Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A compilation video for those who appreciate the Goldwing for more than a leisurely ride. I apologize in advance for all the video glitches during upload. I just couldn't fix it.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Dooku is the primary antagonist!

Nice job Darksider! May the force be with you! I'm on my second set of D Darksideing.

The dents and scrapes on the right side, are they from draggin in the corners or going down?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dooku is the primary antagonist!

Nice job Darksider! May the force be with you! I'm on my second set of D Darksideing.

The dents and scrapes on the right side, are they from draggin in the corners or going down?
From dragging around corners. Luckily, the Wing has never been down. Stuck in sand, but never down:ROFL:I realized I put this in the technical forum. I'll have to repost. Sorry

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Maybe a moderator will move it.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Cool - - - and love the helmet in the video... I once had a Honda mechanic tell me that most of us do not or can not ride anywhere near the performance envelope that was designed into the Gold Wing... I always thought that was pretty true and certainly true in my case...

I'm a pretty fair rider but the Wing has a lot more performance left in her envelope than I do in mine ;)

Les

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Some of those section remined me of my 3000 miles trip the summer with similar results ;).

very good video.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I'm to old to want anything but a leisurely ride anymore. But the fact is that most riders never get close to the capabilities of any bike. A lot of new riders start out with something like a Ninja 250, and with a month claim they have outgrown it and want/need something much bigger and faster. I owned a Ninja 250 for several years, and most riders would need clean underwear if they actually experienced what a Ninja 250 is capable of. VERY few ever find out before trading up. I no longer have the strength to handle a Goldwing like that, and if I did want to and was able to ride like that again, I would probably want a smaller lighter bike to do it on, maybe a 919 or 599.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I dont think I have ever pushed a bike like that.. just dont have a death wish yet..but who knows life is full of surprises.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I tried roadracing on a CBR600 many years ago, it was just not for me. I rented the bike and gear at a local track day, and in talking to other riders, it seemed they had all crashed, some multiple times, and all expected to crash again. On the other hand I raced MX when I was a teenager, crashed a lot and got banged up a lot. And I am now feeling the long term consequences of those injuries. But somehow there still seems to be a major difference between crashing on dirt and crashing on asphalt.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Suppose everyone is different. I've got hurt worst mountain biking than motocross or on the track on a sportbike! Complete reconstruction of my right ankle due to a mountain biking accident.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I Know the Wing can be very sporty But how do you keep from blowing the front shocks on dirt roads??? I have seen folks rideing wings on trails and dirt roads sand SNOW ie Mr. Emit Sooto around the world ride. My left front shock is weeping now and thinking about going with a monotube.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I Know the Wing can be very sporty But how do you keep from blowing the front shocks on dirt roads??? I have seen folks rideing wings on trails and dirt roads sand SNOW ie Mr. Emit Sooto around the world ride. My left front shock is weeping now and thinking about going with a monotube.
The best thing to do is to disable the ADV and upgrade your fork springs. In addition, if you wish to upgrade your fork valving, my top two choices would be Traxxion and RaceTech. I've ridden a Wing with Monotubes and I can tell you it did not handle near as well as my RaceTech setup.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
Cool Video! I gotta tell a lil story about me and my old 1200 Aspencade.

I thought i would show my ass a couple years ago by coming around the corner in front of my house as hard as i could go,on a tar & chip road,in front of my buddies.

I came upon the corner and downshifted to 2nd gear,layed the 1200 over and about half way thru,the ass end broke loose.The motorcycle got COMPLETELY sideways in the road,leaving 10-12" wide sidewall marks for 20 feet or so. When it broke loose i naturally let off the throttle and when i did,to my surprise,the bike started standing up.As it stood up i got back on the thottle,with the handlebars pointing left,and PULLED STRAIGHT OUT OF THE SLIDE!!! Iknow,i could have been high sided very easy.My buds were jumping up and down,all saying they could not believe i could ride a Goldwing like that. I had to tell them....Man,most of it my friends,was LUCK,but at the same time,the bike worked with me PERFECTLY. I DO race a 750hp dirtcar,but never dreamed this fat wing would take on a slide and pull out of it when the bars were scraping the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is how a Gold Wing should be ridden!! While I take it a little easier these days I still take it to the limit from time to time on my 86 (the one without the sidecar).

