Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been satisfied with the look of my 94 SE. The problem is that it looks like everone elses. I've been planning, researching, and pricing the changes/upgrades I want to do. So last night I tore down the front end to replace the steering head bearings, and decided I might as waell start the changes.

I had my front wheel powder coated black a couple years ago, and was using it with the WoF, and the small spoke "Lasers". After I finished the tear down, and stopped the bleeding I got started. My Dad told me "If you are working on something and don't draw blood, you din't do it right". I removed the Wof, and the lasers and will not be using them when I get finished. I know Honda wanted to make certain you can't see any bolts on the 1500, but it covers up alot of stuff that you need to keep an eye on.

This is the first step on the "Less is More" project. I will be posting parts in the classified as I remove them. I don't have a bunch I will be getting rid of, but I will only list the stuff that is worth selling. I'll put that $ back into the Wing.

My next project may be powder coating the lower forks black. I'll do that when I tear tham down for new bushings and seals.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finished replacing the Steering Head Bearings, and the wing feels great. Since I had to take the front end apart, I decided to give it a good cleaning, and remove the “Bling”. After removing the chrome covers, I realized that I can now check the air pressure, and the brakes without breaking out the tool kit. I also like the look of the front end. My future plans are to fully powder coat the front wheel and the lower forks Black. The Speedo cable bracket will be reworked, along with the chrome bracket that the speedo cable now runs through. If I decide to rebuild the calipers, I’ll have them powder coated too. I do need to find a fender cover for the right side.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I too have left the rotor covers off and enjoy the looks better without them even though the ring of fire gets the likes of onlookers at night on the chrome wheels.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
How about take all plastic out. Install ape hangers. Loud pipes save a life too... Several flames and skulls... Take off seat and install rusty metal plate... Do not forget some ink on yourself. Rememer to get some bi**** on the rear fender.:lash:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
beenshot

I hope that bumper has more than the ABS to attach to, like a metal brace behind the fender that is attached to the forkleg as the weight of that type bumper over time has broken several 1500 front fenders recently(in posts here) where the fender mounts at the forkbrace. Granted the 1800 fender has the lower section, does it bolt at the bottom near the axle?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After work today, I'll be getting a quote to powder coat all that nasty shiney chrome and aluminum parts.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
beenshot

I hope that bumper has more than the ABS to attach to, like a metal brace behind the fender that is attached to the forkleg as the weight of that type bumper over time has broken several 1500 front fenders recently(in posts here) where the fender mounts at the forkbrace. Granted the 1800 fender has the lower section, does it bolt at the bottom near the axle?
shouldn't be a problem, it actually just uses longer bolts to replace the original bolts that hold the fender to the forks.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
It should be good. Glad Honda added the extra fastening there to alleviate the breakage.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made some progress on my Wing. Since I don't have the $ for powder coating at this time, I've resorted to paint to atleast get the bike to look how I want it to. I'll get the parts done a few at a time as long as they don't interfere with riding.

Front end was done when I mounted my Battleax.

I updated the side vents also.

The most cash I've had to spend has been for paint and clear. Everthing else including the new tire has been paid for by selling my old parts.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I haven't been satisfied with the look of my 94 SE. The problem is that it looks like everone elses.
Made me think of the Wing World magazine where they show pictures of peoples Goldwings. Hilarious. Each one looks like the same bike with a different old, fat guy in front of it. Sometimes the amount of chrome changes but other than that they all look the same. Good on you for sliding off on your own. :claps:

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Terry, that is my reason exactly for changing the look of the Wing. I've been at places where other wings have gathered, and had people get confused who's bike belonged to who. That's not going to happen with my Wing any more.

I have more items coming in from my parts (eBay) house in a couple weeks. I hope that by the end of March I will able to reveal the next Phase.

Thanks for the Support.

Ride Safe
Rich

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
I've been at places where other wings have gathered, and had people get confused who's bike belonged to who./QUOTE]

I don't have that problem in our GWRRA group. MIne is always the shiniest.

The rest of them, well they are just different colors.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Made me think of the Wing World magazine where they show pictures of peoples Goldwings. Hilarious. Each one looks like the same bike with a different old, fat guy in front of it. Sometimes the amount of chrome changes but other than that they all look the same. Good on you for sliding off on your own. :claps:
Terry, I had a good laugh at that comment. Richman, I like what you're doing. I'm currently dechroming my black '94 Aspencade to make it look more like the F6B without losing the trunk.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I like what you've done, looks great! Keep up the good work!

What is the piece over the side maker light? You may have just given me an idea... hmmm

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Outlaw, that piece came from the PO. It's a chromed metal cover that painted black. When I have the $$, I will get it powder coated black. I'm also going to remove the current bolts, and replace them with Allen heads. The mesh over the vent is very hard to find, unless your doing Stucco work.

Ride Safe

Rich

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info. I've been trying to think of some way to put an emblem or something on my bike once I'm done with the EFI project. Maybe something like this might be a good option. I know that there are places that will do lazer cutting and make just about any design you want. I'm not looking for anything gawdy... Just something subtle that says "EFI" or something similar. I'm not even against using an existing automotive emblem if I can find one I like and a good place to put it...

I also like the mesh over the side vent, that looks really cool.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
To me those Chrome Plastic Disc brake covers always like stupid, and like they did not belong on the bike.

They look like an after thought, or is it more like a brain Fart.

Your bike looks great, I took them off of my 88' GL1500, and i also took them off of my 99' GL1500

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Curious... just how much is powder coating?

As an example...

A GL1100 frame-

How much would an average high gloss black paint job vs a flat black paint job vs powder coating?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.