Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm getting obsessed with improving my riding position. I'm 6"-3" and riding a GL1100 Interstate with all standard pegs and seat.

My issue is that my knees are farther forward than my feet, and I constantly feel as though I am slipping forward off the seat. The Goldwing has a reputation for plush comfort and I want to make some modifications to achieve that.

Would anyone actually recommend floorboards as an improvement?

I suspect that part of the problem with the seat is that it is old and hard, but can I do anything about it except spend lots of $$$ on aftermarket ?

Thanks,
Gilbert

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Look on E bay for a good padded seat for your wing, they're on there alot for cheap!

Floor boards are nice, then you need a "Heel Toe" shifter and they a little hard to find?

actually , the safest way to ride a bike is in the position you're in with your feet almost under your butt! It gives the best control for emergency situations and curves!

Forward controls look cool but are hard on the lower back after a few miles!

At 6' 3 your may need a little higher seat (more padding) to get a couple more inches to stretch your legs plus put your seat all the bacl in the 3rd hole !

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Ever met Art Bell?

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

The seat is the problem, it was never a "plush item," more like riding on a board.

Youre about the right height to let feet touch the pavement, Im too short (5/9) and always had trouble getting both feet down flat on the road.

The seat can be rebuilt, Ive done several of them. Other things to tinker with:

1.) Yes, floor boards, but your knee position wont be any better
2.) Adjust handlebar angles, try rolling them back. If so, be sure to follow the correct procedure for tightening the clamps, its a safety item.
3.) Adjust shifter lever, I always set it a notch down so its easier on the upshift
4.) Forward foot pegs on the crash bars, very comfy for long distance riding
5.) Much of the problem can be absence of a back rest, that plus the seat sloping forward can cause hips to slide forward, lower back to slump and on long rides can be painful.
6.) Try resting your feet on the passenger foot pegs, that may help back position.

Most important, avoid riding more than an hour without a break. More than that can seriously aggrivate lower back problems.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Yes. I've met him !

He lives on the other side of town!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I think floorboards will help. Just the freedom of foot placement makes all the difference in the world.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

G[lbert have you tried adjusting the seat it has 3 settings forward and back also on the highway if riding solo i slide myself back onto passenger seat.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Gilbert,

I replaced my factory seat with a corbin and put on a taller windshield it made a great difference on my 1200. The seat is lower and with the taller shield it is much more comfortable, I am also wanting some floorboards..

Dean

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi Gilbert. The Mickopegs are a better bet. Floorboards will do little to help as your toes will hit the cylinder heads and your knees will still be too far forward.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi Gilbert, I had the same problem, 6'2 with a non standard seat for someone who was 5' nothing, no matter what I tried I couldn't get comfy.

So I took the plunge and bought a shop soiled seat (although you wouldn't know it by looking)off Ebay the seat was made for6'2 to 6'6 riders, I have it positionedall the way forward and finally feels like I'm ridding in an armchair instead of a matchbox.

The seat came from a Guy called Mike Cook at [email protected]and I believe he runs a saddle shop, the seathas Gel padding, a velour top,matching drivers backrest and matching trunkrest cover. He also sent me FREE rain covers, what a nice guy!!

I don't know what the normal price is, but I'm sure they come in all combinations of colours.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks for all your helpful input guys.

I am thinking that I will look for a replacement for the hard, old seat first. I know that the '83 seat is a little longer than the '81 and '82, but can I put a 1200 seat on my 1100?

Also, has anyone had any experience with the various replacement seat covers which are available? Do they give you the chance to re-shape the foam or add a gel pad? Or maybe I should make my own custom seat!

Thanks,
Gilbert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.