My first Wing was a 76 with Pacifico fairing and Califia Fats bags and trunk. Beefed up suspension, lower ration gear set, and heavier oil in the shocks and forks. Both sides had thrown their share of sparks, and never once did it try to slide out from under me. Two up with the ex on the back, a nice crooked road, and ran off and left quiet a few cafe racer style crotch rockets behind.

Dookoo shows how much fun it can be.

Thanks for the video.

Max

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
with all due respect to the skilled riders, I don't see the point in this riding style with a heavy touring bike..for sure , the performance envelope of the goldwing is maybe wider than the majority of these bike's owners usually try to test, still it was not designed to such extreme riding. if you want to test your adrenalin production , why buy a goldwing? why not a R1? a GSXR etc. ??IMHO it's more fun to grind your sliders with such bikes and maybe even safer..

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
with all due respect to the skilled riders, I don't see the point in this riding style with a heavy touring bike..for sure , the performance envelope of the goldwing is maybe wider than the majority of these bike's owners usually try to test, still it was not designed to such extreme riding. if you want to test your adrenalin production , why buy a goldwing? why not a R1? a GSXR etc. ??IMHO it's more fun to grind your sliders with such bikes and maybe even safer..
The Goldwing is the best bike I own. I have a track bike, a motocross bike, a desert bike, a stunt bike, etc. I have video of these too but this is a Goldwing forum. The bike in my avatar is my track bike. It is the most comfortable bike from point A to point B, I can carry all my gear/tools, and take along my wife to boot.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
They weren't designed to pull a trailer either,but thousands of riders do.

This fellas video,IMO,only HELPS with the design of the NEXT Goldwing.If you don't think the engineers don't pay attention to tests like this one,you are mistaken.I DO however,agree with you,if an average rider wants to ride full throttle,the average Joe might be able to do so a lot easier on a bike designed for such.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
They weren't designed to pull a trailer either,but thousands of riders do.

This fellas video,IMO,only HELPS with the design of the NEXT Goldwing.If you don't think the engineers don't pay attention to tests like this one,you are mistaken.I DO however,agree with you,if an average rider wants to ride full throttle,the average Joe might be able to do so a lot easier on a bike designed for such.
do you really beleive that the designers of the coming years goldwing will be influenced to improve the racing ability of the goldwing after waching this clip? I doubt it.. designers try to focus on the expectations of the typical goldwing owner, not on the rare few that do exterme stunts with this bike..
and about the trailer pulling? that's a good example to what I am saying. thousands of goldwing owners are interested in solutions to carry more equipment on long trips because they are primarily tourers not racers. this is a challenge to the engineers.not the ablity of the bike to grind the crush guards..

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
do you really beleive that the designers of the coming years goldwing will be influenced to improve the racing ability of the goldwing after waching this clip? I doubt it.. designers try to focus on the expectations of the typical goldwing owner, not on the rare few that do exterme stunts with this bike..
and about the trailer pulling? that's a good example to what I am saying. thousands of goldwing owners are interested in solutions to carry more equipment on long trips because they are primarily tourers not racers. this is a challenge to the engineers.not the ablity of the bike to grind the crush guards..
I fully respect your opinion.This IS 'testing' that will help.As for this video,i don't classify THIS video as being,'exteme stunts', but rather a test of frame stress,fork flex,suspension movements,Big tire grip,rim flex,center of gravity,flip,braking,accident manuver ability,all while maintaining riding comfort,all done on such a heavy machine,to build a yet safer,more confortable machine.For example,take a spin in a new CADILAC. Great testing as we see it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.