1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

THE FORUM SEARCH ENGINE
How come it don't work? Or does it really work after all?

Hey! Did you notice that the first two lines of this thread are the same as the Title and the Sub-Title ? Well, they are, check me out here :grinner:
Why did I do that? Well, it is because I have found out from talking to reliable sources that the Forum Search Engine does not index the titles, only the text area. So, all those searches I have been doing for the title that NEVER gave me any results, AND frustrated me no end is because it was never designed to search titles. Oh well, now on to the Rest of The Show…

This thread sort of came about from my frustration with trying to find something of relevance to me when using the WowUltra's Forum Search Engine.

Am I the only one that isn't exactly thrilled with it presenting to you the most relevant thread related to what you are looking for? Give it more than a couple of words to look for and the search results pretty much come to a halt. With the forum being as busy as it is, and with the WowUltra indexing every thread AS IT IS BEING POSTED, your request to find something with Search gets kicked on to the List of Things To Do Later. :)

I have found out though, that IF you are patient, and IF you are willing to painstakingly read every thread that it gives you, you will find what you are looking for Eventually. Not perfect, but it does work. I am going to present here some things I have noticed. This article was put together over several hours, so it is kind of herky jerky. But it is FREE for you to read, so KwitchYourBellyAching :doh: :waving:

EDIT:

Search is NOT sorting by Most Recent Date. I don't know how it is doing it, but it is not using dates as a relevance factor.

The thread titled "Sea Foam 100% Happy......" is very current, but search can't find it and I would bet that one thread is using the words "Sea Foam" more than any other thread out there.

----------------------------

EDIT: This is after about 3 hours of going through the Search Results trying to find the thread I mentioned above. "100% Happy....."
I put a lot of time into this because I wanted to try to determine "how is" the search engine tabulating the Index ?? Well, I think I have somewhat determined that it is "somewhat linear" by Date of Original Post.

I am thinking that if the word that is being indexed shows up in the Index already, it is dropped as irrelevant because that word has already been posted in the index.

So, where did I find the thread I wanted? It was Result #201. That's pretty sloppy if what you want is to retrieve a thread that was Extremely Relevant to a topic you have been reading about and it just went by a couple of days ago, or last week or the week before.

----------------------------

EDIT:
Most folks are going to simply stop reading searches if the first page of results does not give them anything they want. So, what do we do? I don't know, but someone suggested some time back about using Google's search engine in Advanced Mode and making it search only a dedicated web link. In our case, http://www.goldwingfacts.com

Here is a Screen Shot of the Google Advance Search Engine

So, if you want to find "a phrase" like we are accustomed to doing in Google, then you are going to have the best results using Google to find that for you. The downside of Google though is that Google's search robots trolling might be a bit behind. Whereas the Forum's search engine is always current. The phrase "current" as mentioned does NOT mean though that it is presenting to you something that was just posted recently. Especially if that post was on the tail end of a thread that was started a Long Time Ago. Deer Alerts comes to mind :grinner: , anybody remember when that one was created? I don't either, but it sure wasn't this week. So, if you are searching for something in that thread. The fastest way to do it is hit the End of Search results and then start backwards.

EDIT: This one contributed by Waskel

John, here's another alternative. Using the site: parameter you can use Google to search a specific website, which is pretty much what have a site specific advanced Google search is doing anyway.

For instance, I went to Google and entered

Seafoam 100% happy site:http://www.goldwingfacts.com

(entered as one line of text, this forum makes the links stand out)

as my search criteria. The thread you were looking for was the top result, with the first post in the thread being the first result. Give it a try.

The syntax is simply searchstring site:url

Thanks Waskel :waving:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

:cool:Thanks John:cool:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

I must have gotton really lucky becsuse when I search for anything relating to the WingI usually find it on this site really quickly :cool:.

Great info all the same

Eric

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

It's really good info.

I have had really bad luck using the search forum. So much so that I usually give up and post a new message and ask the question over again.

I find that sometimes people get frustrated with that, but usually most are very understanding and tolerate it well. Especially on this forum, people are very helpful. I have been on other forums where I have seen people criticized for not searching for the answer to a question, but I haven't seen that happen here in a long time. It's very rare here. That's a big part of why I like this forum and the people that are here.

Sometimes its a question of imagination, how should I word the search to get results. Sometimes a person just doesn't think of the right way and then someone else comes up with it and posts the link. But I can't recall ever once seeing anyone do it with attitude here,I have seen attitudes on other forums.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey all, as reported in the Sea Foam thread, that Search Engine can be a frustrating beast.

:D

I learned a lesson with the search engine: :action:

Search String results are only valid during the Session You Are Looking At Them and only On The Computer That Did The Searching. :shock:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

It used to work very well even though it's fairly basic with no fine tuning options, but the sheer volume of posts these days is making it hard work for the Search tool. I know that Jim at Ultra is going to revamp it, but it won't make the current upgrade which is being rolled out this week. I had hoped Jim would get it done for now, but I'll give him reminders once the current upgrade is done and he has time to do this for us.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Maybe you're using ADSL, My sister-in-law is on ADSL and it is sooooo sloowwww compared to cable, just joking John of course. I did a few trolling exercises and got nowhere fast. Actually it is easier to ask here than search because some chap or other will give you a personalised edition complete with shortcut in a matter of moments and that in itself makes it more personable as part of a group therapy session maybe.

But thanks for searching anyway.....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Deer Alerts comes to mind :grinner: , anybody remember when that one was created? I don't either, but it sure wasn't this week. So, if you are searching for something in that thread.
There are a couple of things wrong with your post AZ1500, it was the deer alerts thread that broke the search function. Broke the spirit of many people too. The last thing anyone should do is search in that thread with google, then that engine will crap out too. That is such a humungous compilation of drivel and a downright insult to intelligence and literacy that it damages both computer and man. Luckily I've never read that crap and I certainly haven't posted there so I'm almost normal. You shouldn't ever speak of that thread, and certainly shouldn't recommend causing a malfunction in a major search engine by applying that pustulant prose pursuant a popularprogram.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:doh: :waving:

Paul, you crack me up. I admit, I've never seen you post on that forum that was called........."uh, I forget now" :grinner:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
so I'm almost normal.
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
imported post

John, here's another alternative. Using the site: parameter you can use Google to search a specific website, which is pretty much what have a site specific advanced Google search is doing anyway.

For instance, I went to Google and entered

(entered as one line of text, this forum makes the links stand out)

as my search criteria. The thread you were looking for was the top result, with the first post in the thread being the first result. Give it a try.

The syntax is simply searchstring site:url

John. (a different one)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Great tip Waskel, I haven't used it that way yet.
I'm accustomed to entering addresses sort of like that in their mapping program:

ie, from: StartAddress to: EndAddress

I know that when done on a single line it works just like you describe.

Thanks for that tip :waving:

I shall use that info and go back and edit the post and provide it also. :)

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
imported post

The longhand way would be to use Google Advanced search, which gives you more options and will let you search within a site or domain.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Waskel wrote:
The longhand way would be to use Google Advanced search, which gives you more options and will let you search within a site or domain.
Waskel, just for grins I inserted that string into my Google Search prompt bar at the top of my Firefox browser. Just exactly like you posted:

I was very disappointed to note that it was extremely sloooow giving me the search results :D. I almost felt the <enter> key return to "normal" when the display of results was on my screen :cooldevil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.