Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It has come to the time to replace the stator on my 85 1200 Aspencade. I considered the poor boy repair but decided against it as I would like to keep the girl original. When I order my parts, is there anything in particular that I should be looking for.I have read that I should get a stator that is rated as heavy duty. I have checked various places but not sure if they are the heavy duty ones or not. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where a good place to pick it up from would be. I have dealt with the old Bike barn and have had good luck with them for the parts that i have ordered.
I also know that I will need gaskets but not sure what all esle I should look at. ( I did a search on Stator, information overload.... So many posts and so much info I think I got lost in it) The timing belts were changed a couple of years ago by the PO. (Luckily the bike has a log book that was kept up since it was very first purchased so I have a record of what all has been done to her)
I thank you in advance for your assistance.
Ben
The Handyman

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
imported post

There's also RM stator in Quebec. I didn't have good luck with their Reg / Rec but other have been happy.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

Looks to be the same unit that Bike Bandit is offering, price is about the same. What-ever you buy, be sure to do a static test of the windings before you install. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

Shooter wrote:
Looks to be the same unit that Bike Bandit is offering, price is about the same. What-ever you buy, be sure to do a static test of the windings before you install. :gunhead:
dito that 1.will save you a lot of work.

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Should I be looking at replacing the Reg/Rectifier also when I replace the stator?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

For the non-stator related parts: (very short list)

You need 4 o-rings for the carb gaskets and 4 orings for the exhaust gaskets. You may want to replace the (asbestos?) gaskets where the exhaust joins. Later today I'll pull up some bikebandit images and give you #s.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
imported post

The Handyman wrote:
Should I be looking at replacing the Reg/Rectifier also when I replace the stator?
I wouldn't unless you suspect a problem. They aren't cheap either. To change the R/R you just have to take off the false tank so it's no big deal if it needs doing later.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

nobbie wrote:
The Handyman wrote:
I wouldn't unless you suspect a problem. They aren't cheap either. To change the R/R you just have to take off the false tank so it's no big deal if it needs doing later.
Thank you That was kinda what I was hoping to hear since they run in that $100 range

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I just had my stator rewound for $140CND by one of the local electric motor shops. Mine was working but I have the whole engine apart for rings and bearings so thought I would have it cleaned up. When Pat unwound the old stator he said it just fell apart. He rewound it with a few more windings so I should have a few more amps from it.

James

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Just ordered a stator from RMStator through Ebay. Will be just under $126 CD. Now to get the rest of the stuffs together and then pick a rainy weekend. Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Item #30 is the intake gasket. You need four.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

You need four of item #1. And I like to do two of item #7.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

I have a BNIB regulator/rectifier for an 84 GL1200 for sale if it will work in your bike. $80 plus shipping. Never plugged in at all. I was going to try it before I put in my poorboy conversion.

PM me if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

rgbeard thank you. I looked at them finches, fiches, (them parts picture things) and wasn't sure which ones THANK YOU AGAIN
Conley Thank you I will have to wait till I get things together and check her out. I don't know if there is a test that I can run to check my reg/rec. I will be in touch if mine is "fubor"

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

grab yourself a manual and check that r/r prior to pulling the motor might save you some time and money:action:

also a bad r/r can kill a stator too:shock:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

When I did the test on the stator I was getting low voltage on 1 of the 3 yellow wires.
(runs in me mind 50-60 on 2 of them and about 25 on the third one) It did show a bit of continuity to ground from those wires as well. Not much but some. Going by that I am guessing the stator is toast.

Duuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh
Just dawned on me what you were getting at. If the r/r is hooped as well, it may take out the new stator.
K gotchya
Thank you I would never have thought of it

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

yes any one bad reading and stator is bad, I would check my r/r just for giggles prior to installing new stator just sooooo I knew that it was fine too.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Got another question. When I get things all ready to reassemble, I will need a gasket to go on the stator cover. I have looked on the bikebandit "thingy" and cant find one. Do I have to get a complete gasket set or is a single gasket available? Thank you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.