and repair what is needed.I was told this is amore expensive way to do things, but you do have an engine that you know all about, and all the hassles should be gone. I do not have anyone around here that will not charge me an arm and a leg, just to look at the engine after I have it allapart and tell me what is what.

If any one has another Idea please let me know I would appreciate it.

Thanks

LLF

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

LLF look about for a known running engine to get the bike on the road . Nothing wrong with the thought of taking the old one apart for the sake of knowledge . BUT dont get your hopes up sp much about finding oversize pistons and rings . there a bit rare and hard to find. Dont want you to get your hopes up on finding them parts . they are a bit rare and hard to find.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

I talked to another Wing owner earlier today and he said the same thing. Well OWP it looks like you may be right. I have to tell you that bothers me for I Like to learn new things. I was also told that an older bike like an 82 is a waste of time and money. I would be better off saving and getting an older 1500.
It will be better handling and allot easier to get parts.

The whole idea of rebuilding this machine to be better than ever, fills me with joy.

Thanks LLF

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Whether the GL1100 is collectable, is up to you.

With regard to off color stainless brake hoses, I feel that safety is a higher importance than originality.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,828 Posts
imported post

If you start replacing things, "just because", your rebuild will get pricey in a hurry. If any part is within tolerence I would just restore it. Also used engines are much cheaper than to rebuildyour engine. Parts availability is questionable.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Two forum members had a low mileage running 1100 engine that they were asking I think $350.00 US dollars for ??? I don't know if they still have it or not ..Contact Flyone and see if they still have it.....I saw pictures of it and it is a very clean looking engine and would only need the carbs, after they are rebuilt, off of yours to be a get on it and go engine....Good luck with your project ....If you have any more Questions ask them , there is always some one that can point you in the right direction....

Claude...

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

I just finished a "wake up" of a 1980 GL1100, and while the task was not easy, it WAS rewarding. Took a full year, and some real time. But, now the I have a seemingly new classic bike, and I get comments whenever I ride it.

The carbs were the biggest task (Don't walk, RUN to Randaak's site for carb rebuild kits). And, take your time. I tried to rush it, and found out it is not possible. Do yur research, and ask the forum members here for advice. You will be glad you did.

Good luck !!!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Thanks to all of you folks for the answers to my questions. It has come very clear to me that the best way to go at this point is a used engine. That will be done and I will keep the basket case engine for myself to pull apart and lean from later.

I will, as was pointed out to me, restore as much as possible so the restoration does not get to high priced in a hurry. With that said I have to ask a question about the use of steel braided brake lines. I want them as well as a fork brace on my GL, so does anybody know if they where an option or available when this 82 wing was new?

I was told that Continental makes a good tire for this year of Wing. Has anyone else used Continental tires and liked them at all?

Thanks for your time Wing Guru,s

LLF

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

My 78 gl1000 was in the same state, heads off setting on the ground in the frame. I put the heads on and filled the cylinders with diesel fuel and penetrating oil. I left it for a week and then drained it, took a 2x4 and shaved it on the corners to fit in the piston holes. I rapped each piston with a fair blow and with a wrench on the generator bolt got them to slowly start moving back and forth. Kept spraying with penetrating oil until they turned over. I then jumped the starter and kept flushing the holes. I have about 400 miles on the bike and it runs fine and no smoke. You just never know.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

SS Brake lines are one of the finest upgrades I have done to my bike. Very highly recommended along with a complete rebuild of each Caliper and M/C. So right there for kits and lines you are looking at 200-300 probably. The Fuel tank I would remove and take to a radiator repair shop and let them do it. I paid much more than most but 150 was well worth it to have it done professionally and never have to worry about it again. Mine was done with "Red Kote" and the owner of the shop guarantee's it for the rest of my life. (yes he is younger than I am;) ) Some folks don't like powder coating for Concurs restorations but a frame properly done is a beautiful thing. Almost impossible to scratch when building it back up as opposed to paint.

When you get your "new" engine refresh every rubber thing you can get to before installing it.

This is where you start

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.