Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Those of you that have read the 1st. two of the albatross stories ought to get a kick out of this one. After all the trials and tribulations of my 1st. couple of trips on my newly purchased 1994 aspy, my wife and I decided to take an overnight trip and tour glacier nat. park. We left early on july 3, thinking we could make our trip and still be home for the fireworks on the 4th. We made it about 125 miles just taking the glacier park turn off of I-90. Got about 1 mile out of St. Regis montana and the bike dies. I pull off the highway and hit the starter button and it just clicks,,,,,,,,, dead battery. I am thinking the alternator went out. When I pulled off the road it just happened to be in someones driveway. The person that lived there was kind enough to give us a jump, and the bike started right up. He said there was a towing service that sold batteries back in town about a mile back, and he gave us directions. I am thinking to myself in a town that has the entering and leaving st. regis on the same sign post, what are the chances of this towing service having a bat. for the goldwing. Nil..... Well we take off go about 100yds. to another driveway to turn around and the bike dies again. I hit the starter button and it turns over but not starting....so I turn loose of the starter button and it keeps turning over......the solinoind is stuck. I hop off the bike pull the side panel and pull the plug on the solinoid. I pulged it back in and the bike didn't turn over. Wheeeeeew!! There was a tuck driver that lived there where we turned in, he was kind enough to help charge my battery with his semi. He also mentioned the towing service and its shop, and he gave us directions also LOL. So we climbed back on and headed for the towing service. When we got to the towing service I asked the manager how much it would cost to tow my bike back to spokane. He said that he couldn't do it today because all of his trucks were being hooked together to be in the parade. One truck towing 5 other trucks in tow truck daisy chain. Lovely, stuck in St. regis over the 4th. no fireworks, just a parade with a tow truck snake. I thought twice before asking about a battery for the wing,,,,,,,,,not wanting to be laughed at. But I asked and he said maybe I do. I am thinking how cruel to build up my hopes, just to crush them. He went to his book looked up the part and to my suprise and joy he had one. We pulled the old battery and put it on a charger and let it charge while I payed $75 for my new battery. After installing the new bat. I threw the old bat. in the luggage and we headed back to spokane.We made it to the far side of look out pass with the new battery. And after installing the old bat. back in we took off again. We made it to Coeur D Alene on the second one. Still about 25 to 30 miles from home. Couldn't find a full service station to charge my bats up. So I called home,,,,,,,,,help I am stranded. My daughter always has a boy or 2 over at the house with a vehicle. She says well Jarode has no gas and no money to buy gas. Then she mentioned my piggy bank that has nothing but penny's in it. I give her permission to crack the bank and directions to find us. About 45 min. later they show up. She says there was over $44 in the bank and we have a good laugh. They actually brought a ramp to load the wing in Jarods truck. His truck is jacked way up with huge tires on it. Pushing the wing up that ramp would not happen. So we went with the charge the bat thing. WE had to stop about 6 times along the frwy. to charge the bat. because it was prety well smoked and zilch for a charge. But we made it home without a tow bill.

Since then I have installed a compu fire alternator ,,,,,,,,,with 90 amps. capacity, and a new starter solinoid. I also put in a voltmeter, so I can keep an eye on whats going on. You would think that a bike as expensive as a wing would have one already. :gunhead: I am kind of at a loss as whether to think of this as bad luck or a mix of both. Because it could have been a lot worse. We could have broke down in the middle of the park.I plan on making the trip again before summer is over,,,,,,,, and just maybe we will make it this time.

Keep the wind in your face Dragonass

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
imported post

You sound like a resourceful kind of guy, and thats a good thing.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

lucky too ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.