Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I've finally got the fender buffer where she want sot learn to ride on her own. the only problem she's afraid of the Wings because of their size.

I'm not in a position financially to purchase a fourth bike. Nor do I have the room for another one.

Any suggestions on how to get her over the fear of the Wing? She's ridden thousands of miles behind me on it. How do I get her on the front seat?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

You'll probably hear the same thing from most of us. I would never start someone out on a Wing as their first bike. Way too much machine for a new rider. Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear. Maybe you could trade one of your Wings for a smaller bike for her? I would definitely have her take the MSF course too. It will help her not only gain the skills she needs to be a safe rider, but will also boost her confidence.

John

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks John. I think I just needed to have someone tell me what I already know. I would give the same advice to someone else. The wing just isn't a beginner's ride. I do plan on having her take the MSF course. And one of the courses here provides motorcycles for the trainees.

That will at least get her riding...I'll have to figure out a way to pick her up a more suitable scoot.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

You need to find an older Honda Rebel. Super nice little bikes and seem to run forever. They are very light and easy to handle. Find a small handlebar mounted windshield for it and before you know it she will be riding everywhere on it...;)

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

My wife started on a 250. She now rides a 750 Shadow. She has thousands of miles and is on her 5th bike. She still has no desire to ride the Wing. It is just too big of a bike for her. I know there are a few ladies that ride wings, but mine prefers something a little smaller. Great time of the year to pick up a smaller bike though. I have bought 250's before used them for a year and sold tghem and got my money back. They can be a very good deal.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

She actually wants to ride my 77...she just isn't ready for it yet.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

Trading one of the wings is a tough thing to do but I would think a safer choice for your wife. Within a year or so she will be stepping up to a bigger bike.
My wife is wanting to learn to ride as well. I found a Rebel 250 for $1000, that I know she will outgrow in a year, but I feel more comfortable teaching her to ride on that. She will not consider a scooter or dirt bike. When she is ready to step up my daughters want to learn as well as my son. She is 5'7 and a small light weight bike is more suitable for her.

Kevin E

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
imported post

Four Wings? We're gonna have to change your handle to Dragonfly... Or do they have six Wings? I ferget.

Seriously though, you can only ride one at a time. I know it's your hobby, but a Rebel (especially a 450) is a good bike for one just starting out. And it only takes up a little room...I wouldn't put a beginner on a heavy bike like a wing. My wife is on her third bike, nodesire.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

thats why i keep my 450 nighthawk. its not too big or small. my neice and her 14 yr old brother just learned to ride on it earlier this year. i have taken her on some rides with me. an hour up to port huron on the freeway running 60 to 65 mph. port huron to port sadilac on m25 45 to 60 mph. big enough for a short trip not so small as a rebel and fun when i get on the bike too

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I started on a Suzuki GZ250 also. Great starter bike. I upgraded in 3 months, but I am glad I started on a small bike. The lady I bought it from highly recommended the MSF course too. She moved up to a V-Star 650 for her next bike too.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Broke as some one else said, and your self, take her to that MSF course and sign her up for the classes...If she feels confident enough after that course, then see about trading, selling, or find someone that has a small bike she feels good enough to ride on...I've stated this here before and I seen the error of my ways a long time ago....

My wife decided she wanted to learn to ride, or was it me pushing her??? I bought a very small dirt bike and she rode it with me and our boys a few times..Then I bought her an OR-50 Suzuki, which again I rode more than she did, but I figured it was time to buy her that "Big Bike" and from her employer at that time, I bought her a V-1000 Moto Guzzi....She rode it a couple of times and did well, until it scared the hell out of her..She never rode it again.....I let an "adopted" Uncle of ours take it and work on the carbs that had gummed up from not riding it....He died suddenly and his new wife had her brothers from Mexico come take everything he owned back to Mexico....End of Motto Guzzi and mine and his Harley.......

But the long and short of it was I pushed her into a "Big Bike"way too soon....Let her decide when she's ready and let her pick out something that she feels comfortable on, then as it has been said,let her move up to what ever she wants....

Claude....

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

My wife learned to ride, a long time ago, but I had to sit here on several bikes and let her make that decision. I tried the first time (bought her a bike) she never really liked it. But, as I said when she sat on several different bikes and got the feel of them, she picked one and she was off. She doesn't ride anymore (she will ride the trike if need be) and just enjoys being behind me now.

Actually, I hesitat to say, she is looking at a sportster again. But I'm not pushing it. She is small (4'11") and she can sit on that really comfortably. But.... oh well. Her pick.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Might also look for a 10-year-old Honda 600 Shadow...... small, non-intimidating.....

Put ona windscreen, leather-lyke bags, and you have a super-dooper Shadow scooper that cankeep right up therewith your Wing! Pretty good ladies' bike..... affordable, and easy to sell when she's ready to step up.....

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Thanks John. I think I just needed to have someone tell me what I already know.
Glad to help. :) She will really enjoy the MSF course, assuming she enjoys being in the riders seat. It's a lot of fun. Let us know when she gets started and have her sign up hereso we can encourage her and help her along the way. :)

John

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Go trade one of the goldwings for a starter bike for her. My wife loves her kawasaki Vulcan 800.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.