Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I went to the local HD mega store to cash in a $50 prize I won at a poker run a year ago. While the wife was picking out her prize I sat on an Ultra. Couldn't get the thing off the kickstand without backbreaking effort. I am of medium size and strength and had a real hard time, even without wife and all she packs on the Wing, which I have no problem with. Got home, tried the same with Mr. Wing, felt like a moped. Is it just me? I could never own the HD without a chiro on retainer.

I have to admit I enjoy the HD dealership as it lives and breathes motorcycles. Aways nice people and a feel good atmosphere. The local Honda dealer feels dull by comparison as you walk past chain saws, leave blowers etc and finally find a few cycles in the back.

I feel better now this is off my chest, and would like to hear from others who are tempted but will not cross the line to join the masses.

Jim, 2 Wings and a Stratoliner

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Agree Honda dealerships are boring.Maybe its because there is little maintenance needed on the bikes they sell as we don't have go there so often.most of the bling we buy is on the internet.Believe many harley riders get their buddy's to go down to local dealer as a group ride and then stop for a cold one on the way home...MHO..

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

The Harley is a nice handling bike. I just sold my 2006 Elecra glide classic. Back riding my 1985 Goldwing, no problem but i wont say i will never have another Harley.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I think Harleys are a blast. Always had one for decades, but wife is a princess and loves her comforts. Also, we go for longer rides nowdays.

I've got myself spoiled now as well. & love being able to ride 400-500 miles per day on a wandering trip & feel comfortable the entire day. Then being able to do it day after day.....my old bones wouldn't find that enjoyable on a 2-banger anymore.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
imported post

I used to like mine :crying: before Penske's Freightliner killed it :headbanger:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I think it really depends on what the individual wants in a ride. For comfort and lack of rumble, I'll take the wing any day of the week. However, if you want a bike that can manuver rapidly and in a short radius...HD is the way to go, speaking from experience.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the dealer where Jimreut shops is like the one here where I live!
Walk in it now and it's full of atv's with one Goldwing, one 750, a couple of crotch rockets, several scooters and dirtbikes along with Exmark mowers, Honda mowers, Honda generators, chainsaws etc....plus a couple of those new Honda side by side atv's. Those things are as big as Jeep!

Bikes are "secondary" at this dealer.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

Hey Jim,

If you ever have the opportunity to go to the Honda Dealership in Tupelo, Ms., you'd leave there bug-eyed. First of all, there are numerous bikes(all Honda) on display, with a warehouse loaded with 4-wheelers and bikes. I have never been in a Honda Dealership with the accessories on display. So normally you are correct with you desription of a Honda Dealership but not in Tupelo. They have a web site.

:jumper::jumper:

TootaWing

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

The Harley is a man's machine and most men can get it off the kickstand without any backbreaking effort. As for the Harley dealerships they're supported by all Harley riders unlike Honda dealerships, Harley riders will detour miles to pickup a dealer t-shirt and look for stuff. The core Harey riders buy and spend cash on their bikes without thinking "I can get it cheaper off the net.". When I worked at the bike shop the Harley riders were my best customers. Most other brands of riders were cheap and whiners especially the Honda riders. That's the way it is.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

After reading all the comments, I am beginning to think it is a Honda dealer requirement to place bikes in among the mowers, mopeds, chainsaws and leaf blowers. We have two dealerships within 60 miles and both are this way! (good guys though):)

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

Ahhh Haaa! more evidence that women are smarter than men! i.e, " a man's bike!" By the way, this Wing Rider does not whine, he growls! (It just sounds like whining..) Now where is that part on e-bay, I know I can beat the dealer's price by a mile!:dude:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

I have several dealerships that sell motorcycles in my area. The only ones that sells nothing but motorcyclesareHarley and BMW and they sell only their motorcycles. One of the local dealerships that sells Goldwings also sells various brands of tourers and cruisers. They areare very friendly and offer a good experience and atmosphere. They don't sell lawn mowers or chainsaws, but do offer ATV's and mopeds, and all four walls have accessories on them.They have no less than 10 Goldwings on the showroom floor. The other local Honda dealer acts like they could care less if they ever sell another bike or part ever again.The local Harley has3 Classics/Ultras a Roadking, and couple of other bikes. The worst dealership in my area is the local BMW.

When I was looking, I did like the atmosphere at the local Harley. I sat on a 2008 Ultra-Classic and it seemed to come right up off the stand with little effort. The seat seemed smaller between the tank and backrest and it was a little higher off the ground than my 1500. The salesman seemed genuinely interested in helping me as did the better of the Honda dealers, but the BMW guys seemed like snobs. I got more info about BMW's top tourer from a customer in the parking lot than from the staff. Guess they just weren't interested in any body pulling up on a goldwing.

The only thing I didn't like about the local Harley dealership is that they will not let you test ride any of their bikes. You can rent one for a day or two, but no test rides, not even a two year old rental! This is the only dealership that will not let you test ride one of their bikes. I am puzzled buy this strategy. I test rode an 1800 Wing three times before I bought one. Always one that was brand new!

Anyway, It's wing number three for me. Guess I'mjust a Winger. Harleys are nice, but not for me. Perhaps if Ihad room formore than one bike, I would consider a Harley.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think I am going to trade my Wing off and get a Hardly. I just put a new clutch switch on mine this past Sunday, yesterday on the big Veterans Day ride we had it was acting up again. I looked at it, made sure some dummy like me had not installed it wrong, ran a continuity check through it, sure nuff, it is a brand new bad switch.

I think it is time for a Hardly. :D:D Kit

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

Ihaveridden 4 different Gold Wings for over 25 years now. No problem - my nephew prefers his 06 Ultra. He stands 6' 2" and has no problem with the sidestand thing. It is not comfortable for me though. We ride together whenever we can though.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Side stand help for any bike: Turn the handlebar to the right before standing it up. It just kinda rolls right on up. Be careful the first time, you'll about toss it on over.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

As far as my favorite bike is concerned; it is the one with the key in it and I can ride. Each bike has it own personality, good and bad points. And as far as reliability is concerned; I have seen all brands of bikes with 100,000 plus miles on them with no problems. Day in and day out, the Wing has to be the most comfortable and reliable bike on the market. But I can and do enjoy riding anything with two wheels!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

it is true that the hd leans further into the stand.... but the advantage is I never have to worry about a small up-hill incline to my left when I park it... and it takes a bit of a nudge to get it moving

my experience is the ladies seem to like the softtails (no pun intended) because the seat is closer to the ground giving a lower center of gravity... our hog chapter has sveral ladies who drive

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.