Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an article on another forum here about the EPA eliminating ethanol free fuel as well as increasing the amount of ethanol in the rest of the supply. It also says that even though the pump is labeled as E10, you may be getting a higher % already.
I don't have access to ethanol free gas within 50 miles, so that doesn't bother me, but increasing the % of ethanol is going to affect my 30 year old Wing. I've also got an old '97 work truck that probably isn't going to like it much.
The article has links to an inexpensive tester as well as a petition to keep low % and ethanol free gas available.
Check it out and see what you think.

·
Administrator
25,572 Posts
I have suspected sometimes getting a larger dose because of otherwise unexplainable drops in mileage on random tanks of fuel. Was hoping maybe the new govt. leadership would consider dropping ethanol altogether.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just as a bit of a side note, a Walmart fuel station (Murphys) in Weatherford Tx. remodeled a few months ago. Let me rephrase that- they leveled it, rebuilt new and reopened. The surprise for me is that on their large sign they advertise regular, ethanol free and diesel. I've never seen ethanol free sold much less advertised at a Walmart. :surprise:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's usually where ethanol free is found, around lakes or marinas for the boats.
Still a little more than 50 miles from me, but I'll let some of the others I run with down there know.

·
Premium Member
3,687 Posts
Don't know why but here in OKC there are many stations that carry real gas. Almost all new stations carry 100% with a dedicated hose. Lots of stations carry 100% only. About $.20 to $.30 more per gal. Personal experience being that I can't tell the difference in performance with either of my bikes.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,235 Posts
The only ethanol free around here is the premium (91 octane) and runs a couple bucks more a gallon.
No thanks.
I do wish the government would keep food out of my fuel.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I have NEVER understood the wisdom of making food into fuel.
if we're going that way, then hell, do it 100% and help us with some tax abatement to convert everything towards that goal.
OR....pour more money into making seriously efficient gas motors
This smacks of Obamas administration reaching out from the grave. -2017, 2018 and beyond? post dated the later half of his last few months?
ugh

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
I have 1 station around my area that I can purchase alcohol free premium. I ran it in my Goldwing and in a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400. My results were no better than the other stations 10% premium. And actually the mileage on both of those bikes was better with 87 octane 10% fuel. Made no since to me but I tried it a couple of different times and rode back and forth to work. So it was same roads and same speed day in and day out. I have no place to buy 100% pure regular 87 octane so don't know what that would do.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,235 Posts
I have 1 station around my area that I can purchase alcohol free premium. I ran it in my Goldwing and in a 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400. My results were no better than the other stations 10% premium. And actually the mileage on both of those bikes was better with 87 octane 10% fuel.
The Goldwing motor is not tuned to take advantage of the extra anti-knock the higher octane provides. Your results are typical.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I have NEVER understood the wisdom of making food into fuel.
if we're going that way, then hell, do it 100% and help us with some tax abatement to convert everything towards that goal.
OR....pour more money into making seriously efficient gas motors
This smacks of Obamas administration reaching out from the grave. -2017, 2018 and beyond? post dated the later half of his last few months?
ugh
owever,

I don't think Senator Charles Grassley is an Obama fan. He would, however, sell his soul to the devil if he could make ethanol the ONLY fuel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.