Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1200 has been back on the road for a couple of years now. She has about 6,000 miles added to the clock in that time. Since the beginning the left cylinder bank was dripping a little oil on my shoe. I rode her a few times over the winter and it seemed starting to get worse. About a month ago the right side started and it was time to do something about it. I've had a new set of gaskets on the shelf, so Sunday I dove in. It felt good working on the bike again. It had been a while. Attached is a short video of th eprocess. I included a slide show of bikes from the Isle of Vashon 2017.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,571 Posts
I found that those leaks aren't from the valve cover gaskets. The right side is the rear cam seal and the left is the shift shaft seal.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that those leaks aren't from the valve cover gaskets. The right side is the rear cam seal and the left is the shift shaft seal.
You might be right. In this case the valve cover gaskets were clearly leaking. I was careful with the looking at the cam seals. They are OK for now. Add the front main crank seal and the output shaft seal and that covers just about anyplace a 4 cylinder GL can leak from. I've read the front main seal for the 1200 is made unobtainium. That may be what kills off the breed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I tore into mine today as well, Mine was the gasket behind the water pump and oil filter housing. Also replacing the water pump and thermostat. I have a new Shifter seal anyway so going to do like Dennis said im going to change it. Also doing the timing belts while Im in this far, since I have had them all winter with plans to install them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts